SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#252567 - 01/04/09 03:56 PM Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I decided to more carefully keep track of these, so I have started a file on my computer to keep them organized. Thanks to Eileen and others, and to some of the on-line demo videos) for help in discovering some of these!

This is on ypko site also; didn't know if people here all read that one too, or not. Hope I didn't break a rule by posting here for SZ readers to utilize!

Here is my list so far:

(FEEL FREE TO ADD ONES THAT YOU KNOW ABOUT or DISCOVER!)

40’sBigBand – Moonlight Serenade
6-8 Orchestral (Intro2) – Theme From A Summer Place (if you speed up the style a bit)
70s8Beat - It's Not Unusual
70sChartCntry (Intro 2) - Top of the World
80sSynthRock-Sledgehammer
AnimationBallad - Beauty and the beast
BlueberryBlues (Intro 2) – Blueberry Hill (I guess this one is obvious!)
Country 2 Step (Intro 2) – Boot Scoot’n’ Boogie
DiscoFox and DiscoHands – Boney M. songs (Daddy Cool, Mary’s Boy Child)
FolkPop (Intro 2) – The Boxer
Jammin’GtrPop – Faith
JumpJive – Jump Jive ‘n’ Wail
MidnightSwing – Unforgettable
MovieBallad (Intro 2) – Somewhere Out There
MoviePanther - Pink Panther theme
MovieSoundtrack - Pirates of the Caribean
OrchestralSwing2 (Intro 3) – Swingin’ Safari
OrganBallad (Intro 3) – Whiter Shade of Pale
PopBossa – You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
Rock&Roll1 (Intro 3) – Johnny B. Goode
Rock&Roll2 (no intro, start with Main A) – Jailhouse Rock
Sherrif Reggae-I Shot the Sheriff (obvious one of course!)
SynthPop-LuckyStar
WildWest (Intro 3) - Magnificent Seven

Tijuana – Tijuana Brass songs (several; I can’t remember the song titles, but each intro seems tailored to a specfic Tijuana Brass song – can someone help out and name ‘em?

FEEL FREE TO ADD OTHERS that you know about!

Jim

#252568 - 01/05/09 07:42 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

I have about 500 in my custom MFD that use onboard styles. I'll have to convert the file for posting, possibly later today.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#252569 - 01/05/09 08:45 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
jimlaing Offline

Hi - would like to see that. My intent here is not as much a full MFD of thousands of songs, but in cataloging the very specific songs that some styles seem to be made for - that is, the songs that the Yamaha engineers might have had in mind when they made a certain style.

Thanks!
Jim

#252570 - 01/05/09 11:43 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am afraid I have great problems using these kinds of styles. Other than for the song they imitate quite accurately, I find that they are SO specific, trying to play other songs on them always brings up the recollection of that song no matter what you play! And of course the Intros and Endings are so specific, you can hardly use them!

I far prefer styles that don't suggest anything TOO accurately. If I want a dead on accurate recreation, I would FAR prefer an SMF. Gain back my LH, gain back a bass line that can lead properly, and Markers can STILL give me arrangement flexibility....

JMO

#252571 - 01/05/09 05:45 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
travlin'easy Offline

Diki,

We're on opposite ends of the spectrum with this one. I would much rather have 5,000 specific style files that are custom tailored for each song I perform. The right intro, the correct fills and breaks, right ending, complementing multi-pads and custom OTS settings. This provides me with all the versatility I need for each of those songs, plus a vast variety of style files that provide the audiences with the diversity and individualism they want to hear.

Cheers,

Gary

#252572 - 01/05/09 05:56 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
travlin'easy Offline

Jim,

I didn't have a convenient way of creating a list from the MFD, therefore, I emailed you a converted MFD from the PSR-3000 to the Tyros2. I believe it will load in your keyboard OK.

Gary

#252573 - 01/05/09 06:00 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
jimlaing Offline

I sort of like both - I like "general" styles, which can be used for many songs - and there are lots of those in the Tyros 2/3 and S900. I also like to know which styles might be highly 'custom' (tailored) to a specific song, so I can take best advantage of that on those songs.

The MFD helps with the former (many songs and styes that work for them); the list I am compiling is for the latter (those styles that seem highly stylized (custom) to a very specific song.

Thanks for all the comments/discussion on this topic!

If you find any more styles that are highly custom for very specific songs on Ty2 or Ty3 please feel free to add to my list via a Reply to this topic . . .

Jim

#252574 - 01/06/09 01:46 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I am afraid I have great problems using these kinds of styles. Other than for the song they imitate quite accurately, I find that they are SO specific, trying to play other songs on them always brings up the recollection of that song no matter what you play! And of course the Intros and Endings are so specific, you can hardly use them! I far prefer styles that don't suggest anything TOO accurately.

I couldn't agree more.

I actually think song-specific styles are pretty feeble. They make for impressively authentic demos by the salesman in the store, but they're the easiest styles to write and are the most musically limited (and limiting). A manufacturer that packs a board with such styles is just going for the least demanding option.

Much more impressive are excellent quality generic styles that lend themselves to much wider use.

#252575 - 01/06/09 02:08 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Diki Offline

I am afraid that one thing I almost NEVER see posted here is a discussion on bass lines. You would think no-one even listens to them, for all the attention they get!

But the one hugest difference between a song specific style, and an SMF is the bass line. Arranger bass lines never know what chord is next, so you don't get the voice leading and walking that the real line does (or any bass line played by a bass player). The bass line is one of the things that make a song a song.

No matter how specific the other parts get, the lack of a decent bass line is one of the main reasons I prefer an SMF when I'm trying to nail a particular arrangement...

But once again I point out the usefulness of Markers in SMF's. If you have never tried them yet, and are still using song specific styles just so you can rearrange structure on the fly, you are in for a surprise!

#252576 - 01/06/09 05:32 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
They make for impressively authentic demos by the salesman in the store
Much more impressive are excellent quality generic styles that lend themselves to much wider use.

You're right...they make for impressively authentic demos...but they also sound pretty cool to the player who does not want to use SMF.

I also agree that the excellent quality generic styles on the Yamaha lend themselves to a much wider usage, and, if I may add, they also provide a great basis for making your own styles using style assembly.

Having great "cover" AND generic styles would seem to be a "no-brainer" in encompassing the best of both worlds...kudos to Yamaha for having both...plus...an extensive third party style base unequalled by any other manufacturer.

Ian

#252577 - 01/06/09 05:36 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Dnj Offline

Quote:
I am afraid that one thing I almost NEVER see posted here is a discussion on bass lines. You would think no-one even listens to them, for all the attention they get!

But the one hugest difference between a song specific style, and an SMF is the bass line. Arranger bass lines never know what chord is next, so you don't get the voice leading and walking that the real line does (or any bass line played by a bass player). The bass line is one of the things that make a song a song.

No matter how specific the other parts get, the lack of a decent bass line is one of the main reasons I prefer an SMF when I'm trying to nail a particular arrangement...

But once again I point out the usefulness of Markers in SMF's. If you have never tried them yet, and are still using song specific styles just so you can rearrange structure on the fly, you are in for a surprise!

Are you kidding? didnt you know SMF's are Taboo to most players....where you been?

#252578 - 01/06/09 05:39 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
You're right...they make for impressively authentic demos...but they also sound pretty cool to the player who does not want to use SMF.

I also agree that the excellent quality generic styles on the Yamaha lend themselves to a much wider usage, and, if I may add, they also provide a great basis for making your own styles using style assembly.

Having great "cover" AND generic styles would seem to be a "no-brainer" in encompassing the best of both worlds...kudos to Yamaha for having both...plus...an extensive third party style base unequalled by any other manufacturer.

Ian

Your so right Ian.....

generic styles are the way to go....the Yamaha Detroit 2 style is simply brilliant for songs in the My Girl genre.......
love it!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-06-2009).]

#252579 - 01/06/09 11:28 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Are you kidding? didnt you know SMF's are Taboo to most players....where you been?

LOL... I know, I know...

Where would some of us here be if we couldn't recover from a clam by holding the arranger on one chord until we regroup?

The poor SMF doesn't give you as much opportunity to 'fake it'!

#252580 - 01/06/09 11:52 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
jimlaing Offline

... and when will someone come out with an arranger that will recognize that Q-minor chord I just played, or better, an arranger that does what I want, not what I actually did . . .

:-)

jim

#252581 - 02/22/09 12:47 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
jimlaing Offline

Here is another (for Tyros3):

Skiffle: "Lay Down Sally"

#252582 - 02/22/09 02:18 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:

Agreed. If we are going for a specific song we use the Toon1000 Library Which not only contains the exact arrangemnt, but also the harmony parts already programmed in to the SMF. I don't care for styles that are renditions of certain songs. Pretty much eliminates its use for anything else and the SMF files are always better. Especially the Basslines which may not be always on the Tyros does not allow for Bass selection on the root without delveing into a menu (not sure if registration will be of help here. The Tyros, unlike the Korg, does not have the "button" on the panel to make those changes during the song.

SMF always has correct bass lines. Thats where the rub is using MFD "songs"
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252583 - 02/23/09 11:11 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Kingfrog,
I googled toon1000 to see where I could get the SMF's...No hit??

I'm interested in making some song specific styles with the Toon1000 files.
Lee

#252584 - 02/23/09 11:22 AM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Diki Offline

Tune1000

#252585 - 02/23/09 12:02 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll bet they are readily available for the asking.
DonM

#252586 - 02/23/09 12:11 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Kingfrog,
I googled toon1000 to see where I could get the SMF's...No hit??

I'm interested in making some song specific styles with the Toon1000 files.
Lee

Toon1000 is out of business. We got their library before they became unavailable. Very good SMFs including lyrtics and harmony settings.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252587 - 02/23/09 03:40 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
jimlaing Offline

Is there still a way to acquire the Tune 1000 library (or parts of)? I had bought some years ago, and they were in fact very good. It's a shame they're not available anymore

Jim

#252588 - 02/23/09 04:03 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Diki Offline

Maybe because so many DID 'acquire' these files, perhaps not from authorized dealers...

Secure delivery. Copy protection. Watermarks. Either the style and SMF industry gets these (as much of a PITA as they can be) or they all go the way of Tune1000...

#252589 - 02/23/09 04:10 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
jimlaing Offline

Yes, could be. I actually *bought* a bunch of these - at one time, I could buy them at our local sheet- music store; they had a Tune1000 computer in the store, I think you took away a floppy (!) with whatever songs you bought. I remember it seemed like a legit, Tune1000-company thing, versus the music store selling "bootlegs" ...

Jim

#252590 - 02/23/09 04:34 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jimlaing:
Is there still a way to acquire the Tune 1000 library (or parts of)? I had bought some years ago, and they were in fact very good. It's a shame they're not available anymore

Jim

Jim you have mail....

#252591 - 02/23/09 06:03 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I told you they were probably available.
I suppose it's o.k. to distribute them now that the company is out of business.
Diki is right. Before long there won't be new software unless it can be protected. I'm as guilty as anyone.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 02-23-2009).]

#252592 - 02/23/09 10:32 PM Re: Tyros styles that seem to be created/tailored for very specific songs
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Maybe because so many DID 'acquire' these files, perhaps not from authorized dealers...

Secure delivery. Copy protection. Watermarks. Either the style and SMF industry gets these (as much of a PITA as they can be) or they all go the way of Tune1000...

They cannot be revoiced and copied within the Tyros or 900 et al, WITH the revoiced tracks, however they can be copied and distributed on flash drives. They are superb renditions of the original songs. The best I have heard, Have 98 MBs of them

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-23-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online