SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#255118 - 02/02/09 05:16 AM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I would disagree with some other's low estimate of the Roland's. As I said, everyone has different priorities. I am extremely happy with the realism of my Roland G70. It's piano is without par (which isn't JUST my opinion, Ian ), it's drums are perhaps only a hair behind Ketron, and it doesn't need audio loops (which are far less customizable or available in a wide variety of styles) to achieve it. It's B3 sim is up there with some dedicated B3 clones, strings and brass are excellent, synth sounds are gorgeous, saxes are as good as anything with perhaps the exception of Yamaha's SA voices.

In fact, my only opinion of a weak spot would be it's guitars, which are still good for an arranger, but not as realistic (in style parts) as the Mega Voices of Yamaha or Korg's Guitar Mode. But I generally play with a guitarist, so that point for me is moot.

But I play in real full bands a lot of the time (still on my G70) and it's sounds keep those guys as happy as my K2500 or Triton ever did. If you want to know if an arranger sounds live, I say play it IN a live band!

My entire decision about whether to buy an arranger is based on whether I can get the same feeling playing with it that I do with a live rhythm section. I need the drums to be dynamic, crisp and punchy. I'm not looking for a polished 'studio' sound. I want SLAM! The drums in the Roland's come almost in their entirety (save some legacy kits and electronica sounds) from their TD series drum modules designed by and FOR real drummers. That, for me, is a VERY telling point.

For this liveness, I am prepared to give up some of the more sophisticated features on other arrangers. If it doesn't convince me that I've got a real drummer, what point is all the bells and whistles?

So, anyway, before you take anyone else's opinion to heart too much (which I completely counsel against), allow me to present a different opinion about Roland's. I think they sound VERY live, in all but the guitar department, and that is still not bad at all...

I still believe, instead of asking opinion, you should listen to every demo, factory AND user, that you can get your hands on. And decide for YOURSELF whether any of the top arrangers are what you want.

After all, it is YOU and not them that is going to have to play it...

And that's what I have done to come to this point. I think in the past two months I have listened to every demo, youtube video and recording I could find on the net on all these boards coming to this final roundup, but felt I wasn't getting the full picture after not hearing them in a live situation.

I assume you are using version 2.0 or higher of the OS on the G70 and you still find the guitars a bit weak. I do find G70 guitars close in listening to them in the demos I have found. That was with Guitar mode though and the guitars in the normal voices were weak in the mix. I do agree with you, even though I haven't had my hands on any of these boards, after listening to what I have, the G70 does have some good potential to be an all around good board for arranger and synth and it does have 76keys.

Don't get me wrong, T2/T3 sound great to me too. They have great potential with SA/SA2 for great recordings and live situations. This is why both are on top of my list with the Roland.

#255119 - 02/02/09 08:02 AM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hey Vin,
One small detail. If you consider the Motif XS...it DOES NOT have Super Articulation 2.
The expanded articularion it has is not the same as Tyros 3 SA or SA 2.

Lee

#255120 - 02/02/09 08:35 AM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Hey Vin,
One small detail. If you consider the Motif XS...it DOES NOT have Super Articulation 2.
The expanded articularion it has is not the same as Tyros 3 SA or SA 2.

Lee

Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep that in mind.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online