SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#260317 - 03/24/09 09:18 AM Do you LIKE what you play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm talking about the material, not the instrument.

Frankly, I'm luke-warm, at best about the material I have to play to work regularly.

First, I'm not an entertainer, so I get my satisfaction from the playing part of the effort, not the entertaining.

Second, there is literally no way to play my preference; hard-line jazz, around here, and work regularly.

Third, the work is playing quietly, taking a back seat to an over-priced ham sandwich.

And finally, the only thing that doesn't drive me up the wall is playing "Cool Jazz", which, is often re-processed rock tunes, played with a slightly different attitude and approach. Think Masquerade, I Love You More Today Than Yesterday, Let's Stay Together, Here, There and Everywhere, Lady Blue and similar material. That's acceptible to me, but not ideal.

Don't get me wrong-I'm happy to be involved in the business. The reason this has come up is, I have a chance to demo for a manufacturer of a new amplifier and one of my favorite guitar manufacturers. Work would be at music store-sponsored work-shops and trade shows. Money is good, but the travel schedule would mean that my normal playing schedule would have to change dramatically.

After working for 50 plus years in the "trenches", this would be a major change.

Question: do you like what and where you play? Other than achieving instant star/millionaire status, what would you alter to make your involvement in muasic more fulfilling?

R.

#260318 - 03/24/09 10:19 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I'm talking about the material, not the instrument. .........

Question: do you like what and where you play? Other than achieving instant star/millionaire status, what would you alter to make your involvement in muasic more fulfilling?
R.

I like MOST of my gigs, but for me, the ones where I can inter-act with the audience are the BEST ... in the CC gigs where I'm 'wallpaper' (playing second fiddle not to a 'ham sandwich', but more likely a filet mignon... ), I try to develop a rapport with the staff, and inter-act with them as the night goes on ...
but even at the CC gigs, invariably SOME people will say "thanks, the music was great, thanks for playing ______(fill in the blank with whatever song they particularly liked) ", even though I've wondered if anyone was listening ...

If I could change anything, it would be that I would take the time to really STUDY music, and learn to play JAZZ, even if just for myself ...

t.

#260319 - 03/24/09 10:28 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The music itself... not a thing. Whether it is rock, reggae or country, as a performing musician, the enjoyment for me comes from the best execution I can bring to the material, regardless of what it is.

The venue, or management, or other musicians in the band, etc.... well that's another story! But I have always felt that, with 24 hours in a day, if what I play for the 4-8 hours I am onstage doesn't satisfy (even when the paycheck DOES ), that still leaves 16-20 hours a day for me to play what I want at home...

But as a keyboard player in a live band (or anyone that erases enough SMF tracks to present a challenge, or uses the minimal amount of arranger they can), you are expected to cover absolutely EVERYTHING that the bass/drums/guitar can't cover. That's a LOT of stuff at one time. If doing this live isn't enough of a challenge, I don't know what is!

Maybe I'm not the biggest Shania Twain fan in the world. But I really don't have much time to worry about this as I try to cover a fiddle part, a pedal steel part, a piano part and an organ part ALL AT THE SAME TIME...

And then, night off, I can always take my horn and go jam some jazz or whatever I feel like to get my other jollies.

I've played almost everything there is, and the only thing that bores me is working with other bored musicians...

Can't STAND that!

#260320 - 03/24/09 11:41 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Russ,
I sure do like what I play, Body And Soul-All The Things You Are-Desifinado-Darn That Dream etc., etc. but no one else does. So, I don't make much money and I don't get many gigs.
Anyway there are so many guitar players around that can sing and strum ten tunes and are willing to play for free, that the folks expect very cheap or free music.
If it were not for the "Rocky Mountains", I'd probably move back to New Orleans.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 03-24-2009).]

#260321 - 03/24/09 11:49 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Boo....my situatuion exactly. We like the same material. Around here, if Jimmy Buffet didn't record it...forget it!

I think it's not the meek that are going to inherit the earth, it's the rednecks!

All the things you are....FABULOUS tune!

Russ

#260322 - 03/24/09 12:35 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Pop , Rock & Blues !!

Plus whatever else happens to be in my head at the time.

But NO country / big band / swing or disco !

Later

Gary  

#260323 - 03/24/09 01:04 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
NO! To this day I just want to play on a live stage with someone like Felix Cavalieri, James Taylor or anybody really good.

The frustration actually comes from not playing at all right now.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 03-25-2009).]

#260324 - 03/24/09 02:05 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, I still enjoy making music. It really doesn't matter what kind, when I do it, it sounds pretty much like country anyway.
It's not always fun and games, but probably my worst night playing music would be better than 90% of the jobs in the world.
I've been off since last Tuesday and I still don't feel good, but I WILL be working tonight.
DonM

#260325 - 03/24/09 03:19 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
Dnj Offline

"Do you LIKE what you play?"

NO!!.......I "LOVE" IT ALL!
40 years gigging professionally & much more to come baby!I wouldn't change a thing.
I am truly blessed my friends.
We all choose our destiny in life ....if you don't like playing music dump it quick & move on to something you do enjoy simple.!
Hope to see all of you real music lovers at the Shreveport Jam January 23-27th 2010

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-24-2009).]

#260326 - 03/24/09 05:50 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
boo and Russ ... I am fortunate that my CC gigs allow me to play "the Great American Songbook" - "All The Things You Are" - my ALL TIME favorite ... and tunes out of the "Real Book" ... the other gigs are varied enough so I can mix in some RnR, Pop, country, whatever ... and a little bit of Buffet won't kill me ... ...
t.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online