SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#251095 - 12/16/08 07:43 PM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, guys. Wasn't trying to take it the wrong way...

It's just that Zuki has been the MOST ardent fanboy of the PA800 since the day he got it, works 25/8 on it, and has yet to illustrate a single point he has made with any music. Now, don't get me wrong, but if you have a work schedule THAT deep, for one thing, shyness can't be a factor And professionalism is pretty much a given.

So why post on thread after thread after thread about how great the PA800 is, without so much as ONE demo? I'm not looking to chop the guy down, I'd simply like some kind of reference to what he is saying... Talking about music is like dancing about mathematics - it doesn't convey anything substantive. It's ALL opinion without illustration. And I'm sorry, but everyones' opinion has EXACTLY the same weight (just about zero) without some kind of demonstration of it's position.

To me, something might be the best sounding thing in the world. To you, it might sound like a kazoo Unless I post something in audio form, how do you decide whether (in YOUR opinion) I'm right or wrong? By grammar? Or writing style?

Or how many emoticons I use?

I can't believe I'm agreeing Totally with Diki.... but on this post....,spot on !!

#251096 - 12/16/08 07:47 PM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
zuki Offline

-

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 12-16-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#251097 - 12/16/08 08:22 PM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Nick give me a break if you didn't know that was out of the box PA800 style arranger mode play....I dont know what to tell you mate ..seems you dont take criticism well either....but that's what you get posting on here.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-16-2008).]

Donny seriously what the F are you on about here?

"Nick give me a break if you didn't know that was out of the box PA800 style arranger mode play" is there a word missing here? i don't understand your point.

After recording and posting some quick demos all you could be bothered to say to me was "typical Korg sound left me wanting more".

I am honestly open to all constructive criticism so dont throw it back on me for being ignorant of your views on my music.

In a way I was not surprised that a comment like that came from DNJ, TYPICAL!

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 12-16-2008).]

#251098 - 12/16/08 08:54 PM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Um.....yeah.

Well I like what I heard of the Canon - nice arrangement - contemporary, but not too "cheap" or distracting in regards to a classical piece being updated.

Couldn't load the other one as Rapidshare told me I'd reached my Free-user Limit (!)

(Is there anything else we can all use to upload files?)

I really wanted to hear that trance one too....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#251099 - 12/17/08 04:34 AM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
If someone is posting to specifically illustrate a style or OS upgrade or some feature related to a keyboard, then we should critique that feature or style and not the quick-and-dirty performances that may be thrown together to illustrate same. Otherwise, no one will post, even for educational or informational purposes.

In Donny's defense, his response "I wasn't impressed at all with the sound of OS2 vs the previous OS....to me it's the typical Korg PA sound judging by this demo.
I enjoyed the songs & playing, but the empty overall sounding drums especialy the hallow snare left me wanting more unless they need some EQ'ing" was entirely appropriate. The instrument was critiqued, the player was actually complimented.

My advice; if you're the least bit thin-skinned, DON'T POST.

chas

#251100 - 12/17/08 05:28 AM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
Nick G Online   content

Chas,

fair call, i may be being harsh on Donny.

no one likes to hear negative feedback on a performance, i am happy for it to comemy way but please be civil about it.

To be honest i was pretty proud of what i made on the PA800 and i was hoping for more positive feedback from other peeple.(i dont want to sound cocky) but at the same time i thank the people who have responded, i much appreciate it.

having owned a lot of keyboards of different brands i really beleive the Korg sound is a live punchy sound. i prefer it over Yamaha personally and to my ears it sounds great! its definitely the sound i have been looking for in all the keyboards i have previously owned.

another long story i dont want to dig up again but after all the crap that went on over the past few weeks i have completely lost all credability for Donny's opinion and "knowledge" of keybaords and sound.

if anyone else said the drums sounded hollow or something then yeah great, ide get to work and try to improve as ide take their opnions into mind, but the fact that it came from Donny just really bothered me.

Of coarse some people are never going to like what they hear and i am sure there are more than just Donny. I have had about 77 downloads of the Canon piece so obviously people are holding their comments to themselves. this is natural i am not holding a gun to anyones head. im just saying, heres some work i have done, have a listen, if you like it great, if u dont, thats fine, u can tell me what your thinking but obviously keep it civil and within reason?

Maybe its just Donny's wording which made his comment sound more harsh, as I have always beleived, the internet is evil in this sense. it makes people sound more blunt and direct without showing facial punctuation and emotion.

Nick

#251101 - 12/17/08 07:06 AM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:

no one likes to hear negative feedback on a performance

Depends on what your motives are when you post. I occasionally send Diki something for what I know will be an honest assessment. It usually has something to do with a (synth) voice or harmonizer use or recording technique, but they're always something I respect his knowledge about; AND I know I'll get an honest answer. For instance, I can tell you that he is no fan of Korg saxes (or pianos) but does really like Yammy guitars. That's okay. I personally liked the Korg sax but when he pointed out the how Korg was unable to articulate the sax voice in an authentic way, I learned something valuable and even tried harder to adjust my playing technique to accommodate this deficiency. Perhaps this is the way you should treat what you view as 'negative' criticism. Since nothing is perfect, there is always something to criticize.

Quote:
To be honest i was pretty proud of what i made on the PA800 and i was hoping for more positive feedback [/B]

Big mistake. I'd change that to "hoping for more OBJECTIVE feedback". Having everyone agree with your assessment of your own work has zero value.

Quote:
another long story i dont want to dig up again but after all the crap that went on over the past few weeks i have completely lost all credibility for Donny's opinion and "knowledge" of keyboards and sound. [/B]

Don't mistake Donny's buying habits with a lack of knowledge about keyboards. He's probably had more real-life experience with a wider variety of keyboards, especially arranger keyboards, than anyone on this board. His habit of 'praising, then trading' may be annoying, but it would be a stretch to say that he has no credibility. He is, after all, one of the few full-time working pro's on this board with many years of experience.

Quote:
Of coarse some people are never going to like what they hear [/B]

....and that's something to keep in mind when analyzing their feedback. If you think that a response is from this type of person, chuck it and move on to the next one. If Monk had listened to all the criticism of his playing, we'd probably never have experienced the haunting beauty of 'round midnight.

Keep on posting.

chas

#251102 - 12/17/08 07:37 AM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Goodmorning Nick...Thank You So much for posting Your OS-2 Demo!...I've been wanting to Hear something other than Demo's From the Korg Site,etc....Your Music Cannon was Beautiful. You Play with Great Expression of the Music and from the Heart. Otherwords You can feel the Music!...That is a Gift.

First I played the song just through my smaller monitors...I know the Korg is a "Live" Keyboard so I grabbed My Stereo Headphones plugged them in and did a retake. WOW.... what a difference...Brought it to life!!!!!...(As much as possible with your recording methods)...If I have time soon I'll get My large near field monitors in order with the computer use.(Got them for everything else!....

Thanks again Nick, Personally, I think the Korg Boards are really Inviting. There are quite a few really Great Keyboards out there at this time!...Good Luck with Your Music Endeavors. Would Love to Hear More!...Have a Great Day...Harold

#251103 - 12/17/08 02:51 PM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nick,
Nice work..I enjoyed them both..
By the way which PA1 style did you start with..on the trance? I have a PA2 , but also have all of the PA1 styles. I really like the style you came up with for the trance.

Thanks,
Lee

#251104 - 12/17/08 03:14 PM Re: some Korg PA 800 OS2.0 recordings
Nick G Online   content

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Nick,
Nice work..I enjoyed them both..
By the way which PA1 style did you start with..on the trance? I have a PA2 , but also have all of the PA1 styles. I really like the style you came up with for the trance.

Thanks,
Lee

Lee and Harold - thanks for the feedback. much appreciated!

Lee - to be honest now i cant remember where i got that style from. all i know its called "Dream" and i was pretty sure it came from a PA80 or PA1x style set. But like I mentioned i did a bit of editing and had to swap drum kits to get that nice punchy sound.

Of all keyboards i have ever owned, this is definitely my most favorite dance/trance style yet! it just works with everything...

Squeak - the build quality of the PA 800 is pretty good. the fact that its plastic obviously makes it 'weaker' than a metal keyboard liek the motif, but it still seems very sturdy and well put together.

i remember the tyros 2 and the psr3000, u could literally twist the keyboard with your bare hands and u would hear it creak. this does not happen with the PA, its a much more firmer build...

the buttons feel just as good as the Motif did, the sliders are also very good. they are a little but smaller than the motif sliders but still nice n sturdy. i remember playing on an MM6 or a Juno D(i think it was Juno D or G) and those sliders felt like toys.

As i have said before i think the PA 800 is ugly as but it is still a well built keyboard... the onboard speakers are surprisingly alot better than i expected too.

I run my PA 800 through a Logitech Z3200 THX speaker setup and they really bring the keyboard alive!

I will be posting some more demos soon.

after owning a Motif synth for so long, going back to an arranger is a learning curve again. i basically need to re learn most of the chords for the songs i use to play as well as all the style changes, fills, track mutes, un mutes etc etc.

Nick

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online