SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246811 - 10/31/08 06:16 PM just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I love the sound and the styles of the korg! wow I was very impressed just after a few minutes and listening to a few styles and sounds...

My next purchase is either a tyros 3 or a korg PA 800. i have a few questions I am hoping some experienced Korg and Yamaha owners can answer as i have only previously owned Tyros and PSr keyboards (and the technics KN6500)...

The PA 800 was also only 1 week old in the shop so it came shipped with the latest OS built in (so I was told)...

1) Is the anything significant feature wise that I will be loosing if i go to the Korg as opposed to the Yamaha? i dont mean Super Articulation, I am talking about things in the menus, style functionality, sequencing, realtime button opertaion / ease of use on the fly etc etc

2) Has anyone converted Yamaha Styles to work with the Korg?

3) Is there a Cakewalk instrument Definition file available for the Pa 800?

4) Is there any difference in quality of sounds from the PA 2X to the PA800 or is it just some features?

5) Can you still do all the preset user registration banks just like the Yamaha?

7) Is the PA 800 replacement due out soon?

8) Does anyone have a manual and data list they can send me please?

My main preference of style choice that I use is Trance / dance / electronica and lots of latin / ballroom styles. I really think the Korg is a good Fit.

How do the speakers compare to those on the PSR S900 / PSR 3000?

One thing I was a bit dissapointed about was the keyfeel, very spongy and similar to the PSR keyboards.

before I get this question - i am choosing the PS 800 over the PA2x simply becuase of the money. the PA2x pro retails for $7,999.00 AUD which is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

-Nick

#246812 - 10/31/08 06:18 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Nick G Offline

sorry - the title is suppose to say i Just SPENT 1 hour on the PA 800...

#246813 - 10/31/08 06:48 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Nick,

I sell them both the T3 and the PA800,

1) Is the anything significant feature wise that I will be loosing if i go to the Korg as opposed to the Yamaha? i dont mean Super Articulation, I am talking about things in the menus, style functionality, sequencing, realtime button opertaion / ease of use on the fly etc etc

I personally feel the Korg has a better set-up for live play, other than that they both are very good in all respects, both are different animals so it won't be that easy to get into one as deep right of the bat

2) Has anyone converted Yamaha Styles to work with the Korg?

I've seen them haven't heard any

3) Is there a Cakewalk instrument Definition file available for the Pa 800?

yes, you can get it at korgpa.com

4) Is there any difference in quality of sounds from the PA 2X to the PA800 or is it just some features?

There is a slight difference in the DAC outputs, giving a slightly better sound output form the pa2xpro, other than that same engine

#246814 - 10/31/08 06:52 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
zuki Offline

1. It's been a while since I transitioned from the S900 to the PA800, but I miss NOTHING about the 900

2. There are Yammy conversions, but not as good sounding on the Korg. I have found not wanting to go back to those styles anyway.

3. Don't use software.

4. Sound and styles are identical.

5. I was paranoid to leave the registration feature, but the Songbook is a tool that is SECOND TO NONE - an absolute dream! Could never go back to Yamaha's way.

6. What happened to the question

7. Replacement will be in the form of an OS upgrade, any day now we hear.

8. Can be downloaded from the Korg web site

I think your style is well suited for Korg. Some will bad mouth it for lack of styles, but believe me, there is everything there to do whatever you want. It is truly an amazing board.

I have both the PA2X and 800 and I really have fallen in love with the 76 keys and pop up screen. I didn't particularly like the spongy 800 keys at first either, but I now love the keybed (maybe it took a while to break in).

If I had to sell one for a reason, I would unload the 2X. The 800 is a marvel with the weight, speakers and ergonomic layout - just perfect

OK, others come forward

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#246815 - 10/31/08 08:26 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Nick, I've owned the Tyros2, Pa800 and now the Pa2xPro.

My 2 cents.
After a few minutes playing the PA800 I knew I wanted the board. My only regret and it was not such a big issue. I liked the Korg so much that 3 months later I bought the Pa2xPro and sold the PA800. I always want what I don't have I do miss the greater variety of Yamaha styles and 3rd party support. That's not to say that Korg doesn't have plenty of styles to work with, they do. On a number of tunes I play I adopted the songs to fit the Korg styles.

I'm with Zuki, the Songbook feature is a tough one to give up. Works great for live play. I could however get back to using Yamaha registrations and gig disks. But Songbook has lots of flexibility.

You can download the manual and data list from: http://korgpa.com

My next purchase could be a Tyros3 I will demo one real soon. Fortunately, when I do I'll be able to play it while it's sitting right beside a Pa2xPro and Pa 800. Whatever I decide it's not going to be a cut a dry decision both keyboards are outstanding. My tin ears will be the final call.

The PA series allow you to dig deeper into the OS than Yamaha. That's not a priority for me, you may want to ask yourself that question to make a decision. I'd rather be playing it and improving my playing skills rather than making edits to the OS.

If pricing is a factor in your decision, I'm sure you can purchase a PA800 for less money that the T3 ( at least that's the case here in the states).

Good luck

#246816 - 10/31/08 10:55 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
I find the speakers on the pa800 wonderful to my ears especially using MP3s.

Cousin Ken

#246817 - 11/01/08 12:39 AM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The yamaha sequencer is definately inferior to the PA series as all the tracks can be edited in the same way as a true worksation could whether you record using the styles ins a "one pass" type recording using the arranger to record all the parts or whether you record each part separately in the traditional workstation type way. As has already been said the songbook feature is the best function on the PA series for organising all your songs, styles etc in a logical and easy way. Way better than anything i have found on any other arranger including the ymaha.

#246818 - 11/01/08 06:01 AM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
HI Nick,

Just like Steven, I moved from the Tyros2 to the Pa2xpro. For me I wanted 76 keys.

Feature wise you'd be getting a heck of a lot more by switching to the Pa800. I love the ability to switch out drums in the styles quickly using the Korg OS.

I've had great success converting Yamaha styles to the Korg using EMC styleworks.

The Korgs are much better at sampling and adding samples/wavs to styles.

And Korg really does a great job updating and upgrading the keyboards with new OS features.

Oh, and the Pa2 keybed is phenomenal.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#246819 - 11/01/08 08:13 AM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Dnj Offline

"Feature wise" you are only GAINING with a Top or mid-level Korg or Roland unit versus any Yamaha arranger....it's all there in black & white READ the manuals & compare

#246820 - 11/01/08 10:07 AM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Princess Offline

Loc: Michigan
LA LAAAA LA I love my KORG PA800/////// Paula

#246821 - 11/01/08 11:43 AM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Falberto347 Offline

Loc: Perth Amboy, New Jersey, USA
La Laaaa La.......me too!

#246822 - 11/01/08 01:52 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Would you like to share those converted styles Keyboarder.

Cousin Ken

#246823 - 11/01/08 02:43 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
NickG,
Be sure and go to the KorgPA.com site and look at the upcomming OS2 features being added for FREE! I repeat for FREE!

Also, some initial demos on the new Korg Difined Nuace Contol sounds are here:http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37642&sid=e1e2a1244e37ce5c282a7a315a1dd5c2

I went from Yamaha T2 to the PA2XPRO.

Actually it would be best if you could go to Frank's place and spend a day...checking out both to see which one you like best. Also....he has great pricing on everything and superb support.

Lee

Lee

#246824 - 11/01/08 03:14 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Also...if you are looking at T3 Vs PA800...why not go for the PA2XPRO (about the same street price) ...great keybed 76 keys and more sliders amd they are assignable to lots of different things.

Lee

#246825 - 11/01/08 03:15 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Princess Offline

Loc: Michigan
Quote:
Originally posted by Caragabal:
Would you like to share those converted styles Keyboarder.

Cousin Ken

Yes Cousin Ken,I would love to try them also.Maybe kbrkr will share them with me also :~)

#246826 - 11/01/08 11:39 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Nick,
style & padediting/creation functions are better on the korg.
You can sample with the korg
Yo can create "groove" pad & style tracks.
ie a groove is a spliced audio drum loop.
A groovecan replace a drum or percussion track in a style, or as a pad, it will sync to style.

Another great feature is Guitar Mode. It's a style creation tool for recording guitar tracks .

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-02-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#246827 - 11/02/08 05:31 AM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Nick didn't you own a Motif?

Do you still have it?

Also, come on, $7,990 is just the RRP on the PAx not the street price....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#246828 - 11/02/08 01:59 PM Re: just spend 1 hour on a PA 800 - very impressed! but i have questions...
Nick G Offline

I still own the Motif but i am selling it as i have never really been as inspired to play it as an arranger. I miss the true arranger functionality.

I know that 7,999 is only an RRP but it still means its another 2k above the Tyros 3 what ever price I bargain down to.

I watched the 1h20min Korg PA 800 tutorial video last night and i am absolutely sold! i cant wait to get a Korg now. the styles and sounds are different and more acquired to my musical taste. its just something completely different to Yamaha which is what i like.

I want to give something new a shot and not just buy a keyboard (Tyros 3) that has all the same plus a bit more if u get me?

The fact that it has the same amount of drum kits as the motif, and awesome usable synth sounds and effects is one factor, and then the styles, the overall quality, the fact it has good speakers AND its light makes it a winner for me!

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 11-02-2008).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online