SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#256063 - 02/10/09 01:23 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, chas, but I have to repeat... This board (just like the drum board and Rhodes board) has capabilities that the FantomG just DOES NOT HAVE. It's not just a question of they should have included these sounds (samples) in the original (even that argument is a bit weak, because more sounds=more cost - did you want to PAY more for the G?), but it is that the boards have entirely different synthesis capabilities on them to the G.

And that costs money. Lots of it. So you either have a FantomG with the ARX Drum capabilities (taken from the $2k+ TD-series modules) and the ARX Brass (with an entire synth on it) added to the basic cost of the G, probably pushing it a grand higher than it already is, or you have a more stripped down basic G, and can decide for yourself if you need the drums or brass. If you don't, you haven't payed for them!

#256064 - 02/10/09 01:27 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This has IMO always been an area where Roland shows their dirty greedy side. Just enough to wet your lips with the internal presets, but if you want the good sounds you gotta buy the expansion boards. Roland has been doing this for years now. I think these new boards are nice.., but for the love of Pete.., the G costs WAY more than an M3 and several hundered more than an XS6.., and Roland b--tch slaps its Fantom suppporters with $450 sound expansion boards! At least the new G has some of the SRX patches as part of the presets though.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#256065 - 02/10/09 01:32 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Diki, don't you get it? I don't WANT to hear the truth (complaining is way more fun).

chas

#256066 - 02/10/09 01:35 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Dnj Offline

I think the G70 would be perfect for Chas seriously

#256067 - 02/10/09 01:45 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The G has quite a large percentage of the 'best of the SRX' boards at no extra cost, and little more than a FantomX. Maybe that should be considered a 'slap in the face' of FantomX users, instead...

I can't believe the whining here. Put it this way. If Roland DIDN'T come out with any ARX boards, you would all be falling over yourselves praising them for including the SRX sounds it does... at no cost.

And if Roland had NOT included any slots for expansion, you would all be bitching about the lack of expandability!

The FantomG is what it is. Just like the MotifXS. Which, by the way, dropped IT'S expansion slot to the howls of protest by Yamaha users... no more virtual analog, no more modeling... Maybe they LISTENED to their whiners and took them to heart? And look where it got them...

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't, I guess...

But I would MUCH rather have a slot expandable synth, and pay happily for additional sounds and especially OS capabilities, than have to trade up to the NEXT model with these capabilities built-in...

No doubt there are PLENTY of Fantom users who are MORE than happy they could add newer sounds to their older WS's without buying a whole new one. Just as there will be LOADS of FantomG users in a few years happy that whatever new Roland come out with might possibly be a few hundred dollar addition to what they have, rather than a few thousand dollar trade-up...

You guys amaze me...

Next you'll be going 'why don't they just give me a free Atelier organ with my Sonic Cell? What a ripoff!'

Ever take a pre-schooler to a toy store? Same blank understanding of the value of things... 'I want it NOW...! More, more more, Mommy...!'

#256068 - 02/10/09 02:16 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I think the G70 would be perfect for Chas seriously

I can barely lift the Sonicell.

chas

#256069 - 02/10/09 03:28 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
yamaha have just given free updates for the XS witha tonne of new sounds , Korg have done the same for the M3. Roland are the odd ones out by charging for their expansion boards. Yes its new functionality but Korg did that with a free new OS. Whats more roland are forcing its customers to limit the sounds it can have on the keyboard by only making them available via expansion slots. It has designed obsolescents into its keyboard which is just not keeping up with the general direction that keyboards are going in terms of their expandability.

Chas if you must have the board then purchase it but you know you will regret it sooner or later .

#256070 - 02/10/09 03:44 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I can barely lift the Sonicell.

chas

so diki is stronger then you? :eek;

#256071 - 02/10/09 04:09 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
Chas if you must have the board then purchase it but you know you will regret it sooner or later .

I'm just a bad person

chas

#256072 - 02/10/09 11:40 PM Re: Roland brass. Whadyu think? Worth $450?
LUVINMYG70 Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Well, LUVINMYG70, if we are to go by your user name, you are a Roland fanboy, at least as far as the G70...

Most of us have brand preferences, in fact some people don't "buy" brands...as much as "join" them....and no doubt I'm as guilty as some, but having a "stage piano" (the V-Piano is advertised as such) with the only sound easily accessible being an "acoustic piano" (yes, I know it is variable) would be a limitation to most people, regardless of what brand's name is on their T-shirt...

Perhaps your needs preclude an easily accessible Rhodes or Wurly patch, but most stage piano players who require/use other sounds on a gig besides acoustic piano wouldn't agree with you.

I don't have a place in my heart for a NWS Schimmel 213 (7 foot) but I do have a genuine fondness for a digital stage piano with Rhodes and Wurly patches as well as a choice of several Acoustic piano sounds.

A one trick pony may work for you, but it's neigh good for me.

Ian

Ian,

You are assuming by my sign in name that I STILL have my G-70....nope...and that I am a Roland Fanboy....again nope....had this sign in name for a long time on this forum but mostly just lurk...FYI...I am a proud owner of boards from Nord (Nord Wave and C1 Combo Organ) Roland (RD-300SX, Juno-106, JXP-8 W/PG-1000, D-50, XP-80 VK-8, V-Synth GT, Fantom XR fully expanded w/6 SRX BOARDS and soon AX Synth) Yamaha (PSR-9000Pro and P-120, mint DX-7) as well as a Korg (Radias Rack and M1) as well as many sample libraries and softsynths, so I feel that I can appreciate the relative strengths and weaknessess of each manufacturer/instrument.

I gig 3-5 nights a week and hold down a very successful full time job and enjoy every one of my instruments for everything they bring to the table. IF they don't fit the bill for the situation I need them for...they don't get used...plain and simple.

My entire point is that you seem to be (by your several posts) state that the V-Piano is a "one trick pony" that "only appeals to a narrow segment of the market"...I can't deny that the V-Piano only does one thing...but man, you need to understand that the V does it better than anything else out there...software and hardware included.... the price is a non issue for someone that wants the BEST OF THE BEST.

One MIDI out and I have access to ANY sounds available....but my benefit will be that I am able to have the BEST of everything.... The Best Piano Action to control other sound sources and the BEST hardware piano tone EVER...and as an owner of PianoTEQ I venture to say that the V Kicks IT'S @SS too! I am in line for a V-Piano and I am selling a few instruments to get it...you know why? Because it is the best at what it does and I think I need it! I cannot deny that the V isn't for everybody, but can guarantee you that anyone who tries it in person, won't be able to deny that it takes the (both digital AND acoustic) piano sound to a whole new level.

This comes from someone who has ACTUALLY spent time playing the V...you know in front of it....touching keys....playing all the different edited piano sounds that I could make...messing with the editor...which I know I am fortunate to have done...but it drives me nuts to hear opinions from people who haven't even waited for the opportunity to try something in person and base their opinions on their fanboy stance and a few web demos....

Ian, please just take the Yamaha "Shirt" off and admit that although you can play a mean PSR-S900 but don't know the true capabilities of this revolutionary....yes I said it...Instrument. I know it's not what fills your needs best at the moment...and peace on that...I'm sure whatever Yamaha comes up with next to slightly evolve the 61 key arranger keyboard will be your sweetheart. To your hearts content I hope you enjoy it...may it make you $10 or whatever you are charging these days....

Anyways, that said, back to the topic at hand...

Diki...and all...the ARX-03 just kills anything I have ever heard and played from my old G-70 to any software emulation....why....because the ARX-03 is immediate....it is simply put, the best hardware Brass/Wind option available...yes I played the ARX-03 at great length on the NAMM booth thru great headphones...The SA engine is real...no other way to put it.

The GUI on the Fantom Board makes editing the ARX a breeze and all can say is wow....it can make an average keyboardist sound just frickin fantastic! I can only imagine what it would do in the hands of someone who actually knew what they were trying to create....I haven't ever delved deeply into the world of recreating Brass on a keyboard, for two reasons, one when the need has arisen, the players are usually there with real horns...and two, I never really felt that a keyboard brass sound could really do the Brass instruments voicings and articulations justice...and would just usually use my VK-8 to play Hammond lines instead. The ARX-03 seems to have changed the playing field...It's that good....again JMHO but I actually PLAYED it at NAMM for a while thru quality headphones and man again...no fanboy here but, way to go Roland....anyone want a fully expanded FANTOM XR?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online