SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#242399 - 09/10/08 01:10 PM A few questions for Ian
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Ian, you've responded to nearly every negative post on Yamaha and although the Tyros is a great instrument, I sometimes find that your praise borders on the cultish. It's one thing to prefer the T3 over every other keyboard, but sometimes it seems that you think that every feature on Yamaha is light years ahead of anything else.

So, if you don't mind, a couple of questions to clarify your position:

- Which keyboard, (between Korg, Yamaha, Roland and Ketron), do you think has the best drums?

- Can you name three things you've seen on another board that you'd like to see in the Tyros?

- Do you think that this T3 release is as revolutionary as the T2 release was?

- What is / was your position at Yamaha?

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 09-10-2008).]

#242400 - 09/10/08 01:23 PM Re: A few questions for Ian
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Ian, you've responded to nearly every negative post on Yamaha and although the Tyros is a great instrument, I sometimes find that your praise borders on the cultish. It's one thing to prefer the T3 over every other keyboard, but sometimes it seems that you think that every feature on Yamaha is light years ahead of anything else.

So, if you don't mind, a couple of questions to clarify your position:

- Which keyboard, (between Korg, Yamaha, Roland and Ketron), do you think has the best drums?

- Can you name three things you've seen on another board that you'd like to see in the Tyros?

- Do you think that this T3 release is as revolutionary as the T2 release was?

- What is / was your position at Yamaha?

1. Roland for "live" play...Yamaha for recording, although I have yet to try the T3's kits...they may prove great for "live" as well.

2. Roland's style make-up tools, Korg's Guitar mode, Roland's Chord Sequencer(on earlier instruments).

3. No...the T2 was a big step above the T1...the T3 is more of an evolutionary step, although it is an impressive step, nevertheless.

4. Clinician/demonstrator for Yamaha Canada in Atlantic Canada...presently on "ease back" having been on sick leave since last June 4th, 2007.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-10-2008).]

#242401 - 09/10/08 02:25 PM Re: A few questions for Ian
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
1. Roland for "live" play...Yamaha for recording, although I have yet to try the T3's kits...they may prove great for "live" as well.

2. Roland's style make-up tools, Korg's Guitar mode, Roland's Chord Sequencer(on earlier instruments).

3. No...the T2 was a big step above the T1...the T3 is more of an evolutionary step, although it is an impressive step, nevertheless.

4. Clinician/demonstrator for Yamaha Canada in Atlantic Canada...presently on "ease back" having been on sick leave since last June 4th, 2007.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-10-2008).]

Thank you for your honest reply.

I think that the major issue here for the T3 bashers (including me), is not that its a bad keyboard, but that they missed very important opportunities for this upgrade. With minimal effort, they could have made the T3 the supreme ruler of all arranger boards. That's what I was expecting for the last 3 years, so this is a major, major disappointment. I cannot imagine waiting another 3 years for another incremental change like this, so although I'm thinking of buying the T3, my primary plan is to start weaning off Yamaha.

Based on your answers I assume that you can definitely identify with the disappointment many of us T2 users have with the T3.

(And btw, the guitar mode on Korg is amazing. Whichever keyboard I end up using for performances, I'm still going to use the Korg to make the MIDI guitar tracks even for the Yamaha.)

#242402 - 09/10/08 02:49 PM Re: A few questions for Ian
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:

Based on your answers I assume that you can definitely identify with the disappointment many of us T2 users have with the T3.

(And btw, the guitar mode on Korg is amazing. Whichever keyboard I end up using for performances, I'm still going to use the Korg to make the MIDI guitar tracks even for the Yamaha.)

Perhaps there will be a few disappointed T2 users, just as there were among 3k users when the S900 came out, although after trying the latter, there were many converts....I was one of them.

Perhaps you should reserve your final judgement(like I'm doing) till you actually play the T3...the demos are great, and pique the interest, but we need to have hands on to really get the experience.

Yes, the Korg Guitar Mode seems to be the cat's meow...it is definitely a step in the right direction for arrangers.

I'm looking forward to checking out the T3's guitar voicing in the Style Creator...that should give great results.

The bottom line is we all have to choose what works best for our ears and our needs...even if I wasn't doing work for Yamaha, I'd still be using the product...I love the sound, the OS, and the third party support.

I was using Yamaha before I was hired, and already enthusiastic about it...and very biased towards it as well.

Ian

#242403 - 09/10/08 03:03 PM Re: A few questions for Ian
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
They ought to put a 'sticky' on this thread, and put the "Ian bashing' to rest once and for all... at least in regard to his employment!

#242404 - 09/10/08 05:38 PM Re: A few questions for Ian
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hi Ian...

When do you think you might get a T3 for testing/evaluation?

Lee

#242405 - 09/10/08 06:38 PM Re: A few questions for Ian
ianmcnll Offline

Not sure, Lee...it depends on availability, and I'm just a little spoke in a great big wheel.

I sure am looking forward to giving it a spin.

Ian

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online