SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#241190 - 08/27/08 07:13 PM New KORG OS .........
Dnj Offline

Quote:YPKO forum...

"Hi all,
Allan, I was interested what you said about the Korg PA800. I am not sure if you are aware, but in September a new operating system is being released for this keyboard ( and the PA2X ). Korg are making bold statements about the revolutionary features this new O/S will bring. Although they will not be specific. They just say that it will redefine future keyboard design.
They are probably concerned about the effects that T3 will have on sales.
Chris"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-27-2008).]

#241191 - 08/27/08 08:00 PM Re: New KORG OS .........
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Pa2X/Pa800 Operating System Version 2 soon to be released

OSIMO (Italy) — Heard the rumours? We are hard at work on a new operating system for the Pa2X Pro/Pa800 packed with exciting new features that will make you think it is a whole new keyboard.

Except, we are saving you the money and putting these features into a no charge upgrade!

Want to know more? Then look out for Saturday September 13 when we will be publishing details of the incredible new features we plan for OS2 – and also the date it should be available for download!

Please stay tuned!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#241192 - 08/27/08 08:25 PM Re: New KORG OS .........
zuki Offline

Yipppppeeeeee

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#241193 - 08/27/08 08:59 PM Re: New KORG OS .........
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Nobody from Korg that I know of has said anything about "Redfine keyboard design"....
Here is the direct quote from the Korg Webpage
Pa2X/Pa800 Operating System Version 2 soon to be released

OSIMO (Italy) — Heard the rumours? We are hard at work on a new operating system for the Pa2X Pro/Pa800 packed with exciting new features that will make you think it is a whole new keyboard.

Except, we are saving you the money and putting these features into a no charge upgrade!

Want to know more? Then look out for Saturday September 13 when we will be publishing details of the incredible new features we plan for OS2 – and also the date it should be available for download!

Please stay tuned!

The Korg Italy Team

Anything else, I suspect is pure hyperbole and excitement from keen users/demonstrators.

Dennis

#241194 - 08/27/08 11:45 PM Re: New KORG OS .........
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Should be at Pakefield

Bill

#241195 - 08/28/08 02:51 AM Re: New KORG OS .........
to the genesys Offline

I guess Korg and Yamaha are both doing software upgrades.
The difference is that Yamaha is smart to fool people and make it seem as if they are making a new keyboard (T2 - T3).

#241196 - 08/28/08 05:02 AM Re: New KORG OS .........
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Now if only Roland would release thier TOTLA keyboard combined with the new Ketron Audya, we'd have a humdinger of a time in the next 6 months with evaluating all these wonderful products.

I have to admit I'm pretty happy with the Pa2xpro as it is, but the OS could use some tweaks and refinement.

------------------
Al Giordano
Visit us at ARRANGER WORLD! http://www.arrangerworld.com

Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland TD-12 Vdrums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#241197 - 08/28/08 05:24 AM Re: New KORG OS .........
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Now if only Roland would release thier TOTLA keyboard combined with the new Ketron Audya, we'd have a humdinger of a time in the next 6 months with evaluating all these wonderful products.

I have to admit I'm pretty happy with the Pa2xpro as it is, but the OS could use some tweaks and refinement.

Likewise I'm happy with the Pa2xPro, but the greater the menu choices the better. Should be a fun time the next 6 months.

#241198 - 08/28/08 07:14 AM Re: New KORG OS .........
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Like a whole new keyboard huh?

I wonder what that will entail. If Korg can increase the polyphony by a software update that in itself would give the PA2XPRO a "whole new keyboard" concept. It is also possible that Korg will "add" additional preset combi's or improve some of the existing combi's perhaps. Likewise the Drums as well, along with additional Styles and them 'finally' fixing the Fill glitch that everybody complains about. That would sure be a blessing in disguise, no?

I will wait and see what OS 2.0 brings to the table for the PA2XPRO. If it is significant (like adding poly, etc.), I may take the bait and get myself one.

If the Ketron Audya is delayed until January before shipping and if Korg hits a home run with OS 2.0, it might be the final straw that breaks Ketrons back in my opinion, especially because of the huge price discrepancy between the two i.e. $1,400 = $3,699 vs. $5,100 (street price). The only real way, in my opinion, that Ketron could pull out of such a possible foreboding financial setback is if Ketron hits a GRAND SLAM!!! with the Audya. If it happens to indeed be the bees knees and worth every penny, then I could see a WHOLE LOTTA people forking over the dough for one - in the case of Al maybe two. BUT.., the probability of the Audya blowing everything else out of the water in today's totl market is rather low, sorry to say. We'll have to wait and see, but with all the seeming problems Ketron has been having with the Audya e.g. probable bugs, delays, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a white elephant - and a very expensive white elephant at that.

Best,
Mike

#241199 - 08/28/08 07:49 AM Re: New KORG OS .........
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
If the Ketron Audya is delayed until January before shipping and if Korg hits a home run with OS 2.0, it might be the final straw that breaks Ketrons back in my opinion, especially because of the huge price discrepancy between the two i.e. $1,400 = $3,699 vs. $5,100 (street price). The only real way, in my opinion, that Ketron could pull out of such a possible foreboding financial setback is if Ketron hits a GRAND SLAM!!! with the Audya. If it happens to indeed be the bees knees and worth every penny, then I could see a WHOLE LOTTA people forking over the dough for one - in the case of Al maybe two. BUT.., the probability of the Audya blowing everything else out of the water in today's totl market is rather low, sorry to say. We'll have to wait and see, but with all the seeming problems Ketron has been having with the Audya e.g. probable bugs, delays, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a white elephant - and a very expensive white elephant at that.

Best,
Mike

I don't care who the manufacturer of an MI product is or how great it is perceived, at $5000+ there will NEVER be a "whole lotta people forking over dough for one". In this world cheap sells and that's why products like the PSR-S900 sell well. Price point is often the number one factor that drives sales and manufacturers know that. Manufacturers such as Ketron are trying for a niche market where the product wont sell in droves but if it is successful, will sell enough to make Ketron a profit and allow them to continue working on the next TOTL arranger.

I commend companies like Ketron, Wersi, Lionstracs, and Korg (with the Oasys) who have the balls to have so much belief in a product that they will manufacture and market keyboards that most people cannot or will not ever purchase due to price alone. The Korg Oasys was a fine example of that. At $8500 retail it was so expensive that no matter how great it was or wasn't, the sales figures were never going to be off the charts. Korg sold a reasonable amount of Oasys keyboards but was it enough to cover the R&D for the Oasys alone? I seriously doubt it. What Korg will do is share parts of the Oasys technology with their lower end keyboards and use those products to reap profit. The M3 is an example of that.

Automobile manufacturers use these same marketing techniques. They'll design a concept super car that few if anyone can ever afford so that they can have much of the technology trickle down into their lower end models. The concept cars raise a lot of attention for the company and help with marketing but selling the concept car is often not even a reality.

I remember back in the mid 1980's Casio (yes Casio) made a sampler that was rumored to be on par with the likes of Fairlight and Synclavier. Had Casio been able to market that sampler at a fraction of the Fairlight or Synclavier's cost, they'd have had a winner on their hands. The reality was that there was no way to manufacture a product of that nature any cheaper, Casio only made the concept sampler to show that even they could compete with the big boys. Later some of that sampling and synthesizer Technology Casio developed trickled down to the FZ, RZ, CZ, and SK Series which sold quite well for Casio.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online