SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#261713 - 04/17/09 10:37 PM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
Lucky2Bhere Offline

There's something I noticed after playing the PA2xPro. The styles were too strong and too busy! While they sounded fantastic the first few times around, I found them to be irritating as they go on and especially while I'm trying to improvise on a song.

For me, an ideal arranger would have many various dance styles (still only one Schlager), but be as basic as possible. I think the excitement should come from how you play the song, and not the overuse of complex drum patterns.

In all fairness, I could be wrong. That was only my initial impression. I'm looking forward to playing it again in the near future to form a 2nd opinion.

Anyone else happen to experience what I did?

Lucky

#261714 - 04/18/09 06:25 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
The styles were too strong and too busy! While they sounded fantastic the first few times around, I found them to be irritating as they go on and especially while I'm trying to improvise on a song.

Anyone else happen to experience what I did?

Lucky

No, not my experience - they're musical and inspiring. Sounds like you're a candidate for the rat-a-tat styles board.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#261715 - 04/18/09 06:26 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
No, not my experience - they're musical and inspiring. Sounds like you're a candidate for the rat-a-tat styles board.

That was funny!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid..com
www.77bucks.com Affordable web design

#261716 - 04/18/09 12:09 PM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What each of us need in styles varies dramatically. A lot depends on skill level (if you don't play much, your arranger needs to play more), a lot depends on what you use it for (if you mostly sing, and use the arranger for accompaniment, you need a different level of playing density to if you are playing a lot yourself), etc., etc..

What works perfectly for one is a busy mush for another. Arrangers are, in a way, just like bands... some overplay, some underplay, some get it just right, but only when they are backing one particular frontman.

Personally, I think style density (not just how many parts are playing, but how busy each one is) is probably one of the MOST important considerations when it comes to deciding whether you like an arranger or not. Forget the sounds, forget the OS... Do the ROM styles leave JUST the right amount of space for how YOU like to play? Get that wrong, and it doesn't matter too much whether the sounds are great, or the panel layout is perfect or not...

Just a thought...

#261717 - 04/18/09 01:29 PM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
zuki Offline

Good points Diki - I agree. I love to play with the band and play between parts. With the 800, it is the very best band I've ever played with and that includes many competent and trained musicians from the past I can humbly say the 800 makes me sound much better than I really am. I've also learned a lot in the process.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#261718 - 04/18/09 01:40 PM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
zuki Offline

Lucky,

I understand your concerns.

My 800 story:

I was busy gigging and doing just fine with the S900. Donny's enthusiasm and reports on the 800 got me all excited and I ended up buying his.

I gave up on the 800 too quickly. What I did was try to compare styles between the 2 boards and it wasn't going smooth and fast enough. I initially thought the 800 just didn't have enough versatility.

What I really did was try to dumb down the 800. It won't let you do that and should not even be attempted

After I let it go and kept with the 900, I immediately longed for the drums/bass and interesting features I did like. I decided to try again and SURE AM GLAD I DID.

It took a good 6 months in my studio before I left the house with it. I still had reservations, but after my first live performance, I came home and sold the 900 the next day.

Now in my 2nd year, I continue to be amazed with this wonderful board. There are so many hidden features that shine in live play.

From what I've heard from you, I wouldn't give up on it just yet

#261719 - 04/18/09 10:58 PM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Mikey. Can i go right back to the begining and ask you why you are considering changing keyboard in the first place ? I have heard the clips you posted on youtube o your great entertainment for the kids at that school and as i understand it most of your clientelle are children . What functionality are you looking for that you feel you need that you dont already have on your T2 ?

#261720 - 04/19/09 12:38 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:

It took a good 6 months in my studio before I left the house with it. I still had reservations

zuki-6 months to prep? You must have the patience of a saint. I don't know man, I was considering Korg, but I think you just helped me come back to my senses.haha

I really am not into tweaking. I prefer knocking background instruments in and out on the fly to give me a different kind of live sound every time.

Guess I"ll just have to stick with my rat-a-tat Tryos 2.hehehe

Scott

#261721 - 04/19/09 05:03 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
Hi Mikey. Can i go right back to the begining and ask you why you are considering changing keyboard in the first place ? I have heard the clips you posted on youtube o your great entertainment for the kids at that school and as i understand it most of your clientelle are children . What functionality are you looking for that you feel you need that you dont already have on your T2 ?

I am not planning on ditching the tyros 2. I would like to have some other variety. At the resort I perform at in cape cod, there is a growing number of older children and teens. They are hoping for more mature songs to be mixed in. They are asking for covers of stuff like the Jonas brothers, high school musical etc. I have had a difficult time trying to get styles onboard the T2 to work in that setting. The korg has a little better engine for that style of music. I also use the music finder every show religiously. I am intrigued by the songbook feature. The lack of user ram on the yamaha line bugs me beyond reason. When I try to incorporate 3rd party style to acomplish my needs I'm not allowed to utilize the music finder with them due to space limitations.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Tyros but id like to see if there is something that can fill in what's missing in the gaps.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid..com
www.77bucks.com Affordable web design

#261722 - 04/19/09 07:21 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
zuki-6 months to prep? You must have the patience of a saint. I don't know man, I was considering Korg, but I think you just helped me come back to my senses.haha

I really am not into tweaking. I prefer knocking background instruments in and out on the fly to give me a different kind of live sound every time.

Guess I"ll just have to stick with my rat-a-tat Tryos 2.hehehe

Scott

Hi Scott,

6 months because of my busy work schedule and very limited time to devote to it. Also, I like to create medleys and have a flow of material for live play. This took figuring out the OS, Songbook, suitable styles, intros, endings and of course balancing/ changing instruments, eqing, etc.

It was well worth it

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online