SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#256798 - 02/16/09 11:08 PM Re: Please listen to original: "In My House of Love"
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I like the song and how you sing it, but I don't like the automatic harmony - its a bit dirty and robotic.

#256799 - 02/21/09 09:00 AM Re: Please listen to original: "In My House of Love"
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Larry - nice work and great sound! Good recording too! Liked it a lot!

Keep up the great work!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#256800 - 02/21/09 09:13 AM Re: Please listen to original: "In My House of Love"
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
The hook in the chorus I think is stronger than any hook I've heard from Larry.

Back in the 80's a studio guy who'd been around Nashville for 20 some years looked at my stuff and said something to the effect "instead of finding all these goofy ways of saying you love someone, why not just say it instead of trying to be so cutesy?"

Recording was sharp...

Cheers-

That from Nashville??? the HOME of goofy, cutesy and clever lyrics?

"I Feel so Miserable Without You, It's Almost Like Having you Here"
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#256801 - 02/21/09 02:33 PM Re: Please listen to original: "In My House of Love"
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by saxxman:
Larry - nice work and great sound! Good recording too! Liked it a lot!

Keep up the great work!

Randy

Thank you Randy:

Hopefully, I can get something happening as a songwriter or recording these songs. In regards to Chony's comment about the harmonizer sounding robotic, no one else had mentioned that, but one thing is for sure. I think the harmonizer does a great job, but it isn't as good as a real human being. All you have to do is listen to the harmonizer track without the real voice, and it does sound robotic.

I'm thinking of getting Melodyne Celemony Studio 3 because it has the pitch correction plus the ability to create realistic harmonies.

I agree that the advice from Nashville wasn't very sound. There are many great ways to say I love you without directly saying it. "House of Love" is a metaphore for the heart. I got the idea from a novel, "A Spy in The House of Love." by Anais Ninn. Hopefully, the metaphore is pretty easy to grasp.

Beakybird

#256802 - 02/21/09 02:47 PM Re: Please listen to original: "In My House of Love"
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Larry, I think this is pretty good, indeed. I don't think it's Grade A lyrically. Good hook but the verses are not killer. Not bad, though. I've heard a couple of your songs now, very Beatleish.

If you're serious about hoping for commercial success, a few things.

Read every book you can possibly read on songwriting. Write a hundred songs before you think you have a clue. Consider getting your songs professionally critiqued. And realize that you have to write songs that are in a style that enjoys demand.

Good luck, and get ready for constant rejection.

#256803 - 02/21/09 03:54 PM Re: Please listen to original: "In My House of Love"
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Talking of 'House of Love'...

Greg Barnhill, who wrote that, lived near me for quite a while. I've done sessions with him, played that tune live with him (amongst others!), and even sat in on a couple of songwriting sessions. He is very focussed at making sure the lyric speaks directly to you. There is a very fine line between an idiom that everyone immediately gets, and being 'cutesy' or vague...

He's a great guy, and very down to earth. And very insistent that writing songs is a day to day JOB, not simply waiting around for inspiration to strike...

#256804 - 02/21/09 07:56 PM Re: Please listen to original: "In My House of Love"
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Talking of 'House of Love'...

Greg Barnhill, who wrote that, lived near me for quite a while. I've done sessions with him, played that tune live with him (amongst others!), and even sat in on a couple of songwriting sessions. He is very focussed at making sure the lyric speaks directly to you. There is a very fine line between an idiom that everyone immediately gets, and being 'cutesy' or vague...

He's a great guy, and very down to earth. And very insistent that writing songs is a day to day JOB, not simply waiting around for inspiration to strike...

Hey Diki. I wasn't aware of and never heard the song with the similar title. "House of Love" is not an idiom. Idiom has a different meaning. I put my heart into the song, and didn't come up with the hook to be cutesy. About 12 years ago when I wrote it, I was recovering from chronic pain and not working and spending tons of time writing songs and playing the piano and guitar. I might work on the 2nd and 3rd verses to tighten up the song.

You have to understand that different people have different sensibilities. I don't think that you, Diki, are devoid of sentimentality, but you don't come across as the most gushy, tender type of guy, and you might not be my target audience for a pretty tender song. Now I know that a lot of James Taylor's stuff comes across as too sweet and mellow for me, so I can relate if the song strikes you as cloying. I try to not go into that territory, and if I strayed into it, I'll try to pull back.

Anyway, I'm glad that some people like it a lot. I've gotten numerous emails from strangers who liked the song. It can probably be improved. But I've paid enough dues to sing the blues. I might be rough around the edges, but there is no artifice.

Beakybird

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online