SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#249646 - 12/12/08 02:42 PM Re: Tyros 3 Live sound vs recorded sound
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
If everyone loves the tweeked demo sounds made by rep's from Yamaha, shouldn't Yamaha just use them, rather than the default out of the box sounds?

I don't think there is any evidence that Yamaha are using some special magic tweaks capable of turning alleged OOTB banality into something that's "out of this world"
If you look at Michel Voncken's EQ settings they are quite modest, and are seemingly designed as genuine tweaks to give the final sheen to an otherwise "OK" setup as Diki has inferred before.

Similarly the fact that the Ty3 selectable master setups for EQ and Compressor - eg. if you are using MS02 speakers - are also very modest, suggest the same, ie. that Yamaha are not expecting to turn the sound from sow's ear (if that's what it is to some people)to silk purse just through use of their master setting tweaks.
I'm no expert in sound but I am aware of the laws of physics. Isn't it true to say that if speakers are giving inferior performance because they lack resolution you are not going to force them to change their character through modest use of EQ or even bucket loads of EQ offsets?
What you do get is a significant increase in volume - and many Ty3 users have reported back that their keyboard came alive after they turned up the total EQ adjustment, meaning they could now use 50% master volume rather than turning the knob up all the way, but this must still be a quality compromise compared with using better speakers in the first place?
My own feeling is that when Yamaha do public demos they use good quality speakers with all the amplification they need, in rooms/halls where generally the acoustic properties are no big deal, being known from experience and compensated for where necessary by standard tweaks- nothing special or magical IMO but leading to some suspicion perhaps because we don't really KNOW what they are using!
Where Yamaha make top quality recordings from line outs a lot of these potential problems are bypassed anyway.
Contrast that with a home user scenario where things can be complicated by less than adequate speakers/amplification (which can be an issue) and in the extreme, living rooms full of carpets, soft furniture, heavy curtains and so on, all working to create a challenge in getting the "best" sounds out of the keyboard.

What can be frustrating about all this is that Yamaha say Ty3 is all about the sound. Yet once again they leave it to users to occasionally find things wanting and then somehow sort out the problem for themselves.
Which then leads to various speculative debates on forums, but the trouble is such debates don't seem to help set the priorities for Companies' actions.
And yet the issues are so fundamental to getting the best potential and enjoyment from a keyboard that it does seems remiss that Yamaha have not put out their own techical views and guidance on the subject. That would take much of the speculation out of it - including mine

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 12-12-2008).]

#249647 - 12/12/08 02:51 PM Re: Tyros 3 Live sound vs recorded sound
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The fact is that few, if any, here at SZ are players of the caliber of Yamaha's demonstrators.

And few, if any, of us here are programmers of the caliber that Yamaha use.

And few, if any, of us here are sound engineers of the caliber that Yamaha use.

And few, if any, of us here have PA's and live sound engineers of the caliber that Yamaha use.

But, mysteriously, everybody EXPECTS to sound as good as the Yamaha demos...

What are you guys smoking?

#249648 - 12/12/08 04:41 PM Re: Tyros 3 Live sound vs recorded sound
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Sometimes I have to agree with you DIKI!!!

#249649 - 12/14/08 07:01 AM Re: Tyros 3 Live sound vs recorded sound
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Sometimes I have to disagree with you Diki

I'm not sure how you know that most of us don't sound as good as the demo's?

Plus I disagree with the premise that the demo's are actually great. Most of the players I've heard on this forum sound just as good, if not better than the souped up factory demo's.

------------------
Larry
The NEW SynthZone Map

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 12-14-2008).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#249650 - 12/14/08 03:48 PM Re: Tyros 3 Live sound vs recorded sound
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Because people are commenting that very thing, Larry.

I didn't mean MOST, just those commenting. Whether that is most or not, I don't know. Just that it IS the topic of this thread...

Why not disagree with THEM, Larry? Oh, yeah, I remember... Far more fun to disagree with me, isn't it?

#249651 - 12/14/08 05:38 PM Re: Tyros 3 Live sound vs recorded sound
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
HOw many people buy into advertising that uses the word "virtually"

A word which legally allows advertisers to lie with every word that follows the word "virtually".

Would you get on a plane that is advertised as "Virtually able to arrive at it's destination safely"?

Advertising == Hyperbole...painting lipstick on Pigs, Thats it's purpose.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online