SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#256688 - 02/13/09 07:52 PM what bass guitar is this??
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello Experts!

I have been watching the first season of Hee Haw on RFDTV every Sunday night. I saw this video of Sonny James singing "Since I Met You Baby" and noticed this wicked looking bass guitar. This was circa 1969 or so.................does anyone know what bass guitar this is?? Thanks. -charley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzb-pt3cI1o

#256689 - 02/14/09 12:35 PM Re: what bass guitar is this??
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Looks to me like it is an Ampeg baby bass body with a neck replacement. It could be a "one off" custom, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a production model anything.I remember hearing about it, and it was a custom using existing parts.

Buck Trent, who played banjo with Porter Wagner stopped by the hotel I played in 1970 and told be of the Hee Haw concept. He went on to be one of the music directors and an "on camera" regular.

I thought the idea was rediculous...old men popping out of a cornfield, surrounded by younger women with low-cut tops. It would never fly, I thought. He asked if I was interested in talking about a staff post. "No way", I told him!

That's one of many times I was dead wrong about the music business.

Then there was the time I wouldn't even consider talking about joining another local band who became major charting country hit makers. All the guys in this group now get royalty checks amounting to twice my annual income.

Man, I REALLY don't like country music!

Oh well!

"Redneck Russ"

#256690 - 02/15/09 06:30 AM Re: what bass guitar is this??
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by rattley:
Hello Experts!

I have been watching the first season of Hee Haw on RFDTV every Sunday night. I saw this video of Sonny James singing "Since I Met You Baby" and noticed this wicked looking bass guitar. This was circa 1969 or so.................does anyone know what bass guitar this is?? Thanks. -charley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzb-pt3cI1o

I think that was the early Yamaha prototype concept for their "Mega Bass"

The Bass player was Milo Liggett. You might try searching for info on him.

Jerry

#256691 - 02/15/09 09:09 AM Re: what bass guitar is this??
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You guys are wrong. It's obviously a Silvertone on steroids.
My first bass was a Silvertone, $15. from a pawn shop. Wasn't bad though.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online