SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247542 - 11/06/08 04:42 PM Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi

I'm doing some repeat work for an assisted living facility the day before Thanksgiving. So far I'm thinking of doing about anything that normally would fit in a place like this. I haven't been able to think of any seasonal type songs for it. It's sure too early for Christmas songs and I don't plan on doing any hymns or Over The River And Through The Woods.hhaha

I have been doing this as an instrumental only. No vocals unless it's a sing-a-long.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Scott

#247543 - 11/06/08 05:46 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
What about something in the lines of PEOPLE or IMPOSSIBLE DREAM?

Autumn Leaves and Let It Snow, if it's snowing.

#247544 - 11/06/08 06:58 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
If its all instrumental...I'd hit them with perky, easy swing tunes. Toss in a few pretty waltzes and ballads and you'll be fine...

For me, Xmas starts the day after Thanksgiving. Just like the Xmas shopping season, lol...

Good luck!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#247545 - 11/06/08 08:29 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I agree with the swing tunes ... not too many 'ballads' unless you give them some kind of tempo, perhaps a rhumba or bolero style ... I'd use a lot of 40's and don't be afraid to play some 50's R n R as instrumentals ...

Scott, hearing your music, I KNOW you've got the 'goods' ...

t.

PS ... and maybe throw in "Turkey in the Straw" ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 11-06-2008).]

#247546 - 11/06/08 08:38 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
zuki Offline

Do your Glenn Miller stuff - they love. Do some bossas, uptempo style. A good polka goes great. Do a patriot medley. They love anything that sounds really good. With your playing, you'll do great. Best wishes

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#247547 - 11/06/08 09:33 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
church Offline

Loc: Fremont,CA.
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi

I'm doing some repeat work for an assisted living facility the day before Thanksgiving. So far I'm thinking of doing about anything that normally would fit in a place like this. I haven't been able to think of any seasonal type songs for it. It's sure too early for Christmas songs and I don't plan on doing any hymns or Over The River And Through The Woods.hhaha

I have been doing this as an instrumental only. No vocals unless it's a sing-a-long.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Scott

Play some Big Band sounds,some Polkas,Some up tempo Jazzy,like Just in Time,Spanish Eyes,I left My Heart in S.F,Moon River,Alley Cat.I few Movie Classics like High and the Mighty, Days of Wine and Roses,As time Goes By,My kind Of Town.
Not too slow of songs,they will fall asleep.
Good luck,Have fun.
Ron C.

[This message has been edited by church (edited 11-06-2008).]

#247548 - 11/23/08 06:29 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx for the input, it's just about the way I felt about it also.

#247549 - 11/23/08 06:39 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
Dnj Online   content

you can play anything you want But if you dont CONNECT with the audiences in these facilities with your playing & vocals your efforts will be fruitless and you wont be returning anytime soon.In many ways it is more difficult then regular gigs, but surly more rewarding..

#247550 - 11/23/08 07:12 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
Scott Langholff Offline

Yes, very true. This is my 3rd or 4th time at this place

#247551 - 11/23/08 07:34 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott,
Ask the question, “Wif I were a senior why would they like a performer”?

I agree with Donny, talk to them make them feel important. Keep the music simple and alive. Pick a person you can have dialogue with – use him to connect with the others, it’s viewed as a friendly thing.

Above all – you make sure you look happy and alive.

My thoughts, John C.

#247552 - 11/23/08 07:47 PM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
Dnj Online   content

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Yes, very true. This is my 3rd or 4th time at this place

I've seen many wannabes come and go because they just sit there, look at the music & play, never sing or look up at the audience or make eye contact, never talk to them in between songs or during the show just sit there for an hour and expect to get paid because they think being they're are in a NH no one cares. Well they couldn't be more wrong. Although NH gigs are about 50% of my yearly gig schedule when I perform at these facilities it's done with the same intensity as when I'm on stage in from of 400 people at a dance gig.....they deserve all you have & more. And when your done go give out a few hugs too.....it'll make ya feel good especially now with the holidays approaching!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-24-2008).]

#247553 - 11/24/08 06:21 AM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
Dnj Online   content

Another thing you can do is to call a few AD's ask them when their top performers will be entertaining at the facility & make it a point to go see them.....sit there and absorb intently, I'm sure you will get some tips & tricks for watching the Pros do their thing...hopefully you can take a little bit & introduce it into your act. We all learn from each other at any level. Never think you know it all because you don't, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.
Only YOU can make it happen on stage. And the same goes for acts in your area in any venues......Follow the big boyz....you'll be surprised at what you'll learn. I'm sure when we go to the Shreveport Louisiana Jam in January 18,19,20,21....besides the great camaraderie & musicianship we will all learn for sure from watching each other play, sing, and jam for sure in may ways.....I can't wait & I hope many here will consider coming also either 1 day or for all 4.!.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-24-2008).]

#247554 - 11/24/08 06:49 AM Re: Any ideas for songs for Nov 26 for Assisted Living?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Do your usual routine--that's why they keep bringing you back. Good advice above as well. Avoid ballads, slow songs that make reference to death, dying, home, etc.., all of which are depressing to those who have been warehoused to await the Grim Reaper.

One of the things I pride myself in is I know the names of many of the individuals I perform for in the nursing homes, assisted living centers and retirement communities. I shake their hands, give them hugs and have a wonderful relationship with my audiences.

The sincerest form of flattery is when the AD comes up and asks if another performer can sit in the audience and watch the performance. This has happened to me on numerous occasions during the past few years. Those same ADs also book me a year in advance and have given me pay increases regularly.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online