SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#260258 - 03/25/09 01:39 AM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Lucky,
maybe a phone call to the salesman, and he may be able to let you know what version os , the Pa800 was running. He just has to look at the screen while it's booting up.
If I remember correctly, Don M had an early version PA800. I think he was less than impressed. I immediately upgraded to 1.51 when I bought mine, so not sure what it sounded like prior.
Sound is subjective.

A couple of the forum members who upgraded from PA800 to PA2X, thought the PA2X sounded better. Haven't heard one, so can't really comment. I've mainly stuck with the PA800 because of the onboard speakers. I find them handy. I don't need the 76 keys as I have a digital piano I can midi it to.

Hopefully you can get to play a PA2X before you decide. Ideally be great if you can get to try both the Ketron & the Korg.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#260259 - 03/25/09 05:19 AM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:

Sound is subjective.

A couple of the forum members who upgraded from PA800 to PA2X, thought the PA2X sounded better. Haven't heard one, so can't really comment.

best wishes
Rikki

I'm one of them. I played the Pa2xPro at Frank's store and I also listened to him play it. Although I don't think the specs indicate the Pa2xPro should sound better, it did to both Frank and myself.

#260260 - 03/25/09 03:32 PM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
zuki Offline

Lucky,

Glad you had a chance to explore it live. Hopefully you have a chance to listen in stereo - it makes a huge difference. Any single amp on a floor gags me...

I spend a great deal of time balancing the instruments for live play. Don't know why, but ALL keyboards' bass always drown out the rest of the instruments - I always tone those down first.

Strings: these should sound incredible! I do songs with strings that are absolutely top shelf.
Drums: I am totally happy with the drums, but that's me.
Pianos: again, if you play them in stereo, they should sound great. I love the acoustic pianos. The digitals are very good too.
Organs: The best going
Guitars: Glad you like them. They sure sound good in mixes and there are some great country styles. Add the pedal steel in the pads and wow!
Sax/Trumpet/Flute: Great
Horns: This is the one downfall IMO. That said, I do big band with patch harmony engaged it they come alive.

All I can say is everyone is different. I do believe we 'get used to' the small imperfections a board might have. I know I was disappointed in a FEW style choices I had to live with vs the 900 when I made the switch, but I got on and found ways to make them better - and now I'm happy (and I also forgot how the 900 sounded on those particular songs)

Of course, sounds and styles are the bread and butter. But if they are really up there and pretty darn good, remember the fantastic other features Korg offers. There are MANY inspiring and 'different' features this board will allow vs anything else on the market.

Good luck....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#260261 - 03/25/09 03:40 PM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Zuki, I'm beginning to suspect that you like your Korg.

#260262 - 03/25/09 04:40 PM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
zuki Offline

I know Ian. I'm tooting my own horn too much and apologize to anyone who's sick of listening to me I'll turn it off now...

Wishing everyone the joy of whatever they like!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#260263 - 03/25/09 04:53 PM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I know Ian. I'm tooting my own horn too much and apologize to anyone who's sick of listening to me I'll turn it off now...

Wishing everyone the joy of whatever they like!

Not at all, Zuki, it is nice to hear someone so positive and enthusiastic about the instrument they play.

I wish I could try one of the Korg arrangers...we still don't have them locally...I guess I'll have to wait till I go back on the road and hopefully find one at one of the dealers on the mainland.

I would probably like it, the styles sound very good and are not like anything else, which is a good thing IMO.

Ian

#260264 - 03/25/09 07:59 PM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Lucky,
I don't have a PA800...(built in speakers) I have the PA2XPRO and the sound is AWESOME...but. you need to turn on the general master EQ and maybe tweek it for your sound system and room. (This is true for PA800 and PA2XPRO)

I use Mackie HR824 powered monitors..
When I demoed it in the store OOTB..I didn't love the sound either. I tries it with phones and I think Rolands small cube speakers...BUT when I got that baby home and did a little tweeking and hooked it up to my system...I was very happy.

Lee S.

#260265 - 03/30/09 08:55 PM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Hi guys. I’ve been busy playing all last week and doing “catch-up” with everything else these last few days. In between I’ve been researching reviews and comments on the PA2x both here in the SZ (past postings) and all over the Net.

I must admit, I’m kind of worn out from trying to find time to actually “keyboard hunt” (I think it might be easier to find the “meaning of life) but your enthusiasm here keeps me going. That and a keen desire to express music ideas I have in my head.

Rikki: I DID call them about the operating system. It’s the latest one (Version 2.01)! Read your comments about the PA2X sounding better. Good because that’s what I’m going for (PA2X). However, when I called Korg, they assured me it was the same specs and sound engine as the PA800...only difference being the speakers and drawbars. I really don’t believe that’s the ONLY difference!

The 76 keys is what I’m shooting for this time around (it will be my first). 61 keys is too limiting for playing versatility, though I’m not keen on toting it around. But, I’m glad you mentioned a Controller keyboard. I’m going to give that a thought, especially after hearing that Korg M3.

Thanks for the offer of the styles...it WOULD be most appreciated!

Stephen: I would have to agree with you from what I heard so far. I only played it for about 30 minutes (the PA2x Pro), but I also thought it sounded much better than the PA800 and about as good as the Ketron...and with more contemporary features.

Zuki: Stereo...great thought. Yes, I’ll try that also. I’m going to bring my EV P.A. system that I’m used to and play it through those speakers. I have a $2K Dynacord mixer/amp I use with them that absolutely wakes those speakers up.

The EQ I’m going to work on for peak testing. I read in the manual there are “individual” EQ’s on each track and a GLOBAL EQ. Add the EQ on the amp and eventually you get EQ-it is!

The strings on the M3 REALLY impressed me. I played Beethoven’s 5th just with the strings and had a great time with it. Korg said the strings are the same on the PA2x

The drums sounded weak and thin to me (with the Big Band style), but, in all fairness, they did on the Ketron too. I’m coming to the conclusion I’m not hearing them as efficiently as I should be. The Latin sounds are great on both the Ketron and the Korg.

Woodwinds were right on the money. The trumpets also (my favorite instrument). Guitars good…organs good. Piano’s I couldn’t get a good sound. But I never got a good sound “playing” the keyboard…it always sounds better from at least a few feet away, so I must keep that in mind.

Zuki: “remember the fantastic other features Korg offers.”

Lucky: Yes, that’s the main reason I’m quite excited about this board….the things I can do with it!

Lee: Encouraging remarks again. I also think the key to this situation is in the EQ-ing. Korg said I can run two tracks out of the “outs” in the back and EQ each one on an external mixer. I’m thinking to “out” the drum track and the bass track so I can EQ them separate from the “mix.” I think those drums can easily be cleaned up from what I heard in the store.

I’m going to try and find a PA2X Pro locally to try out again now that I have a better understanding of how it works. Or I’ll just try and find the time to drive up to Frank’s place again for the “ultimate keyboard experience!”

Lucky

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online