SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#247847 - 11/11/08 08:05 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Touchscreens large or small...no tactile feedback...no raised or delineated areas...may as well be pressing on a piece of paper.

Expensive to replace.

I'm glad the Tyros1/2/3 and S-series don't have them.

Ian

#247848 - 11/11/08 08:18 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Dnj Offline

Roland's touchscreen is the so awesome .....I just love it BIG TIME...there is nothing better out there on an arranger..

#247849 - 11/11/08 08:44 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Whether you like them or not, touch screens are a great implementation for manufacturers because they do not require a physical implementation to trigger a feature. Meaning, the Operating system can be written with any kind of functionality AFTER the board is produced and assembled regardless of the tactile or physical buttons/knobs/sliders physically present on the board.

This is what enables a few manufacturers to deliver new features with Operating system releases.

JMTC
Al

Touch screen technology is the same as switched except they rely on horizontal vertical capacitance intetersections to switch a functions that can be switched with a physical switch.

The N95 Phone has FAR more feature then the IPhone. They simply could not make an Iphone II out of an Iphone because it had a touch screen. ANYTHING that can be written into firmware can be switched by any switch in a particular mode.

Would not mind a notebook touch screen But on a small screen its a PIA. nothing can take the place of tactile response.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247850 - 11/11/08 08:53 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Dnj Offline

Wasn't there a thread on Tyros buttons SINKING into the keyboard body a while back?
Thank goodness for touch screens.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/011156.html

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/017793.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-11-2008).]

#247851 - 11/11/08 10:57 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Christian_1 Offline

First I must say that's very good that Yamaha is using buttons!
Since I am visually impaired I get more access to the instruments features with buttons.
I have plaied both the Pa800 and the Pa1X and I had very limited access to the instrument. I have also tried the Roland E80 with the same result.
So me and other blind and visually impaired musicians really want buttons, and NO, stupid inaccessible touch screens!

#247852 - 11/11/08 12:41 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You all are forgetting the cost to an arranger of adding buttons for every function that can easily be done with a touch screen. Take the Abacus, for instance... Absolutely bristling with buttons and sliders.

Absolutely too expensive as well (and a large part of that expense is the physical controllers).

Touch screens offer a way for the manufacturer to include FAR more live control than could be afforded to us at the same price if all these functions HAD to have physical buttons. Personally, I find absolutely ZERO problems with operating my Roland with the touch screen. OK, with one exception, I WOULD have preferred a different location for a couple of the screen buttons... But I would be happy for them to merely have the location changed, rather than have them changed to physical buttons.

At least, with a touch screen, there exists the POSSIBILITY of the manufacturer changing the layout with an upgrade, but a physical button in the wrong place (and we have ALL bitched about that one!) cannot be corrected without buying another model.

And sorry, but reports of bad buttons outnumber bad touch screen reports hundreds (probably tens of thousands, in real figures) to one... I've been stabbing at mine in the heat of playing for over three years. Not a HINT of a problem. My Triton (original one) is STILL working fine, I know guys who have used them six gigs a week for as long as they have been out, in outdoor, seaside venues. No problems.

A bad button layout is just as hard to overcome as a bad screen layout and slow response (which has completely gone, nowadays). You can keep sticking to older systems as long as they keep providing them, but operational ease will suffer, or the price will go up, as manufacturers chose between buttons or no control at all.

BTW, Roland have a neat system where, if you press and HOLD any physical button, the edit page for that function pops up on the screen. VERY fast, very intuitive. Others should copy...

#247853 - 11/11/08 12:44 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Yep....there was a Nigelectomy performed...useless banter was removed.

Not enough, mind you.

But hey, this would be an empty stadium if it ALL were

#247854 - 11/11/08 12:47 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
BTW, Roland have a neat system where, if you press and HOLD any physical button, the edit page for that function pops up on the screen. VERY fast, very intuitive. Others should copy...

Diki I love this feature

#247855 - 11/11/08 12:50 PM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've seen FAR worse things overlooked than what Scott said. There must be something I don't know to cause him to be banned for that.
DonM

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online