SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#246123 - 10/25/08 03:57 PM New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi

Over the last several days I've been adding new songs to my website. This gives Chuck a chance to critique what I'm playing around with for our demo CD, as he lives 1 1/2 hours away from me.

Today I added Tequila which we did a few weeks ago for a girls night out thing. Most of the other tunes were from the first or second time we got together.

Thought you might enjoy some of the takes.
http://www.ScottLMusic.com/Chuck_Wheeler

Scott

#246124 - 10/26/08 12:35 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Scott,
I am listening right now to your songs and here a few observations:
- Tequila: I love your phrasing with the brass sounds (you once said that you played in a brass section and it clearly shows here), but I think that the overall tempo is too fast, unless you want to make a rendition in the style of Gil Evans. If you think to perform this song in public, I am afraid that few are going to dance and on the other hand it's also too "loud" to be just background music.

- Dock of the bay: I love this one and Chuck does a terrific impersonation of Otis Redding; your guitar licks are excellent, but something does not sound good with the harmony: after about 18 seconds (on "Watching the tide roll away") you apparently alternate between E and Em, while to me it would be better to alternate between G and E; true, Em and G are closely related chords, but still there is something wrong to my ears)
- Europa: I LOVE this one! Your guitar phrasing is terrific and I love also the style choosen (cuban bolero maybe?)
- Stand by me: all well, but this song is to me a clear example of the lack of punch of the Tyros drums, because it would require a snare with a lot more beef. Your rendition however (both vocal and instrumental) is as good as it can get. Once again, kudos for your guitar licks.
- Under the boardwalk: kudos to Chuck for his voice and to your for the guitar work. Once again, I think that the drums are too "bland", but this is not your fault.
- Unchained melody: your work is first class, but maybe Chuck is just tired to sing this song...

Scott, I am really impressed with what you have done and hope that you will continue to share your music with us.

#246125 - 10/26/08 12:45 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
re-reading what I have written I am left with the sensation that maybe I was over-cricitizing. The truth is that I hate long-winded posts (I usually skip them altogether when I see one), so I try always to be concise, but maybe my reply was too concise and dry.
The truth is that I loved your songs and actually have downloaded Europa to analyze in depth your guitar licks, but in my reply have tried to focus on the points I think could be improved, even if many of them simply depend on the keyboard used (you should maybe try a different Eq for the drum parts in the mixing console).
Ciao!
A.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 10-26-2008).]

#246126 - 10/26/08 12:57 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Long winded posts... don't get me started...

I simply feel, for this song, the montuño is just not in the right mode. A different style, or simply bothering with the I-b7 thing for the verse would be better, rather than just let the one chord run...

Sometimes they work for you, sometimes against. Here, unfortunately IMO, the latter.

I'm also wary about opening up the voicing on trilled brass notes. You listen to most sections, they don't trill chords. Octaves, open chords, yes, rarely whole chords...

It's a good start, and the rhythm could work for you. But the rest of the arranger is working against you, IMO.

#246127 - 10/26/08 06:43 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Nice stuff...

I liked "Since I don't have you" the best. really nice guitar work...how did you do the echo effect?

I agree with Dreamer about the chords in Dock...Go to an E, not an Em in the chorus...

I have tried to find a style for Tequila, but haven't found one that I think is workable for the essence of the tune. We both play T2's and what they give us, IMO is too much off a stretch to work for me.

Question: Tequila, Dock, Don't know why and Boardwalk all seemed faster tempos than I'd take them for dancing crowds. Are you playing for dancers or a different kind of thing?

You're guitar work is almost "Mason-esque"...

Keep it coming, Scott...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 10-26-2008).]

#246128 - 10/26/08 06:59 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

Wow, I'm flattered! I enjoyed the songs, but agree I would like some of the tempos a little slower. Great work, and thanks for sharing.
DonM

#246129 - 10/26/08 08:47 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Scott! Great work neighbor! You and Chuck sound GREAT! I listened to the entire set, including the demo medley - very nice!

I couldn't recognize the styles you used on Europa or Sunshine of My Life. Can you share which styles you used?

Keep up the great work - and if you're giggin over here let me know and I'll come feed your tip jar!!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#246130 - 10/26/08 09:16 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott, you did good. I put my speakers up high closed my eyes and pictured being in a large dance hall filled with people and you came through. It sounded as close to real as you can get. The Yamaha brass really stood out front.
(Tequila)

John C.

#246131 - 10/26/08 10:52 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Bro' Scott!

Finally got the chance to listen to your latest tunes. Like the ENERGY & what you did with Tequila . . . and I can hear the fun you had doing it. yeah !

Terrific vocal/guitar on Dock Of the Bay. I perform this one a lot myself (it's a SF signature song afterall). Assuming that Andrea's referring to the Em (instead of G) played on "Tide" in watching the tide roll away, I actually LIKE that you did that, evoking a fittingly sadder feel on that word. Thanks for the idea.

In closing, a terrfic captured live song set. Next best thing to seeing your act in person.

oh almost forgot: Drum mix & timbre sound really good to me, especially cuz you don't want them to over dominate. You and Chuck are the STARS of the show afterall .

Scott Yee

------------------
Scott Yee Entertainment

#246132 - 10/26/08 12:50 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Dnj Offline

Scott thank you for posting your work ....
I too have to agree that although well done Tequila was a bit too quick for dancing to this all time classic mambo.
I find that if these SA voices are not utilized precisely correct when played they do tend to sound Non Authentic. Sometimes LESS is more with these sounds. I enjoyed your other songs very much & wish you both good luck in the trenches gigging!

#246133 - 11/02/08 09:18 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Hi Scott,
I am listening right now to your songs and here a few observations:
- Tequila: I love your phrasing with the brass sounds (you once said that you played in a brass section and it clearly shows here), but I think that the overall tempo is too fast, unless you want to make a rendition in the style of Gil Evans. If you think to perform this song in public, I am afraid that few are going to dance and on the other hand it's also too "loud" to be just background music.

- Dock of the bay: I love this one and Chuck does a terrific impersonation of Otis Redding; your guitar licks are excellent, but something does not sound good with the harmony: after about 18 seconds (on "Watching the tide roll away") you apparently alternate between E and Em, while to me it would be better to alternate between G and E; true, Em and G are closely related chords, but still there is something wrong to my ears)
- Europa: I LOVE this one! Your guitar phrasing is terrific and I love also the style choosen (cuban bolero maybe?)
- Stand by me: all well, but this song is to me a clear example of the lack of punch of the Tyros drums, because it would require a snare with a lot more beef. Your rendition however (both vocal and instrumental) is as good as it can get. Once again, kudos for your guitar licks.
- Under the boardwalk: kudos to Chuck for his voice and to your for the guitar work. Once again, I think that the drums are too "bland", but this is not your fault.
- Unchained melody: your work is first class, but maybe Chuck is just tired to sing this song...

Scott, I am really impressed with what you have done and hope that you will continue to share your music with us.

Time to play a little catch up and respond to those who posted.

Thanx for your compliments, critiques and ideas. Yes, I have enjoyed playing in many big bands on trumpet. I see you are from Italy? In the US, ladies night out is not background music, they want to live it up and shake their a$$ as my wife put's it. On Tequila, I was trying to play something really different with a lot of energy almost to the point of being outrageous. Along the lines of Maynard Ferguson's big band comes to mind.

The place was packed and you should have seen some of that dancing going on, it was enough to make a guy forget where he was in the music.hahaha

The owner said we sounded fantastic and we are now the official ladies night out band along with regular weekend work. Also, an owner form another club down the road heard us and asked us to play regularly at their establishment at the gig where this was recorded.

I'm not saying any of this to brag, this is just to point out what I was trying to accomplish and what came out of that night's gig.

I think a lot is lost in just listening to an audio recording. If a person where able to be in the energy of that room with that crowd I think it would seem feasible to play Tequila the way I decided to try it.

On Dock of the Bay, I will have to try your suggestion, and listen to recordings, but in the music I used to get the chords, the chord goes, in this case from D to Dm back to D. It seems a little different, but it seems to work for us.

On Europa, thanx again, I believe the style was bolero lento, one of my favorites.

On Stand by me, I actually am in the process of looking for a better beat period. That beat is not as driving as I would like it, but it's what I picked when the singer gave me his song list and was trying to come close to a beat that might work.

On Under the boardwalk, thanx again. Again, I am always searching for a better more representitive beat, not necessarily the way the original sounded but a beat that has energy and makes it ours. So for me, it's more of finding a better beat. I generally like the Yamaha drums. I know this is very subjective, but it seems to be fine live. As far as the recording, I didn't do anything with eq's etc. However , I am continually wanting to try other keyboards for comparison to see how I could improve my/our particular musical personality.

On Unchained melody, it's actually the first song we ever played together and it was live. We just met, shook hands, I started to open the set as an instrumental, and Chuck said he knew that song and jumped in. The other thing is he does have more of a delicate sensitive voice than the original I would say. Dock of the Bay, Stand by me, and Boardwalk were all from our first gig together. We've been fine tuning ever since, only problem is pretty much all other recordings were not a good mix and unusable, except for one we just did last week.

Thanx again for all comments.

Scott

#246134 - 11/02/08 09:31 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Long winded posts... don't get me started...

I simply feel, for this song, the montu�o is just not in the right mode. A different style, or simply bothering with the I-b7 thing for the verse would be better, rather than just let the one chord run...

Sometimes they work for you, sometimes against. Here, unfortunately IMO, the latter.

I'm also wary about opening up the voicing on trilled brass notes. You listen to most sections, they don't trill chords. Octaves, open chords, yes, rarely whole chords...

It's a good start, and the rhythm could work for you. But the rest of the arranger is working against you, IMO.

Hi Diki

I appreciate your honest input. I understand what you are saying about the style, speed etc, but again, it's what I was looking for to get the effect I wanted. On this I felt that there was enough and even more activity going on in the style than the old boring I to viib chord.

As far as the brass trills,.........6 of one and half dozen of the other I have played in 4 and 5 piece trumpet sections where all players did the trill. Usually it's not always heard is of course, it becomes more difficult on the lower parts. To the 2% of the public that may take issue with this I'd say, oh well. To the 98% that thinks this is what a trumpet seciton sounds like, then fine. Again, on Tequila, to suit my taste, what I was attempting, this is pretty much what I was looking for. On some of the other's, I am not entirely pleased, but under the circumstances I think it'll work.

One thing that help's me keep my sanity when going through this material is that it's not uncommon for the big name artist's to do 60 takes before they get the one they want to release. So, when these cut's are not all entirely ideal to me, I think it get's across the spirit of what we're up to and hope that that is what will be felt and remembered.

As with everything I do, I'm sure next time will be different.

#246135 - 11/02/08 09:39 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Nice stuff...

I liked "Since I don't have you" the best. really nice guitar work...how did you do the echo effect?

I agree with Dreamer about the chords in Dock...Go to an E, not an Em in the chorus...

I have tried to find a style for Tequila, but haven't found one that I think is workable for the essence of the tune. We both play T2's and what they give us, IMO is too much off a stretch to work for me.

Question: Tequila, Dock, Don't know why and Boardwalk all seemed faster tempos than I'd take them for dancing crowds. Are you playing for dancers or a different kind of thing?

Keep it coming, Scott...

Thanx for your comments, Bill. I used the Ballad Guitar. As for the echo, I lifted it from some style where I liked what Yamaha did with that voice. Can't really remember which one.

On Dock of the bay, as I mentioned, it's written that way in the music that I got the info from. I'm going to listen to some recordings and see who does what in what renditions, in my spare time

On Tequilla, I used to use a much tamer version of a Samba, from the PSR2000 I believe. It was leaning more towards the original, as that's what I was tring to emulate at the time.

As for the tempos, being that I normally didn't play this kind of music until getting together with Chuck, and while some of it I knew but most of the tunes on his list I had never even heard of, (I have different than average listening tastes), what I did do is actually clocked the speed from the mp3's that I downloaded for these songs. So, they for the most part will be identicle in speed. We are playing for dancing, dining, and for those who enjoy listening. It's really a mix of all the above, quite often covering all of that in one gig.

Thanx again, Bill.

#246136 - 11/02/08 09:42 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

Wow, I'm flattered! I enjoyed the songs, but agree I would like some of the tempos a little slower. Great work, and thanks for sharing.
DonM

Hi Don

Thanx for the comments. Actually, I'm flattered, as you are certainly outstanding with guitar licks on the keyboard.

Interesting comment on the tempo's. Actually, we do vary the tempos sometimes by what kind of crowd we have, but I did clock them to the original recordings believe it or not.

#246137 - 11/02/08 09:46 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by saxxman:
Scott! Great work neighbor! You and Chuck sound GREAT! I listened to the entire set, including the demo medley - very nice!

I couldn't recognize the styles you used on Europa or Sunshine of My Life. Can you share which styles you used?

Keep up the great work - and if you're giggin over here let me know and I'll come feed your tip jar!!

Randy

Thanx Randy, much appreciated. The demo test actually got corrupted somehow. haven't had a chance to change it yet though.

I used Bolero Lento on Europa and Pop Bossa 1 for You are the sunshine of my life.

Thanx again, Randy, we'll have to get together, and as far as tips......

#246138 - 11/02/08 09:48 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
Scott, you did good. I put my speakers up high closed my eyes and pictured being in a large dance hall filled with people and you came through. It sounded as close to real as you can get. The Yamaha brass really stood out front.
(Tequila)

John C.

Thanx, John, much appreciated. That's an interesting way of listening. Truly being someplace hearing a live band is so much differnt than audio or video.

#246139 - 11/02/08 09:58 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hey Bro' Scott!

Finally got the chance to listen to your latest tunes. Like the ENERGY & what you did with Tequila . . . and I can hear the fun you had doing it. yeah !

Terrific vocal/guitar on Dock Of the Bay. I perform this one a lot myself (it's a SF signature song afterall). Assuming that Andrea's referring to the Em (instead of G) played on "Tide" in watching the tide roll away, I actually LIKE that you did that, evoking a fittingly sadder feel on that word. Thanks for the idea.

In closing, a terrfic captured live song set. Next best thing to seeing your act in person.

oh almost forgot: Drum mix & timbre sound really good to me, especially cuz you don't want them to over dominate. You and Chuck are the STARS of the show afterall .

Scott Yee

Hi ScottY

Thanx for all your kind words and comments. I guess you got the idea I was trying to get across with my very different rendition of Tequila. For many, I guess you'd have to be there, and I'm sure not everyone will have the same taste on this one.

I definitely was trying for the outrageous sounds of a Maynard Ferguson type song. Here's a video of one of their high energy tunes that Maynard wrote and opened each concert with following his theme song. I can verify, that if you were sitting in the front row of this concert you'd wig out This band was very exciting live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1QO3nNs25E

Thanx for your slant on Dock of Bay and everything else

#246140 - 11/02/08 10:06 PM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott thank you for posting your work ....
I too have to agree that although well done Tequila was a bit too quick for dancing to this all time classic mambo.
I find that if these SA voices are not utilized precisely correct when played they do tend to sound Non Authentic. Sometimes LESS is more with these sounds. I enjoyed your other songs very much & wish you both good luck in the trenches gigging!

Thanx Donny for all comments. On Tequila, I know what you are saying, but we really were'nt playing for an average crowd expecting to hear Tequila sound like the Ventures, etc. But I get what you have to say.

On the brass, again much appreciated and understand where you're coming from, but for me, really playing in trumpet sections of different bands and enjoying high energy sounds of Maynard Ferguson and the like, I will have to stick to my guns on this one, I was not trying for the old standby sounds of the past, so the style, speed and trumpet section work is in the 90% range of what I was actually attempting. Of course the next song was a very laid back one to assist in taking the crowd on a musical roller coaster ride

#246141 - 11/03/08 05:20 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
, but we really were'nt playing for an average crowd expecting to hear Tequila sound like the Ventures, etc.

Scott I think you meant the "Champs"

Good luck out there hope to hear more very soon....do you use "STYLES ONLY" All Night at gigs or mix it up & play some horn too..?

#246142 - 11/03/08 08:19 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Scott,
Very, very nice indeed!

Really enjoyed it...sure make me wish I could sing well.

Thanks for sharing with us...
Lee

#246143 - 11/03/08 10:33 AM Re: New live gig recordings on Tyros 2 added
John DiLeo Offline

Scott nice work, btw do you sing also in your Duo act?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online