SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >
Topic Options
#252463 - 01/05/09 10:07 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by MusiCo:
Dnj,
I mainly make my own styles, plain and simple. All those parts in a style are only useable if you don't play too much melody yourself. It all clouds up the sound by hearing drums, bass and 6 different instruments playing different patterns and layering your own lively playing upon that. In such a mix, the soundquality of the leadsounds is hugely diminished by the blurr of the parts because they are often in the same range as the lead instruments(a good mixer knows what I'm talking about).
Here also the lack of a 5-band EQ per part is in play !
Try it, and you'll notice that by turning parts of and keeping the accompaniment "realistic,tidy and clean", you're going to free the leadsounds. The SA2 saxophone for instance sounds great solo, but in blend with the styles, you don't hear the fine nuances anymore. T3 is not the only kb I use, I use it mostly for it's sounds and for (custom)styles.

BTW : the point of improvement I ment is primarily in the versatility of the styles : I don't want a machine packed full of styles only applicabele to 1 specific song. Secondary the T3 would sound alot better OTB if the OTS's would not have all of the parts activated.

I disagree on your remark making it sound like the only distinguishing point of the T3 is it's complex styles : I think the styles are nothing special the competition can't match.

You should have bought a Motif or Korg PA2x.
The TYROS is definitely not for you or anyone else who has the same needs.

I had the opposite issue with the Korg and bought the Tyros becasue I did not need to tweak as much. However you can insert a r or L part into the final mix and have ALL the EQ available.

Definitely more of a Studio/Home Box than live though, The Korg has LIVE USE all over it. Not so the T3. We record tracks and take the tracks and the RD700 and guitar on gigs and leave the T3 home. Going to pick up a module for right hand solos other than piano. Not worth lugging the T3 around for that.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252464 - 01/05/09 12:04 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Some use an arranger to simply accompany their singing... others use it to accompany their PLAYING. If you play a LOT, you sure don't need a lot going on in the accompaniment, Donny...

#252465 - 01/05/09 12:22 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Exactly Diki! Not everyone buys an arranger to accompany their singing. Some people are players first..., singers second.., and not even singers at all.

Some people enjoy the styles, but also like room to play. I've found some styles to be too busy from every maker out there.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#252466 - 01/05/09 01:09 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Some use an arranger to simply accompany their singing... others use it to accompany their PLAYING. If you play a LOT, you sure don't need a lot going on in the accompaniment, Donny...

Can't agree diki, what does it matter if you sing or not? Vocals are part of the Full BAND Sound.......I just want to see & hear one man with an arranger make a dance crowd of lets say 300 to 400 pp crowd with just "simple stripped down styles" to almost nothing, vocals or not dance all night.

I'd love to see & hear it without much going on. Listen what I'm saying to you 300 to 400+pp....

Play a LOT? hahahahahah

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-05-2009).]

#252467 - 01/05/09 01:22 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
jwyvern Offline

Quoting Musico:

"EQ :
Yamaha could have made the T3 sound FAR better if every part would have it's own 5-range EQ : the overall EQ is a 5 range, but on a part (left,right1,right2,etc) you only get a 2-range EQ, aka bass/treble. For someone who wants to get the most out of the tyros, this absolutely stands in the way ! This is IMO related to the complaints about the concert grand sound not matching the demo's"

It's true the individual voices have a treble/bass EQ but it doesn't have to stop there. Three band EQ's are available in the DSP section and you can assign them to as many voices as you wish. They are customise-able for frequency, band width and mono/stereo. Solo voices in the main have a range of less than half the KB so it is arguable whether you'd need any more than 3 bands to cover the audio range - unless I'm completely missing the point somewhere.

Even with piano, 3 may be enough to cover any serious "holes" especially the C3/C5 area.
I use the "ST 3BAND EQ" DSP with the Concert Grand to good effect (even if that piano to me still is not as striking as the live grand) with Variation on and set to provide mid gain of +5. I left other parameters at default settings, but if you want to be more discerning they can be changed and saved as a USER file.
Thought I'd mention it- it might help to consider using the DSP's since the EQ features are of some concern to you

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 01-05-2009).]

#252468 - 01/05/09 01:25 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Diki Offline

I can understand your confusion, Donny... Concentrate on the vocal, and let the machine do most of it for you is all very well for acts that put the 'entertainer' front and center. To the point, as you have told us many times, where you go out front and let the machine do EVERYTHING. Now, don't get me wrong, it's ONE way of doing a show.

There are others.

There are some of us quite capable of covering three or more parts of playing, while we sing as well! Hence the need to strip out three parts from the accompaniment. I rarely feel comfortable playing if both my hands are not fully utilized. But that's just me. If I had your voice, maybe I'd work it differently. MAYBE if you could play three or four parts while you sing, YOU might feel differently, too.

We all do different acts, yet somehow, we keep working. What works for you is by no means universal. It is simply ONE way of doing it. Whatever 'it' is

#252469 - 01/05/09 01:39 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There are so many options with today's TOTL arranger keyboards that you can pretty much do anything you want. However, I must agree with DNJ that if you want to pack a dancefloor, and keep it packed throughout the night, you need to utilize the keyboard's higher level style variations. Some folks call them busy, but most audiences love what they hear. Just having a bass and drums as accompianament might work in a small lounge-lizard setting with no vocals and dancers, but in the larger venues where dancing is the primary point of focus, you're gonna' need more.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#252470 - 01/05/09 01:46 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Diki Offline

I think we are referring to the fact that stripped out arranger parts are being played by the player, not dropped altogether. It's just like playing with a live band. Somehow, despite not having full horn, string and synth sections, they manage to pack dance-floors also!

Only thing different is that the keyboard player actually PLAYS all those parts! What a concept... a keyboard player, actually PLAYING the parts! How quaint!

That's all we are talking about, not some Philip Glass minimalism

#252471 - 01/05/09 01:47 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well said Diki....
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#252472 - 01/05/09 08:17 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
To the point, as you have told us many times, where you go out front and let the machine do EVERYTHING. Now, don't get me wrong, it's ONE way of doing a show.

diki please get your facts straight you have no idea what your talking about.
Ahhh whats the use?...I shouldn't even get involved in these silly topics anymore.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online