SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#247837 - 11/11/08 06:02 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Do the math guys. A Yamaha's buttons (considering Yamaha's build quality) would die long before the touch screen.

Yes.., touch screens have their (number of presses), but I can't tell you how many people I know with original Korg Trinity's using the "original touch screen" to date with no problems and have been giggin with them since day one. Same goes for the original Triton!

If I had a Yamaha arranger with a touch screen (based on Yamaha's build history).., I'd be 10 times more worried about the buttons going before the touch screen.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#247838 - 11/11/08 06:10 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Do the math guys...replacing a screen is far more expensive than buttons.

A whole screen vs a button....mmmm....some people must be using that "new" math.

#247839 - 11/11/08 06:49 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
squeak_D Offline

Point of the math (seeing is it completey went over your head) is that you'd be replacing buttons LONG before you'd be replacing the screen. By the time you replace the number of buttons that would fail (common to Yamaha's arrangers) over years of giggin would easily exceed the cost of a screen replacement.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#247840 - 11/11/08 07:08 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
mc Offline

Loc: New York
"MC, as for the EM2000..they definitely had pixel problems..I had 3 units (still have one)..they all developed pixel line problems..Compared to the G1000 display..zero problems..that enlarged EM2000 screen was just a bad one..clarity wise and pixel missing wise.."

Fran, that's too bad, when I bought my EM2000 at samash, they also had the G1000 for the same price(they were side by side.) I picked up the EM2000 because of the onboard speakers and the bigger screen. If I knew that screen was going to be a problem later on, I would purchased the G1000 that day and I bet you I would have probably still have it today. I ended up selling the EM2000 because I could barely see the screen. Oh well.......

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-11-2008).]

#247841 - 11/11/08 07:36 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
ianmcnll Offline

One screen...cost:$400 plus.:O

One button...Cost: comparatively negligible.

Screen broken..arranger no go. .

Button broken...usually a work around until repaired.

Some people are slow to grasp things... ...

Ian

#247842 - 11/11/08 07:41 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I like to have BOTH...Touch screen for setup, configuration, programming styles, AND ESPECIALLY for entering text.. I hate that multi-button push deal with Yamaha to enter text, BUT buttons for most playing situatons as if your moving FAST..buttons are better than touch screen.

That's unless we get a 10" -15" touch screen some day. :-)

Like I use on my manufacturing systems I design, program & sell.

Lee

#247843 - 11/11/08 07:45 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
One screen...cost:$400 plus.:O

One button...Cost: comparatively negligible.

Screen broken..arranger no go. .

Button broken...usually a work around until repaired.

Some people are slow to grasp things... ...

Ian

So are we to assume that an LCD screen on an arranger/workstation is less prone to having issues? Considering Touch Screens are made to withstand the rigors of daily use I don't think that's the case. Do you seriously think companies would use touch screens in ATM's, Information kiosks in malls, and Airports if they were that prone to failure? Not a chance!

A broken button can often take as much time to replace as a broken screen dependent upon the keyboard its used in. It's not the parts cost that will kill you its the labor.

#247844 - 11/11/08 07:45 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
squeak_D Offline

Some people can't seem to grasp the obvious too. Considering there are THOUSANDS of origianl Korg Trinity's and Triton Classics out there STILL RUNNING on the original touch screens is evidence enough of how well they handle gig use and daily pressing and tapping from fingers.

Taking into account the failure rate for these screens on the current and past models one should be able "grasp the concept" that given Yamaha's lower build quality on their arranger line a touch screen would most likely outlast the buttons themselves... When a Yamaha button fails you can't "always replace just that button".

#247845 - 11/11/08 07:52 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:

That's unless we get a 10" -15" touch screen some day. :-)Lee

Exactly...much easier to see and use in a playing situation....but, most importantly there should be some form of tactile feedback when you press an area....that's what's missing, as well as a delineated area...i.e. raised borders, or sections perhaps?

Ian

#247846 - 11/11/08 07:55 AM Re: When will Yamaha ever catch up & include a touch screen on the Arrangers?....
squeak_D Offline

Uhhhhh.., doesn't the MediaStation have a massive touch display compared to the other arrangers out there? (this isn't an open to bash the MS, but to point out the MS uses a pretty large touch display)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online