SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#256393 - 02/11/09 06:10 AM BOSE PAS ?....Move over !!
Dnj Offline

http://www.fohhn.com/index.php?id=83

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-11-2009).]

#256394 - 02/11/09 06:30 AM Re: BOSE PAS ?....Move over !!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Great looking systems. I sincerely believe you will see more and more audio system manufacturers providing vertical array systems in the very near future. This particular one appears to have a maximum power of 300 watts, but I could not find a price list.

Thanks Donny,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#256395 - 02/11/09 06:40 AM Re: BOSE PAS ?....Move over !!
Dnj Offline

Quote Roland Arranger forum by Marder
"My opinion is: buy a real good PA (although it's more expensive) and be happy for the next 50 years with it !

Why I say so? First we bought a JBL-Dynacord PA. We don't wanted to give away more money for a better PA. Because we needed a PA with more power after some times, we changed to RCF. Same sound but more power.
At long last we had the money to buy a PA from FOHHN Audio ... wow shocking ! We've wondered how we could play with this real bad JBL and RCF sound so long. Also our audience sayd we've played fantastic but now some only stand there agape."

#256396 - 02/11/09 06:46 AM Re: BOSE PAS ?....Move over !!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta' agree with everything he said. I've owned more than a dozen sound systems, all of which were pretty expensive, and at the time they all sounded good. Wow! That seems like a century ago.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#256397 - 02/11/09 07:10 AM Re: BOSE PAS ?....Move over !!
Dnj Offline

I like the Line array speakers pole in the Sub design.....versus Bose separate sub and base configuration....makes for less pieces to carry to gigs. What is all sounds like is another story.......but where can you go hear one in the USA?

#256398 - 02/11/09 07:45 AM Re: BOSE PAS ?....Move over !!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Bose L1 including bass stand, sub and two linear array poles, KB and KB stand, gig bag of wires & mics, laptop, mixer...all on a R'nR cart. One trip.

Biggest advantage over conventional speakers (other than clarity and dispersion of sound), no need for tripod stands or having to lift powered speakers over my head....or use passive speakers which require hauling in a powered mixer or rack mounted mixer.

A lot of molded speakers do not fit squarely on a cart or pack tight for moving.

So, for me, the fact that Bose may be 4 pieces, is a non-issue when compared to conventional systems.

Eddie

#256399 - 02/11/09 07:54 AM Re: BOSE PAS ?....Move over !!
Dnj Offline

Eddie don't forget NO STEREO

#256400 - 02/11/09 08:25 AM Re: BOSE PAS ?....Move over !!
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I prefer the flexibility of Sub placement. Thats makes a lot of difference in the sound where the sub is placed. Especially a smaller one. I'll stick with the people who took us to the party. Bose. Knock offs are always tough to judge. Are they just taking advantage of Bose success and putting out something cheap that "looks" like the Bose?. Or will they IMPROVE on the Bose. That will make all the difference in our choice to move to another array system.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#256401 - 02/11/09 08:35 AM Re: BOSE PAS ?....Move over !!
Dnj Offline

So King Frog I assume you've heard & played through the Fohhn line of speakers already?....btw sub placement has never been a factor for me on any stage Ive ever performed on.
=355&cHash=4e2f3c49b0]http://www.fohhn.c...as h=4e2f3c49b0

just wondering since your knocking it.

Quote review...."Here is the first of a couple of mini reviews on gear I was using at the churchill last week.

FOHHN RS4/RT4 PA SYSTEM

The roadline range is Fohhn's mid range touring system, which comprises of RS4 18" subs, RT4 12+2" Mid Tops (or RT6 tops which I didn't use this time), and an FC-7pro system controller. I used the flying frames and euro spigots to fly them off the 1st FOH bar in our theatre, and was using a pair of Lab Gruppen FP2600 amps. For those who don't know (or haven't heard me raving about this ) Fohhn is a high end German manufacturer (who are probably closest to D&B for comparison purposes). Anyway . . .

PROS -

+ Weight - We were working on a bar with a SWL of 250kg, the RT4s weigh only 31.5kg each. Not the easiest lift in the world, but much easier than for some other cabinets. Subs weigh 54kg each.
+ Flying system - Much simpler than the D&B method. Simply click flying frame into place, attach hook clamp and safety chain and you're done (no mucking around with AJs and allen keys (unless you're really picky ) etc)
+ Sound - The system required practically no EQ! The fohhn sound is coloured, unlike D&B which is very clinical - but the speaker has been designed to sound good as opposed to being designed because it can.
+ Connectors - There are 2 NL4 sockets wired in parallel, 1 at each end. This makes use as a floor monitor incredibly easy, and for flying applications it makes unplugging the speaker really easy (just unplug the top as opposed to trying to find the connectors on the back).
+ Build Quality - Cabinet's built from birch ply, and a grille with acoustic transparent foam. Means the cabinet was practically invisible during blackout - very useful for theatre and other aesthetically sensitive applications. It also makes it near enough indestructible!
+ Decent handles! - On the sub there are 3 multi grip handles on the sides of the cabinet, so no more breaking your wrist trying to get subs into a venue!
+ Wheels on the subs - Common sense you'd think, but there are some that don't . . .
+ Easy to use controller - everything important can be kept away from prying fingers in the back of a rack so all you have on the front is indicators, sub level control, and 4khz cut. No menus to cycle through when you need something changed either!

CONS -

- Coloured sound - Fohhn speakers are not engineered to sound clinical, they are designed to sound good. This works for most people, but there are some who want a bit more control sometimes!
- Connectors - It'd be nice if they made 4 NL4 connectors on the tops, so you could have 2 at each end instead of just one. A minor gripe, but it would make connectivity easier (eg - top sitting on a perch, but you need to link through to subs or whatever).

Overall, I think this system rocks. You can get incredible power out of it, and you can keep driving it higher and higher and it will never distort (we know, we've tried it!). It's easy to shift and rig, it's compact, and it has the famous(ish) Fohhn sound."

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-11-2009).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online