SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#259296 - 03/11/09 12:17 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
"Like it or not, many "pros" (and semi pros) still consider Arrangers no more than "toys" I know of no one who uses on in a band of any measured success.You don't simply don't see them routinely being used by well know keyboard "professionals" except perhaps by a handful of "professional" wedding singers perhaps. "

Here's an incredible pro musician using an arranger keyboard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziA8-j8qehk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8cjq1M1dY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frtoYLjrAIM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnpqFHyMsNs&feature=related

Here is a world class pro using an arranger live on stage ...ah but he is blind some of you might say. Maybe being blind has helped this brother "see past " the blindness that keeps getting repeated on this forum about "arrangers" and "workstations"

By the way Ellis Hall composes and writes songs on this instrument and he has performed in front of thousands of people , he also has been contracted to write songs, TV, Radio and Film sound tracks as well as demoing for other pro audio equipment and yet he chooses a PSR to perform with and compose with.

Show me one major recording artist who is using the MS ???? Just one..... I have no problem with the MS. I am just saying that you cant just follow the crowd , make your own decisions about what you use to perform with in a studio or live. You cant say that no pros use an arranger live as if thats any kind of valid statement about the instruments capabilities anymore than i can say i have never seen a pro musician using the Mediastaion live as a valid statement of its capabilities. If you know your instrument and your equipment you can do anything. Talent always trumps technology ......ALWAYS

And i would humbly suggest that the problem that Dom and anyone that owns or promotes the MS as an even middle line arranger is the talent required to put the content in the instrument. Having DAW capabilities, Livestyler capabilities and VST capabilities will not help.

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 03-11-2009).]

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 03-11-2009).]

#259297 - 03/11/09 01:05 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nashville Music Row users Yamaha PSR arranger workstations for their writers when they brainstorm.

Melissa Manchester, Martina McBride, David Paich (Toto) , David Bryant (Bon Jovi), are a few others that use Yamaha arrangers as writing tools.

Ian

#259298 - 03/11/09 01:14 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Nashville Music Row users Yamaha PSR arranger workstations for their writers when they brainstorm.

Melissa Manchester, Martina McBride, David Paich (Toto) , David Bryant (Bon Jovi), are a few others that use Yamaha arrangers as writing tools.

Ian

Im not surpised at all they sound great for anything in the right hands.

#259299 - 03/11/09 01:25 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
It's not just Yamaha arrangers. Arranger are EVERYWHERE. Just because you don't see them on stages doesn't mean they're not being used in studios. Arrangers by Yamaha, Korg, and Roland ARE in studios of the pros and in their homes. The problem is MANY are too proud to admit they use them

Arrangers DO get used by the pros every day. Just because you don't see them on stage doesn't mean they're not getting used by them. I've gone into studios to find great set ups.., AND arrangers. I was really shocked when going into one guys studio and he APOLIGIZED for having a Korg PA-80 in his studio. Many pros feel they're not going to get taken seriuosly if they have an arranger. I disagree with that.., but hey that's the age old stereotype for ya.., and it ain't gonna change anytime soon.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#259300 - 03/11/09 03:41 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
"a sit-down and a few presses and your off"

And thats exactly the reason i and many like me then would never by the keyboard, see, there
is no win win in the advertisement, you in one type of crowd and you lose the others.
As for me personally, on whatever machine: Triton, Motif, Fantom, PA, Ketrons SD and else,
me and my comunity of musicians dont use not even 1%, i repeat, 100% that comes out of the
keyboard is either programme by me or them. Sounds and Styles together, Western or Traditional.

#259301 - 03/11/09 04:04 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
"As for me personally, on whatever machine: Triton, Motif, Fantom, PA, Ketrons SD and else,
me and my comunity of musicians dont use not even 1%, i repeat, 100% that comes out of the
keyboard is either programme by me or them. Sounds and Styles together, Western or Traditional."

This kind of blows a gaping hole in the MS argument doesnt it . All this stuff about having to take what the manufacturer gives you from the top manufacturers and yet Nedim and his country men still take these "closed system " instruments and create all the content themselves anyway. Just proves my point. You can be as creative as you want to be with these instruments and the only limit is your own talent and creativity.

My last point. If you switched off the arranger function completely and simply played the keyboard, used the one touch settings to split the keyboard or change sounds as and when you want then the arranger keyboard that everyone seems to get so hung up on because an ordinary keyboard just like a motif , triton,M3. No difference .....

#259302 - 03/11/09 04:10 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Ian

I never claimed they were not songwriting tools. Thats the reason I bought one. But even in that regard they are not enough by themsleves to create a production.. I just don't see anyone playing them in a band live...Yeah there are exceptions to every rule. Then again why would a touring pro use an arranger when they can have the whole band?
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#259303 - 03/11/09 04:11 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Another open source keyboard company http://www.openlabs.com/nekoxxl-overview.html

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 03-11-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#259304 - 03/11/09 04:41 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
I just don't see anyone playing them in a band live...

Well, it would be a bit odd to use an arranger in a band...they'd be wasted in that situation....they are mainly solo instruments, although they surely do sound as good as any workstation/synth, and better than some.

I've made a very good living using an arranger; it's a very handy tool for a solo keyboard player and/or song writer.

Ian

#259305 - 03/11/09 05:08 PM Re: I just unpacked a X-76 Mediastation at my store
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
DUH! If you have a drummer, Bass player, Lead guitars, fill guitars, mayb a sax player, maybe a few singers...why do you need an arranger? You don't.

Suppose that's why you don't see them on stage in bands? Yep!

They are one man band instruments.
Home and PRO.

Lee S.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online