SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#252533 - 02/07/09 01:59 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Donny probably thinks everyone buys every subsequent model as soon as they come out. Truth is, probably a LOT more than he thinks wait at least TWO generations before purchasing and trading up... It seems to take at LEAST that before any model can be considered more than a simple upgrade from the previous. I can't remember the last time ANY keyboard manufacturer released two revolutionary leaps forward in a row.

They usually leverage the technology of the first 'revolution' for another model at the very least, usually two. THEN come out with another 'great leap forward' six to ten years after the first. My bet would be, the next TOTL Yamaha arranger NOT called 'Tyros' will be the first thing of any significant departure from where we are now...

#252534 - 02/07/09 02:09 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Diki Offline

Mike...

Just curious, but are you having problems applying effects to the song in song mode? That stuff sounded bone dry (the antithesis of 80's music ), and the drums particularly suffered form no ambiance or space around them...

To be honest, I can do stuff that at least equals that (and sounds more rounded) on the G70 as is. Try the Power Rock style, for instance. I wouldn't be surprised if the T3 and PA2 can easily give that a run for it's money, too.

In half the time (or just live, actually )...

Sorry, but the bit depth of the DAC's is the LAST thing anyone listens to...

#252535 - 02/07/09 02:25 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[b]Tyros 3 although a great arranger was released too early after Tyros2 leaving many T2 users with a bad taste in their mouth after shelling out bucks & then right behind it an upgraded T3 comes along so soon making it difficult to trade, sell, upgrade or rebuy the T3.

Donny, the T3 came out roughly 3 years after the T2 which is basically Yammie's timetable for releasing new high and mid range arrangers. The T2 came out 3 years after the T1 did and many people took the plunge for a T2 because it offered the "new" SA1 voices and there were 42 of them so that was a pretty exciting reason to upgrade from the T1 to the T2. I would have done the upgrade dance too if the T2 (or T3) had 76 keys. But the reason T2 owners (and others) were hesitant on getting a T3, in my opinion, was there was no "significant" reason for doing so. It still only had 61 keys, still no REAL Sampler, the Drums are underwhelming, and it only has a mere "11" SA2 voices with most of them just variations of the same sample(s). So not only is the T3 just a "minor" upgrade from a T2, in some instances the T2 beats the snot out of the T3. Better drums for one. Lower price for another.

>> I wanted to post this other compilation of Fantom G sounds for everyone who may be interested. This is a combination of Synth and Acoustic sounds together in a song format. The sounds included are Lead Synth, Synth Bass, Rock Organ, a Rhodes EP, Distortion Guitar, and an acoustic Drum kit. I included one as a .wav file for audio purists.

The Fantom G has 24bit DAC's which, in my opinion, gives it a nice clean punchy sound. If there's anybody thinking about getting a "true" Workstation keyboard you may want to put the Fantom G on your short list of workstation keyboard purchases. I'm liking my Fantom G7 more and more each day with the possibilities growing exponentially as to what it can do. A person really needs to be willing to dig in and take the time and effort to be able to get the most out of it though. Something that many keyboardists would rather not do of course.

Enjoy!

Arise.mp3

Arise.wav

All the best,
Mike

[/B]

Mike maybe I should of said T2,T3 way too close to each other "FEATURE WISE" as you described very nicely....yet I wonder what Card Yamaha will play in the next Arranger wars game?

#252536 - 02/07/09 03:10 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Mike, glad you're happy with your FantomG, I still have mixed feelings about mine. I think the (OOTB) synth sounds are fantastic, acoustic instruments mediocre, and pianos lackluster. There's a great EP (Dominique EP - live set) that I used solo to back a young lady doing a 'Eva Cassady-like' version of 'Funny Valentine'. Sounded great but not three grand worth of great. I think I could have found something on the Triton (I have the piano board) that might have been equally effective (maybe). I think if I had to do it over again (spend three grand), I'd probably go with a Nord Stage or a combo of Korg M50 and Electro 3. I could take the leftover and get that nice little red controller to drive my Sonicell (would match the C1). .....or maybe not. It's kinda nice only having to set up the C1 and (Traynor) K4. Takes 2 minutes.

Anyway, have fun. I'm just starting to explore RPS. What a blast. Too bad I'm not too into that genre'. Hard to teach a (really) old dog new tricks.

chas

#252537 - 02/08/09 12:41 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
enjoyed your demos Keybplayer. Thanks for posting !

#252538 - 02/08/09 03:41 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Mike, sounds like you're having a ball with the Fantom. I enjoyed the demo. Thanks.

#252539 - 02/08/09 08:46 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
"Just curious, but are you having problems applying effects to the song in song mode? That stuff sounded bone dry"

Each part had it's own effects and reverb was one of them. If you listened to them on a laptop they do sound pretty dry. Not saying you did that of course. When heard through a decent sound system with a sub it can really make a difference in the overall sound.

A lot of people don't like to drown their music in reverb and/or other effects. To each his own I suppose. Sometimes I like to provide a global reverb after a song has already been recorded. I really didn't think it necessary in these two instances though. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

All the best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-08-2009).]

#252540 - 02/08/09 10:29 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Diki Offline

I listened to the mp3 version through a pair of Mackie HR824's...

What are you listening through?

Have a listen to 'Jump'. Not exactly bone dry, that one!

Rock music tends towards the 'bigger' sounds, in general. Maybe trying to suggest the 'stadium' sound, I'm not sure. But the drums? I don't think I've heard THAT dry on a rock track ever... You don't have to use a hall preset, but it needs a LOT more 'room'. They sound like they were tracked in a closet (sorry!). Think Bonham... Think Def Leppard... Think Van Halen... Big rooms around the drums during tracking, then some larger stuff put around the snare and tomes afterwards.

Yes, it's easy to overdo reverb. It's also possible (though rarer!) to underdo it, too...

#252541 - 02/08/09 10:56 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Im sorry, the tracks sounded very thin. I expected far more from the Roland Workstation. Would love to hear the same sequence through a Korg and Tyros, even a 900.

I don;t think reverb is the Answer here. The synth sound like a dirty sine wave, no balls. The electric piano had no depth, Drums were the same I have heard on every keyboard, no dynamics, apparently not multi sampled.

I don;t think a pair of Genelecs would have changed my mind. I did like the song though , the sequence and the playing.

I know blunt sucks but realize its one person's opinion with no credibility.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252542 - 02/11/09 01:41 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
rsm2000e Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Two comments -
Jedi, I use my T3 nearly every day for gigging - not a problem as far as I can tell.

Hammer

Do you use a soft bag or hard case to transport your Tyros 3 to gigs?

Where did you buy the 'bag' if you use one?

I have a "Gator" bag for my S900 which works well, but I don't know of a "Gator" bag for the Tyros 3, do you?

thanks.

rsm

PS: When you use the "Concert Grand" voice, is the DSP light "lit up" or "turned off" by default?

Thanks.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online