SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#249986 - 11/30/08 03:31 PM Where are your Registrations/Presets
newman Offline

The registration section had a central location on all of my previous boards and was easily accessed.
I'm now realising with my Tyros 3 just how much I use my left hand for changing registrations (about 80-90%) and what a pain it is having them on the RH side of the board on this model.

Where are yours?

I'm curious about the location of such an important section on other boards and peoples experience using them.

Thanks,
Chris

#249987 - 11/30/08 03:40 PM Re: Where are your Registrations/Presets
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use my right hand to change sounds, so either position for registrations is fine by me.

My left is already busy enough with changing chords, style variations, and the pitch bend wheel.

I also prefer the Multipad controls on the right side(they are on the left on the T3)so I like the S900's layout a bit better.

Ian

#249988 - 11/30/08 07:17 PM Re: Where are your Registrations/Presets
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
The STS's are in the middle under the screen on my PA2XPRO, and the PADS are on the right..works nicely. Master, balance, and 9 assignable sliders are on the upper left and works well too.

For me anyways.

I also like the layout on the T2.

When you watch demos of folks playing the T3 they (some) seem to be reaching way over to the right with their left hand to: 1) use the STS 2) use the DSP button. I don't have a T3 yet...but that bothers me a lot.

Lee

#249989 - 11/30/08 08:22 PM Re: Where are your Registrations/Presets
newman Offline

That's exactly what I'm finding I'm stretching right across to get'em.

It could be me I guess as I'm left handed.
I'd be interested to know how other lefties and righties for that matter, find the repositioned Registration section on the T3.

I like the idea of Reg. in the middle, Pads on the right and sliders to the left.

Apart from using organ flutes I find I only use the sliders for a quick adjustment to the balance or so, but I'm using the Registrations all the time and it's becoming a real pain.
I know I can assign Reg. changes to a pedal.
But I'll end up needing a 32 note pedal board just to handle all the assignments.http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/icons/icon7.gif

Chris.

#249990 - 11/30/08 08:27 PM Re: Where are your Registrations/Presets
newman Offline

Hey, how come my smiley thingo didn't work?

Woops... I think I just found out why

#249991 - 11/30/08 10:45 PM Re: Where are your Registrations/Presets
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What are you using the registrations for? To change styles mid-song? To change sounds mid-song? To change keyboard layout mid-song?

(I'm presuming mid-song, because what does it matter if you are not playing? )

Way I figure it, you can use registrations (UPG in Rolandspeak) for so many different things, especially in combination with the HOLD parameters, that there really is NO one 'best place'. Some things are better on the left, some on the right, some in the middle. All on the same arranger!

#249992 - 12/01/08 01:03 AM Re: Where are your Registrations/Presets
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi everyone:

I use registrations ALL the time, this allow me to make MANY changes with only one button.
I got used to the different registration locations, since I am a former organist, I used the Yamaha HX. HS, EL (Plus other brands that I Demoed for some other manufacturers). Even in the older days, the Hammond X66, B3 registration/presets in different places.

Is evident that many of us have many different ways on using the arrangers, and some may be unaware that most arrangers have some similar features on other brands and models.

The Yamaha arrangers have the Hold for the style and you can change registrations at anytime, anywhere in the song, I find that very useful, when I perform at dances that have ¨Mixers¨, basically a foxtrots medley that last 8-10 minutes.

In the Korg arrangers when you use ¨Performance¨a.k.a registrations, have a ¨Change" style button and also a Tempo hold, so, if you change Performance with a different style, will keep the same tempo.

Ketron has the tempo hold by pressing both tempo controls <>at the same time, this will make an * next to the style in the main window screen, so you know is engaged.

------------------
mdorantes

#249993 - 12/01/08 08:43 AM Re: Where are your Registrations/Presets
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Depending upon how you set up your registrations, you can actually step through them using a foot pedal, thereby leaving both hands free. In my case, I set up a single registration for each song, and the only changes I use during a performance is the various voices that are linked to the OTS via the variations.

Hope this helps solve your problem,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#249994 - 12/01/08 09:07 AM Re: Where are your Registrations/Presets
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
The STS's are in the middle under the screen on my PA2XPRO, and the PADS are on the right..works nicely. Master, balance, and 9 assignable sliders are on the upper left and works well too.

For me anyways.

I also like the layout on the T2.

When you watch demos of folks playing the T3 they (some) seem to be reaching way over to the right with their left hand to: 1) use the STS 2) use the DSP button. I don't have a T3 yet...but that bothers me a lot.

Lee

I too like the layout on the Pa2xPro. When I demoed the T3, that was a bit of a caveat i.e. where the registrations buttons are located. But since I opted for an s900, that's not a problem. As Gary stated you can always set up a pedal to advance the registrations using the one song per registration.

#249995 - 12/01/08 09:34 AM Re: Where are your Registrations/Presets
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
On my kn6000 the Panel Memories (registrations) are on the right side, easy accessible ...
I use them to change voices, styles (latin to swing for example) and in some cases, I've put a 'string' of styles in the PMs to facilitate playing a 'medley' of tunes using different styles, voices, etc.

t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online