SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#246473 - 10/28/08 07:06 AM Roland GW8 a great buy ?
Phanoo Offline

Loc: france
hello I'm new on this forum;
first, sorry for my english I'm french

I'm currently looking for a new synth, but I want to be sure of my choice, since 650€ (~$900 ?) is quite high for me.

first, talk about the sounds:
I had before an old Sound Canvas SC88Pro, it had some great sounds (love pianos) but poor woodwinds, strings and brasses. Is the GW8 a big improvement on these sounds compared to the SC88?

next, I'd like to know how good is the sequencer... can I do step-by-step editing? can I generate MIDI files from what i've recorded through the sequencer?

I like to play the keyboard but my main activity is composing, with the computer.

Do you think this synth is OK for what I want to do with? (new sounds for composing, good keyboard keys for playing occasionally, little sequencer to record some ideas without my computer)

I will go to a music market to try it, but more opinions from users are always useful !!

[This message has been edited by Phanoo (edited 10-28-2008).]

[This message has been edited by Phanoo (edited 10-28-2008).]

#246474 - 10/28/08 07:10 AM Re: Roland GW8 a great buy ?
Dnj Offline

#246475 - 10/28/08 07:25 AM Re: Roland GW8 a great buy ?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Has anybody here tried one yet?

#246476 - 10/28/08 07:29 AM Re: Roland GW8 a great buy ?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
Has anybody here tried one yet?

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/018403.html

#246477 - 10/28/08 08:22 AM Re: Roland GW8 a great buy ?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
If you're going to do most of your composing on the computer the GW-8 would probaby be a good fit for you.., as all you'll need is the instr. def files (and I think I saw on a site Roland already has a set for a popular seq app).

Sound wise you should be happy with the GW-8. It's sound engine is based on the Roland Fantom X and SonicCell. You can tweek the patches, but not to the level you'd find on a larger workstation, but the basics are there.

If you're looking for a basic scratch pad seq.., then that's exactly what the GW-8's is. It's very limited in post song editing, but it will let you lay down 16 trks.

For what you want to use it for.., I think it's a great bargain for you. You already stated you compose mostly on the computer.., so the GW's limits on the seq would be overcome by your software seq. However.., your patch-editing needs may or may not be met with the GW. You should download the manual and have a look at it.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online