SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#25125 - 09/14/06 01:59 PM MIDI PROBLEMS WITH XP-60
Kenex Offline

Loc: Portland Oregon USA
Hi everyone. I am having some probems with getting my midi setup going.These are the pieces of equipment that need to be in sync or are being used:
1] Roland XP-60 Keyboard
2] Roland U-20 Keyboard
3] Roland U-110 Sound Module
4] Roland MC-500 Sequencer
5] Sonar 5PE
6] Fireface 800 [Does'nt need to be in sync...I think..only used as MIDI IN for SONAR 5PE ]

I am aware that some of the equipment above is ancient but I have some old sequences on the old stuff and some of the sounds on the U-20 are very good and I wish to use them. I have some sounds coming from the XP-60 and some from the other two sound sources which I will record on SONAR.

Here is what I want to do.

I want to play the sequence on the XP-60 and send the MIDI timing to the MC-500 Sequencer. I want the MC-500 to use its own version of the Sequence of the song DATA to send the note information to the U-110 sound module and the U-20 Keyboard. This of course must happen at the same time as the XP-60 [with its own version of the sequenced song ]is sending out its sounds to SONAR. Sonar will be fed the MIDI signal coming from the XP-60 through the MC-500 MIDI THROUGH port and then into the Fireface 800 MIDI IN port. I want them all locked up in sync so that I can record the XP-60s sounds on to SONAR and later or at the same time the U-20 and U-110s sounds as well...and I will add some more Keyboard drums later on too.
I hope this all makes sense.
I have got the XP-60 sending out MIDI to the MC-500 MIDI IN port and they work in SYNC....BUT...BUT...BUT...Heh heh.. I don't want the XP-60 to send out the musical NOTE DATA of the sequence to the MC-500 cause its messing things up badly....I only want the XP-60 to send the TIMING out to the MC-500 but still want the XP-60 to make sound of its own from its own sequenced DATA.

So here is my question in a nutshell....How do I send MIDI timing out of the XP-60 and into the MC-500 but NOT the actual sequenced song NOTE DATA while the XP-60 still plays its note DATA and produces its own sound?. Gees I hope someone can understand what I am saying here...cause I am really stuck and cannot find anything in the manual about it.

I have the XP-60 setup as the master. I do not know Sonar very well at the moment...or the fireface 800 for that matter. I am sending the MIDI out of the XP-60 and into the MC-500. The MC-500 has 1 MIDI IN and 2 MIDI outs and one MIDI through.
Thanks very much.
Ken

#25126 - 09/14/06 05:30 PM Re: MIDI PROBLEMS WITH XP-60
Kenex Offline

Loc: Portland Oregon USA
Hey!! I damn well sorted it out myself..
I switched the local switch parameter to OFF on the XP-60 and then switched off the receive MIDI stuff like PG CC CAF PAF on the MC-500 and BINGO. I am so thrilled.
I will still have to sort out the other parts like getting everything into SONAR and also the Fireface 800 but at least I am part of the way. Please if you have any advice please let me know what it is ok.
Thanks and
Cheers for now.
Ken

#25127 - 09/15/06 06:37 AM Re: MIDI PROBLEMS WITH XP-60
sonaroid Offline

Loc: Russia
So you have two sequences - one on XP60 and another on MC500 - and want them to play in sync?
If I were you, I would gather all midi tracks from both sequencers into Sonar first. Easiest way to do this is to save song as Standard MIDI File. I think both XP60 and MC500 can do it. You open MIDI file from XP in Sonar, and then simply drag and drop MC's file right into Sonar's track window.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online