SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#244907 - 10/15/08 05:51 AM Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
In my never ending quest to find the perfect keyboard I'm considering a Tyros3. I say that in jest we all know that perfect board hasn't been built yet, but I'm like what I hear on the Tyros3.

I'm not totally sold on a Tyros3, but am considering the purchase of one. I know these topics usually bring up some interesting debate and comments so...........what do you think?

#244908 - 10/15/08 06:01 AM Re: Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi Stephen, how could you bear to lose those extra keys you enjoy on the Pa2XPro? Certainly wait until after you've worked with the new OS 2.0 for a while; there look like there will be some great sounds coming with the release that will compare well to the T3.

With my SongBook now set up for about 65% of my repertoire, I could only ever consider a T3 or other keyboard if it had a similar feature.

Graham

#244909 - 10/15/08 06:32 AM Re: Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Stephen,
As you know, my T3 will be delivered today. I am not one to jump up and down with unnecessary excitment so I will hold off my opinion until I feel comfortable enough to take it on my first gig. About the 76 key thing - I would enjoy turning off all the "gadgets" and just playing piano once in a while. Unfortunately, being nearly 70 years old I have to be careful about weight of my keyboards. I had to sell my Korg PA1X because it was just to heavy for me to handle. My feeling about all of this is simple - if you really use your keyboard much like you would play a piano than the 76 keys would be really nice. On the other hand if you are an "arranger" type player than I doubt it really makes that much difference. I still own a piano and an organ but seldom play either anymore. I will provide a true and accurate "review" of my new T3 but not until I have time to give it a good workout and feel like I know what I am saying.

Best of luck with your decision.

Hammer

#244910 - 10/15/08 07:03 AM Re: Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
In my never ending quest to find the perfect keyboard I'm considering a Tyros3. I say that in jest we all know that perfect board hasn't been built yet, but I'm like what I hear on the Tyros3.

I'm not totally sold on a Tyros3, but am considering the purchase of one. I know these topics usually bring up some interesting debate and comments so...........what do you think?

.. must be nice .

t.

#244911 - 10/15/08 07:47 AM Re: Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Just got another call, might only have 1 left this weekend.

#244912 - 10/15/08 08:14 AM Re: Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Just got another call, might only have 1 left this weekend.

Is that what they call high pressure sales? LOL

#244913 - 10/15/08 08:52 AM Re: Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Is that what they call high pressure sales? LOL

Steven congratulations on your new TYROS 3....send me some songs when you get comfy with OK?

dp

#244914 - 10/15/08 09:32 AM Re: Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Steven congratulations on your new TYROS 3....send me some songs when you get comfy with OK?

dp

Donny, it's not a done deal yet. I should have posted in my original as Graham pointed out I will be waiting for Korg to release OS2. Rumor has it, that it could be as soon as October 19th, but I'm not betting on that date. If I do make the move I will send you some mp3s.

#244915 - 10/15/08 09:57 AM Re: Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:

Having used the PA2x Pro for four months, I fell I gave it a fair shot and I decided to sell it and buy the Tyros 3. For the subjective reason of "sound". Regardless of bells and whistles the end result is the sound.

Since I don't use arrangers live I found I did not need the dual sequencers, Low Impedance mike input, on board harmonizer, motorized screen, 76 keys. I did not like the button feel (same as my old Triton)or the wobbly sliders. I did like the styles but the after market availability of them were practically non existent unless you like to create Arabian music.

The manual is War and Peace which can be a good thing as far as features go. But I found I spent more time reading than creating. IN the end I missed the polish of the Yamaha CD like mixes. I played the Yamaha T2 by day at work and the Korg by night at hone and always preferred the Yamaha sounds.

When the T3 was announced and I began to see the specs it became a no brainer to sell the PA2x and take a $400 loss (which I felt was worth $100 month to use anyway).

AS far as the T3 goes. It's a huge leap from the T2 in my opinion from the built in hard drive to the SA2 voices, revamped EFX engine,

The manual is 1/4 even the P50 we have in the store!! The Direct Internet connection is huge for us because we can connect from the keyboard through the LAN port and download any song of style we need. 61 keys is not a deal breaker as we have an RD700 MIDIed to it for a full 88 key weighted controller.

It interfaces with Sonar well (although IM waiting for someone to write an INS file to be able to change patches from the software.

Many do NOT like the polish of the Yamaha and prefer the grit of the Korg. Thats a personal choice. I use it for recording and in that regard it saves a lot of "mastering" time. The inserts are nice if one wants to use an external effects unit as well as seperate outputs. The buttons "in play" for any given set up are lit up and LARGE. The ergonomics is better having the octave keys above the mod wheels and the smooooth sliders right under the screen which is akin to any good computer TFT LCD screen.

You really have to work with one and make your own choice. The sounds ARE different. Yamaha had thousands more styles available. Some will say Korg is better others will prefer Yamaha, That should not be of concern. What YOU hear is the final word.

IF I could pick up a banged up PA800 for less than a grand, I would. But even though I can buy either board 10% less than dealer cost being a retail employee I still would choose the more expensive Yamaha.

I can say this, for my use there is nothing I miss about the PA2x for studio use.
All that said if you intend on using just one keyboard in a OMB live situation the Korg wins hands down.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-15-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#244916 - 10/15/08 02:00 PM Re: Should I or shouldn't I ? Tyros3
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
My feeling about all of this is simple - if you really use your keyboard much like you would play a piano than the 76 keys would be really nice. On the other hand if you are an "arranger" type player than I doubt it really makes that much difference.

If I might add something to what you said. In my opinion even arranger type players should welcome and benefit from the extra 15 keys i.e. (76 vs. 61) because the extra keys allows extra available space for split points and even the inclusion of additional split points without being nearly as cramped as you would be on a 61 key arranger. 76 keys is beneficial for other voices besides just piano too, plus you end up not using the Octave switch nearly as much as you would on a 61 key board. 61 keys are fine for Organs but when you again consider setting up split points 76 keys would be more desirable in my opinion - especially if you use split points quite a bit and want to have more control and freedom, which 76 keys would allow you to do.

Weight is a big factor for many people but manufacturers are finally addressing this issue and you can now get a 76 key totl arranger today that registers under 40 lbs. Case in point is the Korg Pa2XPRO 76 key at 39.68 lbs/18 kg, whereas your former Pa1X 61 key weighs in at 48.5 lbs / 22 kg. The Pa1X has speakers though, of course, but the main point is the Pa2XPRO has 76 keys and weighs under 40 lbs.

I wouldn't be surprised within the next 3 to 5 years manufacturers will even further reduce the weight on their 76 key totl arrangers to around 30-35 lbs and still build them like a tank. With lighter and stronger composites becoming available, and becoming a viable option for manufacturers to use them, I think we will continue to see a decrease in weight on arrangers and workstations alike in the coming days and years ahead.

Best,
Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online