SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#260337 - 03/30/09 06:23 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
jzzct Offline

hated having to play that "stuff", left it and am finally happy

my heart goes out to all you jazz lovers

#260338 - 03/30/09 10:37 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You might have noticed that most marriages are young people getting married. At least the one's were they do more than go down to the Court House...

Young people listen to hiphop. rap and contemporary pop. But how many of us even ATTEMPT to play that stuff? If bands or even OMB's are getting rarer at weddings, they only have themselves to blame...

#260339 - 03/30/09 11:11 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Guys,
I'm lucky, I don't have an audience to play to at the moment, (except "The Gardener"),
so I only play what I like all the time, and I love it. Beats working anytime.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#260340 - 03/30/09 11:42 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've got two different audiences... four hours or so a day, I have people that pay me to play what THEY want to hear. Then the rest of the day, I have just me, and play what I want to play.

And, if I'm lucky, quite often the two audiences like the same music!

Life is good!

#260341 - 04/02/09 12:31 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
How ironically strange! I'd just written a few days ago that I've heard Joe Spivey play fiddle, but I've never really met him or played with him.
Then, yesterday, I was asked to fill in on accordion for a western swing band because their normal keyboard player couldn't be there. So, I show up, and discover that Jerry Krahn, their usual guitarist, couldn't make the gig either and guess who was filling in for him? Yep, Joe Spivey was the sub guitarist. What a nice guy. Met him and his wife. For a guy mostly known around here as a fiddle player, he's a heck of a good guitarist as well.

#260342 - 04/02/09 02:11 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I HAVE to tell this story. Back in about 1979, shortly after I moved to Shreveport, I had a job for which I needed a bass player.
I didn't want to haul my organ so I was playing guitar. Also had a rhythm guitar/singer and a drummer.
Anyway, I didn't know many people around here at the time, but I did know an aspiring song writer/singer by the name of Kenny Beard. He as still in the Air Force, and since has moved to Nashville also and is very succesfull. Anyway, Kenny gave me a number and said call Joe. So I called "Joe" and he asked how much, when and were, and said he'd be there.
Everything was going pretty well, when about halfway through the job, somebody asked for a song I couldn't play on the guitar. I'm REALLY not a guitar player. I asked the singer if he knew the song and he said yes. I asked Joe, and he said yes. Then something made me ask him if he could play guitar, and he said yes.
Well, we switched between bass and guitar, and all of a sudden notes and chords and sounds started coming from that guitar like never before. Needless to say, I was very content to play bass the rest of the night.
That was my introduction to Joe Spivey. He can play most any instrument and all of them very well.
I asked him years later if he remembered that night, and he did. I asked him why he didn't tell me to put that guitar down a couple hours earlier, and he said he didn't want to hurt my feelings!!!
DonM

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online