SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#249841 - 11/29/08 02:10 PM Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Dnj Offline

THought I'd start a new Topic here for this.

#249842 - 11/29/08 05:04 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
zuki Offline

Embarrased to say I've had no time to get this done. When I transfer my Christmas tunes to my road board, I'll do it then - next week.

Is it OK to load in the OS2 and be able to save all the files that are currently loaded in the board

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#249843 - 11/29/08 05:59 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny,
Thanks for asking....
In my case pretty darn good.
I am having a good time wth DNC sounds and have figured out most of what makes them tick...very flexable and capable system. I have not made my own sound using the DNC yet, but I will.

Also, believe it or not, I have just lately been discovering the SUPERB PADS. I have used them in the past WITH styles...but have discoverd how great they are on thier own! They have some real nice, fairly simple accomapyments to play to WITHOUT even turning the style on.

The new styles (26 of them) are very nice as well and I am trying tem in different songs.

I have to order a Korg EC-5 so I can use foot pedals with the DNC sounds to make it nicer to play. The DNC sounds however do have nice functions by just legato vs stacato.

There has been a few issues reported by a few people, and Korg is on it, getting any symptoms so they can fix them quickly.

I think the biggest issue is the use of user drum kits that use factory sounds. There is a workaround, but I know Korg is woring on a better solution. I (like most)don't have any so it does not effect me.

My keyboard is playing just fine with OS2.

Of course we are still identifying and requesting solutions to a few minor things of which most were there for a long time.

Meanwhile, I am having fun with all the nice PADS, and have made my own piano arpeggio sequence on a PAD. Is was very easy.

Lee

#249844 - 11/29/08 06:06 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Zuki,
you're missing out on some great voices & some brand new styles.
I did a "save all" , plus I did save's of, pads, styles etc & well as a backup of my board before I installed . I wasn't taking any chances losing my files.
You have to load the new operating system as well as the new resources, so it will wipe your existing stuff. You just have to load your stuff back in after the upgrade.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Embarrased to say I've had no time to get this done. When I transfer my Christmas tunes to my road board, I'll do it then - next week.

Is it OK to load in the OS2 and be able to save all the files that are currently loaded in the board

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-29-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#249845 - 11/29/08 06:10 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Lee,

Glad to hear the new OS is working for you.

On the Yamaha pads there is no "on bass" chord recognition...the pad always plays the root regardless of the chord inversion being played.

In other words, slash chords aren't recognized..e.g. C/G or Dm/G or F/A etc.

Will the Korg pads recognize "on bass" or bass inversion?

Ian

#249846 - 11/29/08 06:37 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Lee,
if you're really enjoying your pads, have you considered turning some of those great guitar mode tracks into a pad.

Didn't realize you didn't have the EC5 board. You won't know yourself, it's so handy.

If I understood the thread correctly on the issue of the user drumkits, the problem appears to be arising from drumkits that were created on the "PA80 keyboards??" and the kits have never been saved on a PA800/PA2X.
I'm guessing that's why some users are having problems & others not. PA800 user kits, no problem wheras PA80 kits you have to individually save on your PA800/Pa2x before doing the upgrade. Then apparently they'll work.
Anyway, that's how I understood it.
Hasn't affected me either.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by leeboy:
[B]

Also, believe it or not, I have just lately been discovering the SUPERB PADS. I have used them in the past WITH styles...but have discoverd how great they are on thier own! They have some real nice, fairly simple accomapyments to play to WITHOUT even turning the style on.

I have to order a Korg EC-5 so I can use foot pedals with the DNC sounds to make it nicer to play. The DNC sounds however do have nice functions by just legato vs stacato.

I think the biggest issue is the use of user drum kits that use factory sounds. There is a workaround, but I know Korg is woring on a better solution. I (like most)don't have any so it does not effect me.

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-29-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#249847 - 11/29/08 06:59 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
OS 2.0 on the Korg is wonderful. I have just been putting my Christmas program together and the Jazz/ Big Band Styles and Performance sound sets are just wonderful.
Wow!
They have definitely done something with all the styles, because I am hearing stuff that never came through before.
In the current economy I could not consider a new keyboard, so this is a real gift!
Graham

#249848 - 11/29/08 06:59 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Donny,
luv the new voices, very happy to have some new styles, especially latin & the 2 new orchestral styles.
We got a couple of updated functions that's going to make style editing a bit quicker.
The new Cue function for variations is very handy & probably going to make users of song based styles particularly happy.

The other biggy is Notation & Text.

Notation I'll possibly find handy as I sometimes import a style part into the PA800 sequencer for additional editing that can't be done in the style creation editor itself.
I like being able to see notes.
My upgrade is working well.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
THought I'd start a new Topic here for this.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#249849 - 11/29/08 10:00 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Dnj Offline

I would say Korg really hit the mark on OS2..especially for free, everyone seems to love it so far.

Good Luck !!

#249850 - 11/30/08 04:08 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Bachus Offline

Any good video's showing this OS2 ?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#249851 - 11/30/08 04:47 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
...... believe it or not, I have just lately been discovering the SUPERB PADS. I have used them in the past WITH styles...but have discoverd how great they are on thier own! They have some real nice, fairly simple accomapyments to play to WITHOUT even turning the style on...

Technics also added this feature to the KN's ages ago, it's just great.
Korg really start tempt me, unforantely it's not any items near by to
take a closer look at, also just a few "webshops" have it in stock in
this country....

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#249852 - 11/30/08 08:18 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
2.0 has been a very positive experience for me!! I really like having the ability to change the balance slider to Song/Style volume!! DNC sounds terrific! To my ears "Everything sounds better! The Bari Sax has been improved, as well as others.

#249853 - 11/30/08 07:44 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
leeboy Offline

Rikki,
Great idea...I will check out some guitar tracks and copy them to pads!

I will get a EC5 or mayne a Beringher FC10 ( I think it is) as Rob uses one and the have 10 switches (could use a EC5 AND a FC10)
Soon.

Yes, the way I understand it. the problem only a very few have had relates to older PA80 user defined drum kits that use factory sounds. Does not effect me.

I'll let you know about how the pads from guitar tracks works.

The pads on the PA is a real sleeper capabilty.

Lee

#249854 - 12/01/08 01:26 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Lee ,
sorry, my reply might have been a bit ambiguous.
I did actually try converting Guitar Mode style tracks to Pads a while back, & they worked really well.

Since the upgrade, we've possibly got even more of them to choose from.

I got so involved with the style creator, doing pads went bye the bye.

I've got a few floating around that I did early on in the piece, including some jingling xmas bell loops.
If of any use, you're welcome to them.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Rikki,

I'll let you know about how the pads from guitar tracks works.
Lee

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#249855 - 12/01/08 01:33 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

The pads on the PA is a real sleeper capabilty.

Lee

Lee...will the pads play "on bass" or slash chords?

#249856 - 12/01/08 08:19 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
leeboy Offline

Ian,
Give me a specific example and I will test it.
Lee

#249857 - 12/01/08 08:21 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
leeboy Offline

Rikki,
Yes, thanks very much I would like to have them to play...and to lern from.

Jingling xmas bell loops...sounds cool!

Lee

#249858 - 12/01/08 08:29 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
zuki Offline

I tried guitars and piano pads and they DO NOT play fingered on bass...never thought about it, but would be a nice feature.

The OS is very nice. The #1 intro arrangement on 2.0 Orchestral Ballad will make you wet your pants! Sounds like something from Phanom of the Opera.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#249859 - 12/01/08 10:34 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
Any good video's showing this OS2 ?

yes, how about making a short video like that guys? pa800 users, why don't you post maybe an youtube vid presenting a little bit about it?

and once again, are there some nice pop arrangements made by pa800? something new that i didn't see/hear yet (iswebster user on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSPqiazoTx4 )...

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 12-01-2008).]

#249860 - 12/02/08 02:09 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I tried guitars and piano pads and they DO NOT play fingered on bass...never thought about it, but would be a nice feature.

Thanks Zuki. Yamaha pads do not play them either...it would be nice if they would.

Sometimes they will clash with on bass chords.

Ian

#249861 - 12/04/08 09:34 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
kimbol Offline

Loc: Toronto,Canada
Hi members, I am using the pads for the very first time. Can anyone instruct me.Ihave tried to use the pad function with no success.I press on pads then the 4 pad types show up and then i press salsa piano and nothing happens? Help please.

P.S. Rikki could you please send me your jazz / bigband /and latin styles that you sent to nick.I believe these are converted styles for korg pa800. Much appreciated.My E-mail is kimbol@can.rogers.com
Thanks, John

#249862 - 12/04/08 07:11 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
zuki Offline

John - do this:

1. Keep your display page ON
2. Go the pads as they show up on the screen
3. press pad 1 (for example)
4. choose a pad sound
5. play pad 1 and you should have what you chose
6. you must save the pads in the songbook, or they'll revert back to the default ones.

extremely easy.

also - you can change volumes, pans, etc in the menu button under pads.

if you have two pads playing at the same time and want to cancel just one, hold down the pad button and the one you want to cancel.

good luck

#249863 - 12/04/08 08:18 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
leeboy Offline

Zuki,
Yep. that orchetral ballad is really neat!
Now I'm enthused to do some of my own...and Andrew LLoyde Webber's stuff is what I love.

Lee

#249864 - 12/05/08 10:53 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
kimbol Offline

Hi Zuki;
Thanks for your reply.I must be doing something wrong or my Pa800 is screwed up.I followed your instructions and there is nothing happening at all!!I press on pads then press the pad sound i want and then i play the keys and Nothing is happening( No Sound !!)What do you think may be wrong? I have checked everything out on the new operating system and everything seems fine except the pad function.It must be me but What?I have never used this function before ,but i have read that it is quite a useful function espically if i want a good accompaniment to my right hand playing. Help!!!!!

John

#249865 - 12/05/08 03:55 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
zuki Offline

John,

When you bring up the pads...

Are you hitting the pad keys? And nothing happens?

Check your pad volumes through the menu button under pads. That will show you what the vol, pans, etc. are.

Are you in style mode?

Something is not right...should work fine.

#249866 - 12/06/08 02:17 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
leeboy Offline

John,
The only way to get pads to play is press Pad1, Pad2. Pad3 or Pad4...they do not play with the keys.
Lee

#249867 - 12/07/08 06:00 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Dnj Offline

Ok so is OS2 a vast improvement?....is there still more to be accomplished in OS3 down the road if at all either FREE or for a price?

#249868 - 12/07/08 07:22 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
IMHO there is not much improvement with OS-2.0. They included a lot of toys that most gigging musicians will find useless. I was personally hoping for a refined effects section with at least 6 or 7 independent DSP's, but Korg seems to be slightly behind the competition in quality of DSP's, as well as quantity. Furthermore, the useless quarter tone user scales should have been designed in the same way as on Korg Triton. Believe it or not, many arranger players world wide lug the triton around just because of the user scales. Another improvement could have been made with the BRASS section. I think that the trumpets and brass are weak in general.

Finally, OS 2.0 should have included optional keybed replacement for the pa800, and a user friendly software editor for easier organization and merging of SET's, styles etc.

Let's see what OS 3.0 looks like!

[This message has been edited by hitman (edited 12-07-2008).]

#249869 - 12/07/08 07:31 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Dnj Offline

Hitman thanks for the very informative & honest reply its appreciated. Hopefully there will be someday be a OS3 that is created with player INPUT & not a totally new Model leaving PA users behind.

What bothers me about Korg PA arrangers is their OS Folder system.....there are just too many steps involved to load files, juggle, delete, etc.. or just try out one styles, everything is in SETS Argggggg!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-07-2008).]

#249870 - 12/07/08 08:14 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
IMHO there is not much improvement with OS-2.0. They included a lot of toys that most gigging musicians will find useless. I was personally hoping for a refined effects section with at least 6 or 7 independent DSP's, but Korg seems to be slightly behind the competition in quality of DSP's, as well as quantity. Furthermore, the useless quarter tone user scales should have been designed in the same way as on Korg Triton. Believe it or not, many arranger players world wide lug the triton around just because of the user scales. Another improvement could have been made with the BRASS section. I think that the trumpets and brass are weak in general.

Finally, OS 2.0 should have included optional keybed replacement for the pa800, and a user friendly software editor for easier organization and merging of SET's, styles etc.

Yikes! Do you even LIKE this amazing keyboard? It sounds like you are not happy with it. I, on the other hand - LOVE mine, and have never sounded better. The fixes in 1.6 were more important to me than this current upgrade, but I haven't road tested it yet. It works too well to think I'm missing anything.

While the FX section is harder to buddy up to than some, I think the sound and quality is top notch. There is still no one that beats the harmonizer. On board or out.

#249871 - 12/07/08 09:01 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I haven’t upgraded … yet. I’m wary about doing it before the holiday gig season is over. I have to agree with Uncle Dave, and it’s working very well - for me - the way it is. But, I will upgrade after the holidays.
Ciao,
Jerry

#249872 - 12/07/08 09:20 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Has there ever been a keyboard that has had an option to change the keybed to a better quality one??

what an awesome idea! I would be happy to pay for something like this if it were reasonable

#249873 - 12/08/08 10:58 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
hitman Offline

Don't get me wrong guys, the PA800 is a fine instrument. It has the most powerful sound editing section of any arranger currently sold. But, considering cheap prices of components such as RAM, the PA800 should have had at least 1GB of DDR2. This is where KORG srewed up big time! It also should have had the KEYBED from the PA1X, as well as more DSP's. NO EXCUSES!

I base all my opinions on facts and comparisons, and by no means on LOVE towards a brand or instrument.

Still, the OS-2.0 is a nice gift to the home-user of the PA800.

Remember, Keyboards are just bunch of plastic and metal neatly integrated to process data! Nothing MORE!

[This message has been edited by hitman (edited 12-08-2008).]

#249874 - 12/08/08 11:16 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Remember, Keyboards are just bunch of plastic and metal neatly integrated to process audio data! Nothing MORE!

I thought they made coffee and woke you up in the morning too. Seriously, they also process midi data which, in the end, produces sound through the outputs. Other audio data (excluding the ROM) would be if the keyboard had the ability to load, record, and/or play, audio samples i.e. .wav, .mp3, Akai, etc. But you're right, they're main purpose is to produce "sound" which is what I think you meant.

Best,
Mike

#249875 - 12/08/08 12:17 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Yikes! Do you even LIKE this amazing keyboard? It sounds like you are not happy with it. I, on the other hand - LOVE mine, and have never sounded better. The fixes in 1.6 were more important to me than this current upgrade, but I haven't road tested it yet. It works too well to think I'm missing anything.

While the FX section is harder to buddy up to than some, I think the sound and quality is top notch. There is still no one that beats the harmonizer. On board or out.

I think you need to be taught a lesson..

Bring that PA800 over here..and we will do an "old fashion" comparison...like in "olden days"..

What happened to the old Uncle Dave...when touch {key feel} made a difference...and was a big part of how the sound came through...

And you really need a better experience in comparison of the recent harmonizers...BRING IT ON!!!!

PS: Did Tony call you.....yet?

#249876 - 12/08/08 12:22 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Dnj Offline

WOW!! this should be interesting!!!

#249877 - 12/08/08 01:01 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
the PA800 should have had at least 1GB of DDR2.

Have you calculated how long that would take to load?

Huge RAM is of no use unless it loads up fast enough to be practical. Nothing short of computer based keyboards loads fast enough, IMO, to be of any use at all except in a studio situation, where you could keep it switched on and loaded permanently.

You REALLY want to have to wait 45 min to an hour or more before you can play?

#249878 - 12/08/08 05:07 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi John,
sorry didn't spot your post.
Been tied up getting ready for Xmas.
Got 14 people staying, so it's been a bit hectic getting organized.
Just sent them thru, so let me know if there's a problem.
Unzip folder, & load them into empty favourite or user slots. Individually might be best. You can do that by keeping pressing open till you get to the individual style. They're not conversions, just stuff I've collected.
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by kimbol:

P.S. Rikki could you please send me your jazz / bigband /and latin styles that you sent to nick.I believe these are converted styles for korg pa800. Much appreciated.My E-mail is kimbol@can.rogers.com
Thanks, John

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#249879 - 12/08/08 05:30 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
hitman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Have you calculated how long that would take to load?
You REALLY want to have to wait 45 min to an hour or more before you can play?

@DIKI,
the load times depend on the quality of components ( RAM, HD..). To load 1GB of samples should take about 15 minutes! That is currently the case with a Tyros 2 that has quality RAM and HD installed.

In this day and age, 1GB of samples does not represent more than 4 or 5 different instruments!

Greetings from Virginia!

#249880 - 12/08/08 07:44 PM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
kimbol Offline

Hi Rikki;
Thank you for sending over the styles.Looking forward to trying them out!!!

All The best. John.

#249881 - 12/09/08 09:52 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
@DIKI,
the load times depend on the quality of components ( RAM, HD..). To load 1GB of samples should take about 15 minutes! That is currently the case with a Tyros 2 that has quality RAM and HD installed.

In this day and age, 1GB of samples does not represent more than 4 or 5 different instruments!

Is any of this your personal experience, or is this just conjecture: "To load 1GB of samples should take about 15 minutes" Because we have tried this in the past, and it is nowhere NEAR that figure (closer to an hour). The HD might have a LITTLE to do with it (at least over a flash card or USB connection) but the RAM either works or doesn't. There is no such thing a 'faster' RAM in an arranger context. And a HD that delivers the file faster than the machine can load it is pointless, too.

My K2500 loads at 1MB/sec. From a 5400rpm drive. A 7200rpm drive doesn't load it any faster. That's the speed of the RAM pipeline.

C.mon... does anyone here have REAL WORLD figures (not conjecture based on advertising copy) on an entire GB of a load for ANY contemporary arranger? It's easy. Make a 1GB .wav file, put it on your arrangers HD (time that, too, from the computer!). Now load it into the sampler. Start your watch. Make a pot of tea.... Watch a movie.... Start a family....

How are the grandkids?

#249882 - 12/09/08 11:58 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
hitman Offline

My statement is based on personal experience with a keyboard that belongs to a friend of mine. RAM in this case is manufactured by Kingston and not the cheap E-bay stuff !

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online