SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#252690 - 01/06/09 01:30 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Roland does not use different piano samples in ONE sample. They do however use different sampled pianos on various instruments. Any Roland rep who says Roland uses multiple pianos on one sample is falling asleep in meetings and missed a few interoffice memos.

Just because a company makes acoustic pianos doesn't automatically make them "masters" of a digitally reproduced version. I think Yamaha's an excellent example. I actually like the sound of a REAL Yamaha acoustic grand, but IMO their digital sampled versions don't even sound like they come from their acoustic line. Even the new Motif XS piano is lacking IMO.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-06-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#252691 - 01/06/09 01:38 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
With all the inconsistency between notes, it would hardly be surprising they sampled different pianos for each note.

Look, I'm not saying Yamaha makes a better digital piano sound than Roland...sound is very subjective and personal...but there is no denying the inconsistancy between notes that plague Roland DPs.

Sit down at one and try each note...you'll hear what I'm talking about.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-06-2009).]

#252692 - 01/06/09 01:41 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ahhh... the manufacturer rep... The paragon of accurate information, and deep insider knowledge

I ALWAYS believe everything they say, don't you, Ian?

Just find ONE piano that sounds remotely like any Yamaha arranger sampled piano... and I'll show you a piano that ought to be condemned! No, I take that back... the Western is making a comeback. There's GOT to be a need for a bar-room tack piano sound in an arranger (I know there's one of those in a Yamaha, too, but I bet they use the same samples!)

Listen Ian, it's quite simple. You work at Yamaha dealers. Go play a CFIII, then play the S900... If you think there's ANY resemblance, it's not MY ears that need looking at

#252693 - 01/06/09 01:41 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But it remains, to my ears, the finest ROM piano available in an arranger (being the one in my G70).

Wait until NAMM. Roland Piano division SHOULD have a bit of a revolution (or so I am told) as far as the structure of digital pianos goes.

And some big changes to the KR series pianos to do with their arranger side.

They may not release full details and specs, but the word I hear is they will.

Dennis

#252694 - 01/06/09 01:44 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
miden Offline

Loc: The World
The best piano from Yamaha (at the lower end of the price scale) I heard was the one on the S90ES. Directly sampled from the Yamaha S700 Grand. S90es had 74mb of sample data JUST for that one piano.

Mind you the rest of the pianos were pretty ordinary.

Dennis

#252695 - 01/06/09 01:47 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Listen Ian, it's quite simple. You work at Yamaha dealers. Go play a CFIII, then play the S900... If you think there's ANY resemblance, it's not MY ears that need looking at

Have you tried playing the G70 and a Roland acoustic piano?

#252696 - 01/06/09 01:48 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Good example Dennis.... The S90ES's piano was very much liked by many. Didn't Yamaha offer that particular sample as a download for the Motif XS too (due to how popular it was with S90 owners)?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#252697 - 01/06/09 01:52 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
The best piano from Yamaha (at the lower end of the price scale) I heard was the one on the S90ES. Directly sampled from the Yamaha S700 Grand. S90es had 74mb of sample data JUST for that one piano.

My favorite is Grand Piano 1 in the Yamaha CP-300...stunning, and works terrific either solo or in a mix.

#252698 - 01/06/09 01:59 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:

And some big changes to the KR series pianos to do with their arranger side.

Dennis

I've heard that as well Dennis...again, from my buddy, the Roland rep...he was also very evasive about a G70 replacement, but apparently the E-series will still continue.

Maybe it will include a 76 note model...the E-90 perhaps?

#252699 - 01/06/09 02:05 PM Re: Rolands Great UltimateX Grand Piano was Sampled from which Grand Piano???
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Have you tried playing the G70 and a Roland acoustic piano?

Straining just a bit hard, there, aren't you, Ian You can do better, mate!

But it IS telling how you pick a CP series piano, and NOT the T3 or S900, which you currently have...

Me, I'll take the G70 piano over anything... Just MIDI it to a wood 88 if you GOT to have the action and you're in business

After all, this IS an arranger forum, ain't it?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online