SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#249881 - 12/09/08 09:52 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
@DIKI,
the load times depend on the quality of components ( RAM, HD..). To load 1GB of samples should take about 15 minutes! That is currently the case with a Tyros 2 that has quality RAM and HD installed.

In this day and age, 1GB of samples does not represent more than 4 or 5 different instruments!

Is any of this your personal experience, or is this just conjecture: "To load 1GB of samples should take about 15 minutes" Because we have tried this in the past, and it is nowhere NEAR that figure (closer to an hour). The HD might have a LITTLE to do with it (at least over a flash card or USB connection) but the RAM either works or doesn't. There is no such thing a 'faster' RAM in an arranger context. And a HD that delivers the file faster than the machine can load it is pointless, too.

My K2500 loads at 1MB/sec. From a 5400rpm drive. A 7200rpm drive doesn't load it any faster. That's the speed of the RAM pipeline.

C.mon... does anyone here have REAL WORLD figures (not conjecture based on advertising copy) on an entire GB of a load for ANY contemporary arranger? It's easy. Make a 1GB .wav file, put it on your arrangers HD (time that, too, from the computer!). Now load it into the sampler. Start your watch. Make a pot of tea.... Watch a movie.... Start a family....

How are the grandkids?

#249882 - 12/09/08 11:58 AM Re: Zuki & Korg Pa owners how is NEW OS 2 working out for you so far?
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
My statement is based on personal experience with a keyboard that belongs to a friend of mine. RAM in this case is manufactured by Kingston and not the cheap E-bay stuff !

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online