SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#243658 - 10/03/08 08:44 AM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Remember the first personal computers Don? Talk about costing an arm & leg... But as we know today's computers are much more powerful but costing a 'fraction' of the price of those years ago. As we know, the market for PC's exploded and the cost to produce them dropped precipitously, especially within the last ten years or so. Since Keyboards are more of a "niche" item marketed to a "niche" audience i.e. keyboardists the drop in price has been more gradual. I don't mind spending a wad of money for a keyboard if #1: it's worth its salt, and #2: the manufacturer, in my opinion, isn't going out of its way to gouge the consumer.

>> Hey Don! You got a great deal on that Bass boat. Mine was an initial good deal but I ended up having to put money into the outboard motor and in adding a new larger fuel tank. Mine's an open bow Runabout that I can use in either Salt or Fresh water. I prefer fresh though because it's not as hard on the boat and/or trailer as salt water is.

I wonder if you could get a similar kind of deal on a "slightly used" Audya in a couple years or so Don. Unless, of course, you don't mind parting with $5,500 for a brand spanking new one. PS: I added the tax into the equation, although the tax in La. may be slightly different than here in Calif.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-03-2008).]

#243659 - 10/03/08 09:36 AM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well my bass boat will do everything a new one will. It belonged to a local physician who used it only a few times. It is in perfect condition, but you never know when something will need repair.
On the other hand, a new keyboard will often offer improvements and features that older ones don't. If it ever comes down to it, I would sell the boat to buy a new KB in a second! As I said, it's a matter of priorities. The keyboard is my source of income and therefore essential.
We obviously don't NEED the latest and greatest, but I find a new one now and then keeps me interested and excited. While I become very comfortable with the various operating systems and the deep-down capabilities, I don't want to have to spend several weeks making a keyboard usable. I want to turn it on, spend a few days getting comfortable and setting it up for my purposes, and then play it. I'm sure close to half of the songs I do nightly are requests. No matter how many songs I have set up with registrations ahead of time, there are always more that I must do on the fly, while a couple wait to dance to "their" song.
When you turn the thing on the first time, drums should sound like drums, highs and lows shouldn't need much adjustment. Effects should be set at least in the ballpark. You shouldn't have to load piano samples, or any other samples, for the thing to sound like the instruments you are emulating. If it has vocal harmonizing, it should have some presets that sound pretty much like someone singing harmony with you, and shouldn't need a lot of editing. Is that asking too much?
DonM

#243660 - 10/04/08 10:03 AM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Originally posted by DonM:

Quote:
When you turn the thing on the first time, drums should sound like drums, highs and lows shouldn't need much adjustment. Effects should be set at least in the ballpark. You shouldn't have to load piano samples, or any other samples, for the thing to sound like the instruments you are emulating. If it has vocal harmonizing, it should have some presets that sound pretty much like someone singing harmony with you, and shouldn't need a lot of editing. Is that asking too much?

Nope! Not at all Don. I think consumers deserve as much. If manufacturers can't accomplish and comply with the essential basics that you've mentioned they will start losing marketshare to the other manufacturers who will and do comply.

Best,
Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online