SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#243648 - 10/01/08 01:10 PM Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
leezone Offline

i own the G-70
and from what i heard, most sounds and styles are better

can anyone comment on their experiences?

and also how it compares to Ketron SD-5, Audya, etc...

i'd love to hear the latin styles on the Tyros3

#243649 - 10/01/08 01:20 PM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by leezone:
i own the G-70
and from what i heard, most sounds and styles are better

can anyone comment on their experiences?

and also how it compares to Ketron SD-5, Audya, etc...

i'd love to hear the latin styles on the Tyros3

I owned a G70 and Tyros 2, now have a Pa2xPro. Latin styles on the G70 cannot be beat in my opinion. I loved them. Keybed and piano are great on the G70. So far as pro look and build, great key feel the G70 is best ( again only my opinion ). I never did like the G70 OS a bit too 20th century. Weight of the board was the main reason I sold it. 53 pounds inside and 15 pound gator case makes for more work than I really wanted to do.

#243650 - 10/01/08 01:28 PM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
leezone Offline

i do love my g-70, but the merengue, cumbia, salsa is a JOKE, not even close to th real deal... i could bet my life on it that it was not a "latin" player programming these styles...

yes the G-70 is built like a tank, and is heavy as hell.

as far as Ketron, it just sounds so much punchier, full, more live than my G-70,

i have the XD-3 module, and the overall sound through my QSC PA, is amazing.

i think it's the Ketron live drums, that really make the difference

i'm liking the Tyros3 sounds alot, and i just may have to get it.

imagine that a 3 tier stand with the G-70, Tyros 3, and Ketron XD-3, the best of ALL worlds

#243651 - 10/01/08 02:13 PM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
In spite of some kidding I took about selling the G-70 before even taking it out of the box, I spent 5 hours or so trying one out at a dealer, after I bought mine. The salesman who showed it to me was a user and very familiar with the instrument. That's when I realized that I'm a hardcore Ketron player. You're right; the drums and overall sounds are so much more realistic.

I owned a Yamaha 3000 (for three days) and played a Tyros 2 at NANMM. Just didn't like Yamaha at all, and gave the 3000 to my granddaughter. Have looked at the 900 and don't really like it either. The Tyros 3 may be an improvement, but that remains to be seen. 50% of my arranger jobs are outside, and the "mirror" effect was never an issue with the MS 60's, and is not with the controller and Midjay. Haven't used the SD-5 outside yet, but don't expect that the reflection would be a problem with it, either. The reflection issue is a deal breaker for me, and looked like reflection would be a problem with the G-70. Really don't like or want touch screens.

Combine all that with my comfort level with the Ketron OS, and I'm sticking with the line, even though I have some issues with
the organization.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-01-2008).]

#243652 - 10/02/08 12:27 PM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Combine all that with my comfort level with the Ketron OS, and I'm sticking with the line, even though I have some issues with the organization.

Russ

As in "support" issues perhaps Russ?? >> Or that it takes them over 2 years to get a keyboard to market - as in Audya?

The mystery keyboard of the 21st century.. There have been many sightings of the Audya i.e. (info, Musikmesse, AJ saying it could be at the Jam, etc.) but no hard evidence that it will make it to stores anytime soon. It reminds me of all the flying saucer sightings. There are a bunch of 'em from around the world from people of all walks of life - but NO hard evidence either. Well.. not to give up hope I suppose though. Ketron said the Audya should be shipping by January 2009. We've heard that before though right?

>> I wonder if the Government will bail us out if, after having bought an Audya (if it ever makes it to market ), we find that we can't make the payments on it - with it's $5,100 street price tag and all.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-02-2008).]

#243653 - 10/02/08 12:48 PM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I almost agree with Russ..just flip flop the Ketron top models and the Roland G70...

I know the G70 is the best keyboard on the market..the Ketron is next in line along with the Korg PA x (76 key models only)..The downfall to me on the second place finishers..the operating systems..from yesteryear..

and I have the same sentiment as Russ on Yamaha line..

Mike, we can pay $2,000...$3,000..and $4,000...why not $5,000.....They are our tools of the trade....

When it comes to any tools that I depend on to do the job for me...I buy the best...

I remember being taught...you can't go wrong..buying the best..

Don't forget we get a return on our investment..

#243654 - 10/02/08 03:08 PM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron

No, my problem with the Ketron folks involves an ehthical issue. Dealers I know are aware of what I'm talking about and don't like it and so are the current distributors.

That's all I'm going to say about the issue.

Russ

#243655 - 10/02/08 09:21 PM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
why not $5,000.....They are our tools of the trade....

The real question with the Audya will be: "Will it be worth the $5,100.00 price tag attached to it??" If the answer is a resounding YES, then my jokes will have been for naught. If the answer is NO or NOT REALLY, then it will only go to prove my point that: if left unchecked, keyboard manufacturers will play the pricing game to the hilt with ever ascending prices yet with less and less to show for it. Somebody needs to step in and call them on it (or at least make them aware of the travesty and the public's denunciation of it), because if we don't and we "just go with the flow" and pay up, they will keep making them with higher and higher and higher and higher and higher and higher price tags. In other words, we the consumer will be getting the "ever and ever" shorter end of the stick in the process. >> Making them 'accountable' and trying to keep them "competitive" in a competitively motivated, consumer driven market. Those are the main objectives, I suppose, of any and every Consumer Advocate, including myself. Regardless of whether the item(s) in question are treated as an investment or not.

Best,
Mike

#243656 - 10/02/08 10:03 PM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used to routinely spend 5-15,000 dollars for an organ, not to mention leslies, dollies, and trailers to haul them in. And those dollars were probably worth at least twice what they are today. An organ cost way more than a new car!
ALL these keyboards are tremendous bargains. I don't believe Ketron has priced the Audya yet, though everybody seems to think they have. I think it would be hard to do since they haven't finished producing it.
Even after the first arrangers came out and I could finally quit lugging organs around, it was necessary to carry so much extra gear.
For example, I had an early PSR, maybe 6100 or 6300. It was midied to an external drum machine (Alesis, I think), a Yamaha SPX 90 that I used for pitch shift on the vocals, of course midi foot pedals were necessary to control it. Then add DX7 for decent lead sounds, an Yamaha TX81Z tone module, and FBO 1 piano module, external effects modules, huge heavy PA system, etc., etc.
All this added up to WAY more than any of the top-of-the-line arrangers and my Bose L1 system. Plus this stuff weighs a fraction as much and sounds better.
Just think, with most of the new boards, you get a sophisticated mixer, harmonizer, several effects units, midi file player, maybe MP3 or WAV player, sequencer, recorder, text display, video outputs, virtually unlimited storage, big easy-to-read displays---the list goes on and on. They are all bargains!!
By the way, the lowly PSRS900 has almost everything listed above, for what, $1,500?
A Ketron Midjay is an amazing piece of gear for the same price. My Roland E50 is even less (of course it does less, but sounds great.) It's just a matter of which one best suits your needs and a matter of priorities as to where you spend your money.
A new bass boat like mine costs $25,000. I bought mine a couple of years used for $5,000. Just think, I have $20,000 I "saved" to spend on music stuff!!!
DonM

#243657 - 10/03/08 07:44 AM Re: Tyros3 vs. Roland G-70 vs. Ketron

Ah, Mason...is that what "don't that float yer boat" means?

Russ "smart ass" Lay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online