SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#256073 - 02/11/09 03:28 AM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by LUVINMYG70:
Ian,

My entire point is that you seem to be (by your several posts) state that the V-Piano is a "one trick pony" that "only appeals to a narrow segment of the market"...I can't deny that the V-Piano only does one thing...but man, you need to understand that the V does it better than anything else out there...

...may it make you $10 or whatever you are charging these days....

1. One sound. Piano. No expansion slots.

2. Not realistically transportable for one person.

3. No controller facilities...no wheels, no assignable sliders etc.

Certainly serious issues for a pro player looking for a stage piano, but, obviously not enough to discourage you.

That's cool....I didn't miss those things when I first turned pro either...

There will be people like you, who might be made very happy by the V-Piano, and I wouldn't laugh at them, even though in it's present form, it is resoundingly not my sort of keyboard.

I excuse you for implying I charge around $10 a gig, Sunshine...perhaps you seem to think everyone charges by your standards?.

You might want to consult your union...I think you are being ripped off, although probably not by much.

Now, I'm sure you'll buy what ever suits you...we're all pulling for you in that respect, and perhaps Roland will fix the deficiencies and it will a much broader appeal, other than to the niche market for which it appears designed.

Ian

#256074 - 02/11/09 04:38 AM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
by its very nature it must be aimed at a very niche market. Its got one sound although it can be altered a lot but its still just a piano, weighs a tonne and cost a bomb. Even people who love the piano sound would have to think hard about this purchase ....

#256075 - 02/11/09 01:17 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
LuvinmyG70 had me until the '$10' remark... I still don't get why people can't distinguish between reasoned discussion and outright rudeness.

What happened..? I guess not getting whupped upside the head by teachers and parents when they were kids, perhaps they just never LEARNED the difference...

If you wouldn't say it to their face, you don't post it. It's that simple...

#256076 - 02/11/09 01:24 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Diki Offline

People routinely drop ten times the V-Piano's price on a real grand. Which, unless you spend a fortune on piano technicians, only sounds ONE way. A 'true' one trick pony.

The V-Piano, even from the demos, and especially now we have had what seems like a pretty objective review from someone that DID play it, seems capable of many VERY authentic different piano sounds. So not a one trick pony by any means... Unless, of course, you are the kind of player that doesn't distinguish between piano sounds

A piano is a piano, is a piano... Is that it, Ian? For someone to not cringe every time they play the S900's tack piano (even if they don't call it that, that's what it sounds like, IMO), I would imagine that to be the case...

#256077 - 02/11/09 01:34 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
LuvinmyG70 had me until the '$10' remark... I still don't get why people can't distinguish between reasoned discussion and outright rudeness.

Diki, you know me...I don't mind clever remarks...they always make me smile, even when they get the better of me....and, it's nice that my post may provoke enough thought to earn a response...but pure rude doesn't cut it...especially purely snotty rude.

I guess this person's estimate of their importance relative to mine ended up going to their head...all I can say is...there must have been room for it.

Too bad...he was nearly making some good points.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-11-2009).]

#256078 - 02/11/09 02:12 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
A piano is a piano, is a piano... Is that it, Ian? For someone to not cringe every time they play the S900's tack piano (even if they don't call it that, that's what it sounds like, IMO), I would imagine that to be the case...

Correct, my friend...exactly my point.

And yes, I know the S900's piano doesn't appeal to you, but it works perfect for me...sits real nice in the mix...a great "arranger" piano, because the S900 is an arranger....not a digital piano...it makes no pretense at being something that it isn't, and it does what it was designed to do very well...it is a very popular arranger, one of Yamaha's most successful.

I love playing the S900, actually more than the T3, but less than playing a piano...and I have an 88 key weighted hammer instrument for those times when I want the real deal.

Calling the piano in the Yamaha S900 by less than complimentary terms still does nothing to change the one trick pony nature of the V-Piano...it just tells everyone how you feel about the former...and that's been common knowledge for some time.

It means nothing to those of us who are very happy with the S900, and even less to those interested in the Roland V-Piano.

Ian

#256079 - 02/11/09 02:43 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Diki Offline

I would imagine that few who use an S900, either philosophically or budgetary, have got the slightest interest in a V-Piano no matter WHAT it did!

They don't even do the same job. No OMB is going to use one of these. A top line pianist, yes. A studio pro, yes. A home pianist with the money but not enough room for a concert grand, yes. But an OMB or 'home' player (read amateur 'plonker' ) doesn't have the slightest need for this.

That doesn't mean there is NO need for it at all, just no need for an OMB...

It isn't ALWAYS just about you, Ian!

#256080 - 02/11/09 02:59 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

It isn't ALWAYS just about you, Ian!

Yes it is Diki...it has to be always about me...just as you feel it is always about you.

You wouldn't recognize something in me so easily...unless you had it yourself.

How else would you know how to identify it so well?

Don't be glum, chum...being selfish, especially "healthy selfish" is a good thing.

It's also a good thing you and I aren't young enough to know everything.

T'would be boring...

People would enjoy life more if, once they got what they wanted, they could remember how much they wanted it.

Ian

#256082 - 02/11/09 03:16 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
No OMB is going to use one of these. A top line pianist, yes. A studio pro, yes. A home pianist with the money but not enough room for a concert grand, yes.

Actually it's not hard to believe an arranger player could want a V-Piano...you do.

It is advertised as a "stage piano"...it makes a very poor stage piano without being versatile enough to at least include more than one sound...it isn't the dark ages where we all lugged around CP-70B's and Rhodes and Hammonds...

Why do the other stage pianos possess alternate sounds and controller abilities...and this one does not?

It's not cheaper, so why leave out these features?

If you must revisit the old days, and they make you comfortable, by all means indulge yourself in such a product.

Meanwhile, this old plonker will stick to playing a 25 lb relatively inexpensive piano that does more than one sound and does more than one trick.

Ian

#256083 - 02/11/09 03:28 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
'People routinely drop ten times the V-Piano's price on a real grand. Which, unless you spend a fortune on piano technicians, only sounds ONE way. A 'true' one trick pony.'

This is true dikki but most Pianos that are bought at 60 to 100 grand dont actually get played !! They are investments or displays of ostentatiousness bought for and by the very wealthy as expensive furniture. When they buy one of these pianos they do not expect it to fall invalue by 50% 3 years after buying it. The V piano most certainly will !

There are probably no more than 20 pianos that musicians actually want emulated. Very few musicians want to create a piano that has never been heard before. And the piano purists certainly dont want to create piano strings coated in silver gold or platinum !!

Surely it is obvious that this instrument has a very limited market just like the Korg Oasys has. Thats not to say it wont be bought at all , just that its appeal is very very limited.

I respect the gentleman that actually played the V piano and i wish him well with it if he in fact does purchase one . I am sure it wil satisfy whatever need he has for the V piano. But just like the Korg Oasys, there will be some purchasers getting the instrument purely on the basis that they will want to show off that they were the first to buy the latest and best roland offering only to be selling it a few months later at a hugely reduced price. Maybe you should wait a few months and pick up a bargin v piano second hand....

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online