SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#251606 - 12/20/08 01:43 PM Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
Dnj Offline

#251608 - 12/20/08 02:02 PM Re: Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
Dnj Offline

The "K" shows are everywhere.....
like it or not it's spreading like wildfire....grab your Mic & Start the show!!! .....
We're DOOMED...the future looks bleak.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaoke
http://karaoke.nettop20.com/

etc, ....etc,...etc,...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-20-2008).]

#251609 - 12/20/08 03:09 PM Re: Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
DOOMED? Not in this life. I've been turning down more jobs during the past six week than most folks play in a year. I'm not talkin' NH, senior center jobs. These are private parties, corporate parties, upscale retirement communities and upscale restaurants.

As for the KJs in my immediate area, most perform once a week at best, and they're paid on average about $150 to $175 for 4-hours work. I've been to a few show put on by what is touted as the best in this part of the world, and at most they draw a half-dozen singers, some of which are very talented. As for the audiences, well my sister, brother-in-law and about 10 of their friends go to a KJ show about three times a month. None of them sing, they drink a couple $1 draft beers and gnaw on some greasy ribs.

On the flip side of the coin, I performed at an Italian restaurant last Thursday, packed the place with 50 to 70-year olds that loved to dance, kept the dance-floor packed, they all enjoyed a sumptuous dinner, the restaurant owner made lots of money, the wait-staff pocketed lots of tips, everyone was happy and my pay scale was a lot better than the KJ performing at the American Legion.

Doomed--Not a chance. I just wish I were 20 years younger and still had all of this technology at my fingertips. There's a place for KJs, DJs and OMB entertainers, and from my perspective one WILL NOT displace the other. 2009 will be a fun year, and despite the nation's economic condition I'll still be out there making a good living.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#251610 - 12/20/08 04:11 PM Re: Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Smart move, IMO...

Karaoke to distract the poor passengers from realizing that those huge hikes in ticket prices, and cutbacks in baggage amounts (and handlers) made just a while ago because of the gas price hikes, have NOT come back down much (if any) now that gas is back to pre-hike prices.

Presumably, the person singing 'Achy breaky heart' is more painful than being ripped off by the airline

#251611 - 12/20/08 04:19 PM Re: Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
[b]DOOMED? Not in this life. I've been turning down more jobs during the past six week than most folks play in a year. [/B]

I have to agree, Gary...instead of a slow down, I have received more calls than usual this year.

I'm turning them down as I'm not going to start back with my own gigs(still doing some for Yamaha) until after the winter.

I also think 2009 will be a good year....people like to be entertained when things seem a little tough.

Ian

#251612 - 12/20/08 05:22 PM Re: Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Thank the good Lord I'm in the same boat with Gary. I'm getting all kinds of calls and I'm almost at my maximum for next year. I think the KJ's have been around so long in this area that they are pretty well played out. The DJ's however are still going strong. But there is still lots of room for OMB entertainers that are good. Long live live music.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#251613 - 12/20/08 07:50 PM Re: Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
Dnj Offline

Look at the worldwide "K" picture....read the link I posted.
it's bigger then anything out there & growing. It's the future when were gone that it will rise to bigger levels.

It doesn't effect me in the least....
turn down work?...oh come now, if I'm open I'm there. The more KJ's/DJ's work the more I make...hope you can figure that out

#251614 - 12/20/08 10:31 PM Re: Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
Dnj Offline

http://tinyurl.com/6fg9ct

Please be careful out there..

#251615 - 12/21/08 07:37 AM Re: Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
turn down work?...oh come now, if I'm open I'm there.

Yep, the key word is OPEN! With the exception of a couple days, all of 2009 is already booked, and I have people asking for 2010 dates. I'm not going to perform doubles anymore (too damned old for that) and triples are out of the question. That kind of stuff is for young guys like Donny.

As for KJs and DJs providing me with more work, to some extent you're right. Most of them in this part of the world cannot read an audience, and their solution to an empty dancefloor is to crank up the volume and play hip hop or rap. I see this a lot at weddings. It's a technique that usually results in driving all but the teenage drunks out of the reception hall.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#251616 - 12/21/08 08:25 AM Re: Ho Ho Ho! Your on Stage live at Airport Karaoke!!
Dnj Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpmMLqk-FK4

Next time you try karaoke .....do this wonderful tune!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online