SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#249221 - 11/24/08 07:01 PM One Armed AK Player... Ideas?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I'll be a one armed entertainer after the first of the year due to upcoming shoulder surgery. With my left arm out of commission for at least 3-4 months, and gigs lined up, arranger mode will be out of the question. I've decided on going with mp3s and will be creating a few hundred songs, minus RH playing, into mp3 songs over the next few weeks.

What I haven't decided is what equipment I'll need. I usually play the SD5, but with limited lifting, something lighter will be needed. Two thoughts I've come up with:

1. The new Roland GW-8 - 13 lbs, mp3 playback, playlists, inexpensive... not bad... and leaning in this direction.

2. Roland E09 - 16 lbs and even less expensive. Combined with one of the new mini laptops for Winamp plus lyrics mp3 playback.

I haven't heard either of these boards, but I'm only in need of some nice RH voices. I believe neither has mic or aux inputs.

A third option would be a midjay plus light-weight controller. I understand the midjay lyric display is difficult, however. And this would be the most costly option for something that may last for only 6 - 12 months (hopefully).

An important criteria is playlist creation plus quick song selection from a 200 - 300 song list. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Glenn

#249222 - 11/24/08 07:19 PM Re: One Armed AK Player... Ideas?
Dnj Offline

Glenn....Laptop....Mic......PA

get well soon

#249223 - 11/25/08 04:27 AM Re: One Armed AK Player... Ideas?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
What Donny said....

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#249224 - 11/25/08 06:05 AM Re: One Armed AK Player... Ideas?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Glenn, in addition to the properly set up laptop suggestion..why not just add a light weight 61 key controller (10 pounds), and yes the GW-8 could handle this job too...Load up a VST soft synth, and play over your sequences or MP3's....and still be able to handle your one handed "happy birthday" request...

Check out MixCraft4...it will also give you decent selection of soft synths and the hosting to play in real time (under $100)..It is also a great recording soft ware...

#249225 - 11/25/08 07:23 AM Re: One Armed AK Player... Ideas?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The Ketron Midjay and a light-weight keyboard controller would do a great job. Particularly since you could get more or less the same sounds you have now.
DonM

#249226 - 11/25/08 07:35 AM Re: One Armed AK Player... Ideas?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
All of the above advice will work. Go with the lightest gear you can, and don't take chances and injure your good arm.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online