SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#256692 - 02/14/09 03:24 PM Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
124 Offline

Up till now I've been using reverb on the vocals on my PA. The other night I saw a duo working locally and on their vocals they used mainly a short delay effect, just enough to fatten the vocals. On some old Elvis tunes they made the effect a bit more pronounced, which was fine.

So how do you use your PA's guys? Reverb alone, delay alone, or a combination of both?

#256693 - 02/14/09 04:55 PM Re: Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Both, on mine... But the important thing is that the delay be a tap delay, or hooked into your arranger so it has a relationship to the tempo. Yes, a short slap-back works great for Elvis up tempo tunes. But it can ruin a ballad.

I use a Yamaha powered mixer, with both reverb (I set a medium plate setting, just a bit of splash, but not so much that spoken stuff in between songs sounds drenched, just enough to make in not completely bone dry) and delay on separate sends. The meat of the vocal effect I prefer to have come from tap delay. It doesn't 'mush' the sound up as much as slathering reverb all over it, IMO. Just experiment with the delay time...

For simple stuff, a duple of the tempo (whole note, half note) works well, but for stuff with a lot of words, a triplet value (triplet whole note, or 12/8 rhythm) gets the echo out of the way of the start of each word you are just singing...

You would be amazed at how much more echo you can put on your voice, if timed right, than reverb before it dissolves into mush. Just be SURE to use a footswitch and switch it off at the end of the song

#256694 - 02/14/09 11:02 PM Re: Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Almost exactly like Diki, except I use delay from the TC Helicon and Reverb from the mixer right now.
It does vary with different songs though.
I have always used a little of each.
DonM

#256695 - 02/15/09 03:55 AM Re: Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
124 Offline

Thanks, guys. I use a Peavey KB600F PA amp which allows only an either/or option for reverb or delay. So I'll have to pull out my little Alesis Microverb unit and fiddle around. Thanks again.

#256697 - 02/15/09 07:01 AM Re: Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just a touch of both works well for me.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#256698 - 02/16/09 11:41 AM Re: Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Me, too. A little of both.

R (repeat) R.

#256699 - 02/17/09 09:46 PM Re: Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Like BBBB I use the Bose T1 mixer with my Wife's Vocals in Channel 1 using a "Hall" reverb she likes.

The amazing thing is she can tell when I've dialled down the reverb even by 1 or 2 percent(!). (Why a singer of her Calibre wants that much reverb is beyond me)

Now MYSELF on the other hand - I use a Hall effect (preset 7 on the PA-1X) but I've been experimenting with less (or no effect) at all in the bigger venues we play.
When the mix bounces around in a big room, there really is little need for Effects on vocals as far as I'm concerned.

So to sum up, I re-evaluate my settings (Vocals FX & Instrument EQ's) at each and every gig according to room size, audience distance, & any other relevant factors.

(We used to use that Slap back Delay for Elvis songs all the time with our old PA - Ha! Forgot all about that, I've got to start doing that again - works great....thanks for the reminder!)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#256700 - 02/17/09 09:58 PM Re: Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
The most important effect is PRE delay for the reverb. Keeps the vocals clear and up front with a nice splash of verb just behind. No pre delay puts a signal farther back in the mix. not exactly a place where you want vocals.

Use the delay before the reverb with zero feedback get vocal thickening and clarity at the same time then include the space.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-17-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#256701 - 02/18/09 02:41 AM Re: Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bottom line is record yourself...

If you (or your wife! ) is using too much reverb or delay, it's pretty easy to tell after the fact. Line outs. Then listen....

Ping ponging the echoes can be a neat trick if you gig or record in stereo, but that predelay trick is tough to dial in live... it's a great studio trick, but again, it needs to have a relationship to the tempo (if it is long-ish). Not too many effects boxes can derive reverb pre-delay from tap tempo (or clock) and it's not the easiest parameter to get to on a stage...

And most decent reverbs (even arranger ones) have a pre-delay for the reverb already programmed in, in that sub-50ms range that gives size to the reverb.

Just a thought.

#256702 - 02/18/09 05:35 AM Re: Reverb, delay, or a bit of both?
Dnj Offline

Don't look at the settings....but instead listen with your ears to what sounds good to you while you eq.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online