SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#252926 - 01/08/09 11:50 AM NAMM Show 2009
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The NAMM Show starts next Thursday for the retail and wholesale music industry. Many of you still ask if it's open to the public and it's not. In fact, last year,and even more so this year, all badged entry must be accompanied with a drivers license or other picture ID. The show is for the manufactures to show their stuff and for store buyers to purchase for the new year. Unfortunately for owners like myself, the show has become less for buying and more for just seing and touching. If this is the intention, I'm for having the public come in at least the last day and getting to see the products, much like the Automobile industry does. I personaly have become tired of fighting the crowds of people who are not affiliated with a store or manufacturer and prefer the old days when the show was a lot smaller.

The sad issue for me this year is that there will not be a Ketron booth, and as I've seen on the NAMM website, there will also not be a Generalmusic booth. When lesser known arranger keyboards choose not to show their stuff, it often doesn't help stores decide to sell these lesser known brands. I hope this doesn't hurt Ketron and GEM in their efforts.

I had an email from Ted Kraus at CMC Distributors, the Ketron Distributor here in the USA and he informs me that he personally might attend the show but there would be no keyboards on display.

This will be my 39th NAMM show and I too will only attend one day this year.
I don't expect much in the world of new products because of the economy, but maybe a few good new things will surprise us.
In the past years I've enjoyed reporting to you all everything I've seen and my initial impressions. This year, I will only be going on the last day, Sunday, so if I see anything cool, I will report then.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#252927 - 01/08/09 12:41 PM Re: NAMM Show 2009
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
George,
As I expected...and not enough of the dealers come to learn the products, features etc.

With the exception of you and Frank (and maybe a few others) most dealers do NOT KNOW CRAP about the products and can not demo them either. And don't even stock them.

Maybe NAMM should change to a open event so we can go to find out DIRECTLY from the manufacturers. I would expect if that ever happened there would NOT be any selling to the public. But you guys could buy.

There is so much more the US could do for promotion of music (like Europe).

Lee

#252928 - 01/08/09 12:45 PM Re: NAMM Show 2009
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thanks George:

Please keep us posted about things you saw that KB People (especially Arrangers) would want to know about.

Best,

Dave Rice
http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/DaveRice

#252929 - 01/08/09 02:05 PM Re: NAMM Show 2009
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not even worth going if they HAD a public open day, IMO.

If the arranger manufacturers aren't there, what is there to put hands on, anyway?

T3's already out, probably won't be an S900 replacement for a year or so, Roland are unlikely to have anything new (GW-8 is already out), Ketron are a no show, Korg are unlikely to have anything new after the PA2X OS2 is already out. Wersi and MS... who cares?

What's left? A new EXR, or Casio budget arranger..? Yawn.

Attendance at NAMM, both vendor AND dealer, is likely to reflect what few here want to acknowledge... 2009 is likely to be one of the worst years economically since the Great Depression.

Better start to REALLY dig into the manual of what you already have!

#252930 - 01/08/09 04:42 PM Re: NAMM Show 2009
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
George,

I must say I'm disapointed that Ketron will not be there, there is a thirst for more knowledge re the Audya, and I think they do themselves a diservice by not being there at the premiere event. Also being an Aussie I would love to go to NAMM, as I'm sure a lot of other international travellers would also, so why NAMM, doesn't have a public day or days is beyond belief, i mean think of the economy, maybe manufacturers would be more happy to buy space there if the public were involved along with the retailers etc.

damm namm shame if you ask me

#252931 - 01/08/09 04:45 PM Re: NAMM Show 2009
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That thirst for Audya knowledge is quickly slaked by awareness of the price...

#252932 - 01/08/09 04:54 PM Re: NAMM Show 2009
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
This will be my first NAMM, and I was pretty excited about seeing the Audya, and talking to some representatives from Italy.

#252933 - 01/08/09 05:19 PM Re: NAMM Show 2009
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yes it is a bit sad Frank, I know I for one (and everyone else on the SZ!!) would have appreciated your opinion on it, but in my view, I think it underscores Ketrons perceived and possibly intended "serious" market.

I don't think they have missed ONE music expo/show in Europe-UK with the Audya.

Now its in production, I think the US will be left to its "own devices" when it comes to promotion and sales.

Same applies in Oz too, not that we get any decent music show of ANY kind.

Dennis

#252934 - 01/08/09 05:51 PM Re: NAMM Show 2009
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Diki.., this is one of the those Audya FACT moments Perhaps FACT has been spreading....

In all seriousness though.., I think Ketron cleary shows they have very little interest in the US market. Yes.., these things are going to be shown all over the UK.., but once again Ketron is giving the US the finger IMO.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-08-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#252935 - 01/08/09 06:18 PM Re: NAMM Show 2009
leezone Offline

Ketron doesn't need to attend any more conferences/expos,

i mean... they're like Apple-MAC,
they are HUGE, so popular already...

right? :-)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online