SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#256980 - 02/18/09 01:14 PM Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Well I finally did it. I have just paid for the Media Station X76 Expanded.

Dom was very gracious in holding the price to the same as the "special" he had last year.

A big vote of thanks goes out to him for doing something he did not HAVE to do. Just an example of the man I guess. Very open, honest, generous and most important to me, passionate.

The only difficult thing now is the wait until it arrives .

Just think...It's the LAST hardware keyboard I will EVER buy!! My better half will be SO pleased .

I have also looked at and tried Live Styler so I might have a play with that as well.

Anyway, more news when it arrives and I have completed some preliminary setup tasks.

Cheers
Dennis

#256981 - 02/18/09 03:22 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hi Dennis

I look forward to your observations on this board. I was a little dissapointed when your last deal fell through...

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#256982 - 02/18/09 03:41 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dennis,

Great news. I'm also looking forward to your review of this product.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#256983 - 02/18/09 06:45 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Dnj Offline

Congrats Dennis......I know your happy...now Fran & Richard also have them...looks like a trend.

Enjoy & keep us posted.

#256984 - 02/19/09 01:08 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I look forward to hearing how you go setting it up to suit your playing style.

#256985 - 02/19/09 02:56 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congratulations Dennis!

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#256986 - 02/19/09 03:08 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Congrats Dennis.

Chico

#256987 - 02/19/09 03:50 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
to the genesys Offline

Good for you! Hope it meets your needs.

#256988 - 02/19/09 05:09 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
This is good Dennis. Also kudos to Dom for offering a price that you couldn't refuse.

#256989 - 02/19/09 05:35 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
Congratulations Dennis!

I hope you'll be every bit as pleased with your Mediastation Keyboard as I have been with mine.

As one of the first customers to purchase a Lionstracs Keyboard in the USA, and one of the first Synthzoners, I am glad to see our user base growing. (Its been a bit lonely here, LOL)

I am especially interested to hear your early observations as you are adjusting to it. Does it seem like the same adjustments you have when switching from any keyboard manufacturer to another? or is it easier? harder? ect....

It has been a few years since I took the plunge so the ease of use that I find apparent may not reflect the views of someone new to the system.

So as soon as you receive it I hope you'll share your observations and if I can help in any way, let me know

Richard

#256990 - 02/19/09 12:02 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Congratulation Dennis

You’re going to have a blast of a time once you start making it your own.

Point to remember (Like all open keyboards) everything you need is there to do or add whatever you want, so don’t expect perfection OOTB. (That’s not what open keyboards are about)

“Warning” once you get into the open keyboard, you will have difficulty ever going back to a hardware board. (There sort of infectious)

Enjoy

Regards

Bill

#256991 - 02/19/09 03:22 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
abacus Offline

Hi Dennis

A couple of great links when you get your open keyboard
http://www.kvraudio.com/
http://www.synthzone.com/

Regards

Bill

#256992 - 02/19/09 03:34 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
abacus Offline

Diki

Take a good look and read of your last post, as if you knew what open keyboards are about, (Which you say you do) then you would not have posted such of a ridicules statement.

Regards

Bill

#256993 - 02/19/09 06:48 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Thank you so much for all the kind words of support.

I am looking forward greatly to its arrival.

Thanks Richard for your offer of assistance and also Abacus for those links. Yes its because its NOT an OOTB keyboard that I bought it

Diki, no this will be my only keyboard. I am just one of those people who never sees the point in multiple keyboards. I really like to devote all my energy into developing one keyboard at a time.

And truly pretty much everything will be done "in the box" so to speak. Another of the reasons I bought it.

I will be creating my own simple styles, and as you may remember from my history, I prefer to sound no bigger than a 5 piece band at most. Preferably 3 or 4 if I can manage.

I will also be modifying some of the Yamaha styles.

I have been looking at EastWest Goliath (running under WINE), and NI's all work as well. Richard has kindly recommended the Addictive Drums to try as well.

Dom has a very good Giga sample set for sale and I might add that too. As you also may remember I do NOT like general midi in any way shape or form, so my first goal is to get a solid sound set.

Anyway, more when it arrives. It's tough to keep talking about it and I cannot put my hands on it .

Cheers
Dennis

#256994 - 02/19/09 09:41 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Bachus Offline

Congratulations Dennis...

I hope you keep us posted...
When will your MS arive?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#256995 - 02/20/09 09:03 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Dennis,
Congrats! When will you get the new baby?
I would very much like one...as I am a stickler for TOP QUALITY sounds...and most arrangers fall short.

I am watching to see how well Dom intrgrates the LS software. If it is done right....I may get one.
Dennis, LS is quite good...if you have not checked it out, please do...(while you wait for MS?)

If I do...the first thing I will do is develop a FULL XG sound set including a Mega-Voice sound set. This is a large undertakng. But can be done.
Then..all Yamaha styles will play and sound superb on MS.

I may even make it a commercial package...to sell to LS and MS customers...not sure. May even ask Dom if he wants to make a deal with me (MS for sounds set?).

Lee

#256996 - 02/20/09 09:26 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
80% of the Live styler TCP network in now up and working, remain to link in realtimes the 8 sliders volumes, mute/unmute, BPM dial.

here is the first test with the MS+live styler and VST XG50, just loaded and played some standard Yamaha styles: http://www.lionstracs.com/demo/qranger/styles/demomsxg.mp3

for me the Vst XG50 is not the max at all, for a better sounds result need now a nice XG GIGA sounbank.
I try to configure LS for the current GM/GS Giga soundbank but then the LS remap to many sounds, if I leave set under XG mode, the sampler GM/GS not reconize some sounds at all.
Anyway, for start is a nice compromise...
Our giga soundesigner just sent by mail the new DVD 4Gb of XG Tyros sounds, we have now to create a new GIGA XG soundfonts and then we release it.
Note: all the giga sounds from our webstore are TOTALLY FOR FREE download for the ALL MS Users! They do NOT have to PAY nothing at all.
What give to pay are ONLY the LS and Elastique license when they will download the complete MS ISO CD installer 3.0

Ah...we will shipping to dennis the MS when the 64studio beginn next week release the new OS 3.1

Frank from Audiowork have ordered a MS too, then you can go there to test how the MS sounds and work.

[This message has been edited by LIONSTRACS (edited 02-20-2009).]

#256997 - 02/20/09 10:14 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
...I will be creating my own simple styles, and as you may remember from my history, I prefer to sound no bigger than a 5 piece band at most. Preferably 3 or 4 if I can manage...

Hi Dennis,

Your idea of limiting the number of automatic accompaniment tracks strikes a chord with me. (pun intended, sorry)

Actually I have been considering looking for some retirement home gigs since doing a fill-in for a one of my band mates. He is the sax player in one of the bands I am in but also does a single act at retirement communities all over the area. He uses a Mac Book and iTunes for back-up and sings and plays sax. He does a great job at entertaining and the folks love him. Several weeks ago he called me at the last minute and asked if I could cover for him because he was sick. I had an hour and a half to get a shower, load my car and get to the gig to set-up and start. The quickest thing I could get together equipment-wise was my digital piano and a set of bass pedals, amp and mic/stand. So I did the gig minus any accompaniment; just piano, bass and vocals. And you know what; they loved it, as did the employees of the place. These were folks from 65 years of age and up. Just piano, bass and vocals (with zero effects on the mic). On the other hand they probably would have been just as happy if I was using an arranger keyboard blaring out unlikely horn stabs and cheesy piano licks. But I certainly wouldn’t have enjoyed the evening near as much.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 02-20-2009).]

#256998 - 02/20/09 10:47 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
HA! At 3:18 is one of those old DJX styles Yamaha carried over to their other line Sounded better on the DJX though (not a knock on the MS either..., it didn't sound nearly as great on any other Yamaha arranger but the DJX)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#256999 - 02/20/09 11:22 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Dom
You might be on a roll, now. You certainly have the technical knowledge and persistence. I hope things keep going right for you.

Bernie

#257000 - 02/20/09 02:28 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Congratulations Dennis,
hope the MS works out for you.
You've been searching for the right keyboard to suit your needs for quite sometime now.
Hopefully this is it.
Is it the first one in Aust. ???

------------------
best wishes
Rikki

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/PA800_StyleMaking/

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#257001 - 02/20/09 05:11 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
leeboy Offline

Dom,
I hope you share back with Norbert on the Giga XG sound set (for his LS customers). I think LS will help sell MANY MS. And Norbert will get some good business too.

Lee

#257002 - 02/20/09 07:51 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Dom,
I think LS will help sell MANY MS.
Lee

No offence Lee, but I seriously doubt it.

Dennis

#257003 - 02/20/09 08:06 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Congratulations Dennis,
hope the MS works out for you.
You've been searching for the right keyboard to suit your needs for quite sometime now.
Hopefully this is it.
Is it the first one in Aust. ???

Hi Rikki,

Yes this is THE one. I am very sure about that.

I am confident this will be the last HARDWARE keyboard I buy.

Of course I will do varying things with teh software, and how it sounds, but Dom has built a great unit and a great operating system, and truly I cannot see me wanting anything else.

As far as I know this will be the only one in Australia. Dom would have that info so maybe he can confirm or deny, but yeah, as far as I know.

Cheers
Dennis

#257004 - 02/21/09 08:13 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
"Yes this is THE one. I am very sure about that.

I am confident this will be the last HARDWARE keyboard I buy."

This year ! :-)

I am playing with you Miden. Have a great time with your new keyboard when it comes !

Regards

Spalding

#257005 - 02/21/09 11:08 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Congrats on your MS. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, BUT......"LAST hardware keyboard"........right! That's like me saying 'that's the last curvy buttocks I'm ever going to stare at'. Fat chance.

chas

#257006 - 02/21/09 11:29 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Hi Spalding and Chas,

I know you guys are only joking around, and I did have a chuckle, because I think we have all said that at some time or other , but seriously it will be.

Because Dom has built this from top grade components the hardware side of things will last a very long time.

The actual sound-set capabilites are pretty much endless, with no waiting for manufacturers to come up with an annual or bi-annual token gesture, you know, saving the BIG improvements to the next model release. (And even then they won't match the power of the MS)

The world of VST's is HUGE.

Anytime I want to change the sound or even a total soundset "make-over", I just use different software via VST's.

The arranger side of things is well taken care of as far as "engine" (not styles), with the Qranger, whihc give far, far greater depth of style editing than anything available now, or maybe well into the future. And now of course, Live Styler has been incorporated whcih allows Yamaha styles to be imported and played.

And there are thousands of styles available, and yes I know they need tweaking, but my style requirements are very minimal, so there will not be too much work there either.

It will run MP3's, I can display charts, I can link all the data via the Performance function, I can record directly to the hard drive. I can connect a keyboard (qwerty). It goes on and on.

It has a huge 8 1/2 " touch-screen, something I do not believe any of the current makers wil incorporate anytime soon (although the Roland G may have but I cannot remember its size), and I can continually upgrade the operating system as new features are developed.

Hell, I can even change the whole motherboard and processor..Try doing that on a "conventional" arranger or synth workstation.

So guys, yes, this (accidents aside) will be the last hardware keyboard I buy.

Dennis

#257007 - 02/21/09 12:25 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
WOW!!!! Dennis...You talked me into buying another as a back up...

#257008 - 02/21/09 12:50 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
mr9000 Offline

Miden,Upload MP3?

#257009 - 02/21/09 01:15 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The only one in Australia? Bit risky if you gig on it, isn't that? You get a hardware failure after making it your sole sound source and entire gig backing for a while, you are kind of up the creek, aren't you?

How much is shipping back to Italy? What kind of turnaround? I think Fran's got the right idea! You might need TWO...

Maybe this ISN'T the last keyboard you'll ever buy...?

Just curious, as well... how much styles, how much SMF's is your act based on? Are you going to use the style section much? Or are you thinking of audio tracks and SMF's as it's main purpose...?

#257010 - 02/21/09 01:48 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Diki Offline

One other point... 'The Last Keyboard Ever'.

Yes, you can even swap out motherboards and CPU's... BUT....

This is kind of like the fact that you can swap out motherboards and CPU's on computers as well. But how few of us have managed to get say a ten year old computer up to completely modern specs? Have you noticed how often motherboard designs change? Let alone chip socket configurations?

You can MAYBE shoehorn a modern processor into an older case and peripherals, but only back to a certain point. After that, you basically have to go and strip out everything, and just HOPE the new componentry will fit the slots, etc..

I am afraid that, in expecting this to be the 'last' keyboard, you haven't really taken a look around at what happens in the computer world... sure you can upgrade and upgrade, but about every ten or so years, the entire innards need replacing, whereupon it is usually cheaper to replace the whole thing. Newer motherboards, entirely newer buss systems, and I/O subsystems generally mean that after a certain time, a computer (and by extension, the MS) CAN'T be upgraded to modern day standards.

And why would you need this? Because OS requirements generally mean the latest OS can only be run on the latest hardware. Try running Vista on a ten year old PC. Try running OSX on a ten year old Mac. Sure, you MIGHT make them work. And if you swap out the motherboard and CPU, you MIGHT get them faster. But all the other componentry will still be old tech.

It's the reason why none of us have twenty year old computers with today's motherboard and CPU sitting in them. Shelf life for computer subsystems is not that long.

Why should this bother you? Because, on the whole, most VSTi designers design for the latest OS and the latest CPU's and buss capabilities. Several of the better VSTi's won't even RUN in their latest upgrade version on the CPU's and OS's they were originally designed for. Bugfixes don't always (in fact, rarely) get ported back to the original hardware specs the first version came out on. Computer software VSTi designers (all the people outside of Dom's control) generally assume that you CAN upgrade your computer, but that, eventually, you WILL buy a brand new one with all the latest doodads.

So, once we move past Core Duos, etc., and the computing industry (and the VSTi designers) moves on to the next big change, and especially the next big change after that, you'll find yourself in the same position as someone that owns say a Pentium 1 computer. Short of stripping it down to a bare case and replacing EVERYTHING (if that is even possible), your upgrade path will STOP. Dead.

Maybe the recession will slow things down for a while, but there are VSTi's out now that won't run on three year old hardware. There are VSTi's out that will only run on the latest OS and CPU's. And in three years time, there will be amazing new VSTi's out that won't run on anything out today...

The software world moves along very fast. Hopefully, your MS can keep up with it for quite a while, but expecting infinite upgradeability isn't, IMO, realistic.

#257011 - 02/21/09 02:57 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
LIONSTRACS Offline

On this point I agree with you Diki..CPU hardware and OS continue moves really fast and every time when the PC hrdware change need a lot of new drivers updates.

Fortunally on MS side we take the open system without make the mistake as made Korg with the Oasys.
Of course, more grown the OS with new features based on new PC hardware, the same OS can not be used on old MS, like MS Frank have.

As you told before, OS like Vista can not work on pentium 1, need a recent PC hardware too, same is happen on our MS OS, before based on Linux Debian Etch and now ported on the new linux distribution Kubuntu.

So, for this old MS they have only to upgrade the standard ATX mainboard, CPU, DDR2 Ram and SATA2 HD, no more.
all the remain MS hardware remain the same, for this reason:

1) Mixer Audio system is based with the VIA Envy24-VT1712 ( like the Delta1010 and a lot of other PCI audio cards) and VIA will produce this chipset for another 12 years.
IF the PCI 32bit slot will be NOT available anymore, really soon you wil see available the new Lionstracs PCIexpress card, with integrated the TWO Envy24 and serial card too.
It mean that with only 1 PCIexpress slot we can running the same and whole MS system again, so..I we dont care if the PC mainboards continue move in better.
24bit DA system with 120dB dynamic system, up to 22 IN, 22 OUTS...I think are enough in one BOX keyboard, IF yu need more then is better that you buy one Digidesign protools Icon system that cost more than 100.000 USD.

2) PCI VGA LVDS card, based on Silicon motion chipset, available for another 8 years and this VGA embedded card is produced by my company and resell in the world to another 8 manufactures.
3) MS pannel are our emebedded boards too, with industrial chipset available for another 10 years.
4) MS software is OUR own aplication that can be recompiled to any new other OS distribution, under 32 or 64bit mode.
5) Standard Linux OS distribution with KDE support, where we only optimize some parts for Audio system and we add all our features, when this is not more available, we cahange it and we add again our application.
remember also that we do NOT need to contiune upgrade the hardware drivers when this are already working, we will use it for many years in our own OS distribution.

6) the new MS mainboard is the new Asrock K10N78-1394 that support the next AMD3 generation CPU, so, I think for some years we are covered.

So..I dont think that 80-100USD of new mainboard upgrade after 2-3 years is a big issue.
IF a old MS user will not follow on the new OS features compatible on new PC hardware, they can just stopping update OS and remain with the last working features.
Where is the problem?
I still see available and working a LOT of PSR9000, Tyros1, G-800/G1000....why there wil not upgrade on Tyros 3/4 or roland G-70/80...?

So...from Lionstracs you pretend the full OS and hardware compatibility/support for the next 10 years, where from the others brand you have to put in the trash the all keyboards every 6-8 months...

When will be available the new Tyros 4..ask then yamaha to upgrade for free your tyros 2-3 too or just to upgrade the some new SA sounds, i really will see what they reply...

[This message has been edited by LIONSTRACS (edited 02-21-2009).]

#257012 - 02/21/09 03:07 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
abacus Offline

Wrong again Diki

The new CPUs, Motherboards and components that are in the pipeline, will be even easier to fit in an open keyboard (And the next generation after that will be even easier still) then the present day ones, so your good to go for at least another 20 years. (And probably more)

Wersi OAS instruments have only needed two motherboard upgrades in the last 10 years, and the current ones are good to go for at least another 2 – 3 years, so don’t worry about Dennis.

Regards

Bill

#257013 - 02/21/09 03:08 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

. Sorry wrong thread

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 02-21-2009).]

#257014 - 02/21/09 03:11 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
WOW!!!! Dennis...You talked me into buying another as a back up...

LOL...Now that post made me smile!

Dennis

#257015 - 02/21/09 03:12 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
Miden,Upload MP3?

? Sorry Mr 9000, I don't understand the post...

Dennis

#257016 - 02/21/09 03:22 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Diki,
I have a pretty good idea of what I need, what I can do, what my musical knowledge is, what PC skills I have and what my long term goals are, I daresay probably a bit better than you do.

I know you have the best of intentions, truly, and I appreciate that, but if those things (that I mentioned above) ever become known to you, then I think your advice as per your post about VST's and whatever else would be something to take on-board.
Cheers,

Dennis

PS: There is no intended malice in this comment, just saying it as it is.

PPS: Edited to change the wording, same meaning, but to less critical syntax.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 02-21-2009).]

#257017 - 02/22/09 05:21 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Magica Alfa Offline

I wish you all the best with your new keyboard.

If you will need help I'm here. I can tell you that, we are every day bigger and bigger family, which wants to have keyboard for future.

MEDIASTATION is open for everyone and it is really possible to use it as all in one.
Here are so many modules, that it can be really interested for playing and using.

Best regards.

MAGICA ALFA

#257018 - 02/22/09 08:05 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Bachus Offline

dont forget that with a fully based computer workstation inside.... You have full potential over all the computer power ever needed. Just run things on another computer and controll it from the MS over the network..

As long as the soundengine (hardware) and the software gets updated to communicate with the state of the art...

Yes.. this could very well be the last hardware keyboard you buy.......

http://keyszone.boards.net

#257019 - 02/22/09 11:06 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Thanks Magica, and to Bachus...Exactly!!

Cheers
Dennis

#257020 - 02/23/09 11:02 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Diki Offline

Hey, just going from what I see in the real world...

I don't believe I have a single acquaintance running a contemporary computer system in a ten year old (yet alone twenty year old) computer case.

Perhaps you all HAVE considered these points, but no-one ever mentions it. Just thought I would... If all you listen to is the guy trying to sell you something, you only get one kind of information.

The concerns with upgrade and bugfixes often needing updated specs is from direct experience. I just thought that might have some value. My mistake.

#257021 - 02/23/09 03:39 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
spalding Offline

The major concern is that all future upgrades and their integration and all bug fixes and all repairs .....lay with the future of Liontracks and its future has to be built on a profitable business model. If this is the last keyboard that you are going to buy then it all depends on liontracks future to survive. something to be aware of.

#257022 - 02/23/09 11:43 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
abacus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
The major concern is that all future upgrades and their integration and all bug fixes and all repairs .....lay with the future of Liontracks and its future has to be built on a profitable business model. If this is the last keyboard that you are going to buy then it all depends on liontracks future to survive. something to be aware of.

In this case Spalding I have to disagree with you.

An open keyboard is a combination of programs from many different companies (The number is determined by what YOU put in it) which are combined into one unit interface.
If any open keyboard manufacture went under tomorrow (Hopefully not) then the only thing that would cease is development of the interface, the rest would carry on as normal. (Parts are available off the shelf)
It’s known as not having all your eggs in one basket. (Technics owners know what that’s like)
In addition it is cheaper to buy up the rites to a software development program, rather then a liquidated company.

Yet another advantage of an open system

Regards

Bill

#257023 - 02/23/09 11:51 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
abacus Offline

Hi Diki

All open keyboards use their own be-spoke case, which can easily be modified to accept any new hardware that comes along, therefore the analogy with a standard computer case does not apply.

Regards

Bill

#257024 - 02/24/09 02:39 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Thank you Bill,

It was what I wanted to say earlier, but changed my mind, when I figured...why bother!

Some folks will see only what they want to see, and then only believe half of it.

Dennis

#257025 - 02/24/09 10:05 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
richard_shiflet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Hey, just going from what I see in the real world...

I don't believe I have a single acquaintance running a contemporary computer system in a ten year old (yet alone twenty year old) computer case.

Perhaps you all HAVE considered these points, but no-one ever mentions it. Just thought I would... If all you listen to is the guy trying to sell you something, you only get one kind of information.

The concerns with upgrade and bugfixes often needing updated specs is from direct experience. I just thought that might have some value. My mistake.

Diki, You make a valid point. In recent years we saw the AMD CPU socket configurations go from 754 to 939 to AM2. Each change meant a new Motherboard would be needed to keep the latest cpu's.

There are 2 factors that may affect the comparison of upgrades to a 10 or even 20 year old personal computer to a Mediastation of the same age.

1) You do not necessarily need every upgrade that comes along. While I understand the software is continually improved and new releases come out periodically, some users hold pat with older versions of software that they have become comfortable with. Not upgrading doesn't take away from what you already have, it just doesn't add to it either. 10 or 20 years from now, barring any hardware failures that I cannot fix, my MSX should still play the same sounds it plays today.

2) Upgrade path is better with the MSX than many PC's. If you have an older PC you have to weigh out the benefits to upgrading versus buying a new one. The low price that new PC's sometimes have make upgrading the old seem less advantageous. If you are replacing everything but the case anyway why not just buy new.

With the MSX you have considerably more invested into the case and components than a cheap PC case. You have the quality Fatar Keybeds and the Pro grade XLR outputs/ inputs and the TFT Touchscreen. It should almost always be a lot cheaper to buy a new CPU or a Mainboard + CPU than a new Mediastation or any other high end music workstation. There is room inside the mediastation for any standard ATX mainboard. Currently supporting the AM2+ Phenom 2 Processors.

If a new mainboard design standard is adopted in the near future, there is a good chance even it would fit in the msx case. Many computer advances are in making the chips smaller. I can't imagine a new standard that would be too big to fit. The ports that extend from the mainboard through the rear of the MSX are covered with a small plate that can be easily machined if necessary to fit a new configuration.

So while nothing is ever truly 'future proofed' the Mediastation is in a pretty good position to go a long way.

Spalding, you mentioned, "that all future upgrades and their integration and all bug fixes and all repairs .....lay with the future of Liontracks and its future has to be built on a profitable business model the advances being tied to Lionstracs business success".

That is true. If Domenik goes out of business tomorrow, I may never get another feature added onto the MSX OS. I could only load new software that uses standards that the MSX already supports (Vst, Asio, Giga, ect..) But even this 'worse case' scenario doesn't leave me very limited, and from what I know of Domenik's commitment to this project, i have a feeling he will take good care of it for a long time to come.

Richard

#257026 - 02/24/09 11:39 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Excellent post, and well argued Richard.

Dennis

#257027 - 02/24/09 02:33 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
spalding Offline

Thanks Richard. A good point well made. My point was only in Midens enthusiasm that this would be the last keyboard that he would buy :-) Also i think you all play down the skill it takes to integrate existing and new software to use on a musical instrument that a musician would play and not a programmer. Dom also struggles with this concept.

Just to remind you read through this thread again featuring Dom talking about new features that he has managed to provide on the medistation
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016814.html

Dom used programmers to integrate various software sources for the MS and then released these integrated systems as updates to the end user. If the end user could have easily done it themselves then why the hell bother with so many updates ???? It is not true that if you bought any music software package off the shelf that you could use in conjunction with any other software effectively without getting into some programming .

Dom summed it up himself in this post he made in June 2008

"Mediastation is a PC based system, with GIGA sampler, VST and other sounds PC engines and NOT a ROM+DSP based systen like the all embedded keyboard.
With the ROM+DSP engine, you can control and levelling perfect the all sounds/styles, under a PC open system, this is like impossible.
Each GIGA, VST...have a different sounds and volumes engine, depend how many oscillators, voice... you open and every time the global volumes will change and not levelled.

So..with the MS you have to choose one compromise system, IF you like to open so many VST, GIGA, Synth's, you must also accept this all compromise..
in my MS Pro I just have installed one AMD Athlon XP dulacore 5200+, 8Gb RAM system and I have open and played about 1300 Voices.
This was just for testing the Linux OS, but of course the globally volumes OUT had changed totally! Was not a stereo HiFi CD player...
It is a compromise... you have to choose what is better for your gig's.
For play some Bossa Nova with a nice guitar and sax...I'm the first to tell you to buy one Tyros 3.
the problem is that my clients do NOT want this...this is my problem.
cheers"

You see you are oversimplifying the challenges that having atruly open system entails. All i am saying is stop sugar coating the sale.....

And i am still happy for you Miden and lookforward to when the technical chat can stop and the music making begin

#257028 - 02/24/09 03:29 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
abacus Offline

Hi Spalding

Don’t know about the Mediastation, but once you load in the VST to the Wersi OAS system, then the setup becomes no different to adding an expander module to a hardware board, (But without having to configure Midi and Input/Output) and can be done by any musician, even if he has never seen a computer in his life.
Its not sugar coating, its fact, just go and try one, and you will see that it is no different to the work you had to do to set up the Akai Piano samples you loaded into your Korg.

Regards

Bill

#257029 - 02/24/09 04:10 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
spalding Offline

Hi Bill I bought the Xprodata expansion card designed for the Korg PA1X precisely for that reason. In the end i wanted sounds that were balanced and EQ'd for the instrument that it would be used on in conjunction with the other sounds i would be using . It sounds terific and saved me a bunch of time setting up each sound so they balanced with the rest of the onboard sounds.

#257030 - 02/24/09 07:47 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Diki Offline

Good post, Richard. Thanks for keeping it civil!

There really IS a lot about the MS that I find attractive, the price is right, it's a great keyboard. I just happen to think it's not a great arranger...

This might appear to be one of those 'is the glass half empty, or is the glass half full?' things, but to be honest, from some people here it seems to be that they keep ramming 'the glass is completely full' down my throat, no matter HOW obvious that the level is down quite a bit

If I was looking to buy a Neko, then yes, the MS would seem to be a GREAT alternative, advanced in many ways. Trouble is, I'm looking to buy an ARRANGER, that also does VSTi's, and I have neither the money, nor a strong enough back for the Wersi's And a reluctance to use something that service and replacement is nearly a continent away...

See, my priority is arranger FIRST, VSTi's second. Not the other way around...

#257031 - 02/24/09 07:55 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
richard_shiflet Offline

Hey Spalding,

I understand your point, and I’m sure the Mediastation may seem a little daunting to read about without the opportunity to actually put your hands on one. I don’t mean to play down what is involved in adding vst’s to the Mediastation, so I’ll just outline the process.

Step one would be to get the software to the MSX through either a direct download from the internet, or by inserting a CD, DVD, or USB Stick Drive containing the software. A browser window will open showing the drive and its contents.

Step two, right click on the install file and choose ‘open with Wine’. Follow the installation instructions for whatever Virtual Instrument you are installing.

The Last step is to move the vst file of the new software (ending with .dll) to the Mediastation’s Vst Library Folder. You’re done. The new Virtual Instrument is now ready to be played in either the whole or combi mode. I think you’ll agree that the process is rather straight forward and that is not an oversimplification.

Dominik used the software programmers you referred to for integration of features into the OS not for installing Vst’s.

Please understand I’m not trying to sale anything, Domenik doesn’t pay me a comission. I don’t think that the MSX is for everyone, but the tight integration of computer with keyboard and all its controllers makes it very appealing to some.

Richard

#257032 - 02/24/09 08:40 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
richard_shiflet Offline

Diki,

I understand your position and the priorities that you listed. I also know that everyone has different things they are looking for in their keyboards and this being an arranger forum, well arranger features are pretty high on the list.

I've stated for a long time that having a complete polished set of styles was not the Mediastation's strength. This is no secret, I've said the same to Domink before. I think that it is the area that has the most room for improvement on the MSX.

Maybe if Domenik had presented the Mediastation as a workstation that he was considering adding some arranger capabilities to, it would have been better received here earlier.

I know he gets overly enthusiastic and perhaps a little passionate at times defending his innovation, but you have to give him props for what he's accomplished.

Replacement being a continent away, you're absolutely right; but service? I would have to disagree. Domink is easily much more accessible than companies located in the USA. He's on yahoo almost all the time. Maybe the replacement of parts and stocking a few keyboards at a few key distribution points would improve his position on that front as well.

The glass isn't completely full, but its definitely not empty.
Since we've agreed that the MSX has its flaws, I hope you don't mind us sharing the advancements it is making without constantly rehashing the same old arguments against it. Who knows? one day it may become the perfect keyboard for you.

Hey Domenik, do you think you could consider adding a chord sequencer? LOL

Richard

#257033 - 02/24/09 08:54 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
but to be honest, from some people here it seems to be that they keep ramming 'the glass is completely full' down my throat, no matter HOW obvious that the level is down quite a bit

To be fair Diki, and as far as I can remember I don't think anyone has rammed anything down your throat, merely responded to your questions and criticisms (some valid some not).

Do you think I have done this in any of my posts?

Dennis

#257034 - 02/25/09 12:37 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
spalding Offline

Thats exactly the point i am making richard. If all you wanted was a machine to load software on then you would use a laptop ! its precisely the intergration of both existing and new software that makes the instrument a performance instrument. Thats why Dom had to use programmers to make the additional functionality as asccessible and usable as possible FOR MUSICIANS. If that is not important in the future then you dont need the MS.

#257035 - 02/25/09 05:25 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
richard_shiflet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
Thats exactly the point i am making richard. If all you wanted was a machine to load software on then you would use a laptop ! its precisely the intergration of both existing and new software that makes the instrument a performance instrument. Thats why Dom had to use programmers to make the additional functionality as asccessible and usable as possible FOR MUSICIANS. If that is not important in the future then you dont need the MS.

You've got it, the integration is the key. Some posts have said that if one wanted to use vst's they would simply use any PC along with their keyboard. While this is also an alternative, I don't think you can ever get the same level of integration as Domenik has already developed in the Mediastation. Its definitely the combination of the best that current music /audio software has to offer, integrated with the MSX OS, that is so unique.

As far as the future goes the standard audio formats that have already been integrated should carry us for some time to come. I believe that Steinberg set up the standards for both 'VST' and ASIO'. These 2 standards are already fully integrated into the Mediastation's OS.

So new Virtual Instruments coming out in the future could be easily added by anyone as long as the software conforms to the existing standards (ASIO & VST). If a new set of standards were to be adopted at some point in the future, and eventually it will probably happen, only then would it be necessary to have programming done to integrate the new standards.

Again, no keyboard can ever be truly "future proofed"; but I think the Mediastation is the most advanced step towards it that I have seen to date.

Richard

#257036 - 02/25/09 12:42 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
LIONSTRACS Offline

Well...just for change the arguments...
MS OS 3.1 arrived right now at version 1500!
Richard saw our repository source code revision and can confirm.

More than 120 OS revision in less 15 days and full integrated now the Livestyler Network TCP special version on MS: http://www.lionstracs.com/demo/qranger/qrangeryamaha.jpg
available on Ms pannel:
All the MS patterns keys with LED status
8 Sliders volumes track
8 Mute/Unmute tracks
Fade IN-Fade Out
Key Sync Start-Key Sync Stop
start key, Stop key
One finger mode, fingered mode, manual mode.
Chords names forward to MS display
Patterns forward to MS display
Support for: *.sty, *.prs, *.sst styles
and the all other small features around...

Norbert have now to fix the multiple WineASIO driver on Live Styler, for loading internally the embedded VST and then we are ready to release this new OS.

Last news:
arrived the 3800Mb DVD with the new XG GIGA V3 soundbank!
We will mapping now the all new giga sounds on the right MSB, LSB, PRG and then is ready to release for FREE for the all MS.

#257037 - 02/25/09 12:55 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Excellent news Dom .

Can't wait to load it up.

Dennis

#257038 - 02/25/09 06:21 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
leeboy Offline

Dom,
OK, so we have:
Intros
Vars
Endings
All breaks
Fills

8 tracks on/off

Solo presets

All from MS panel???

Also, what about the many options in LS to control many things via MIDI...can MS be setup / programmed to do some of those too? It is called key control in LS.???

Thanks,
Lee

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online