SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#241025 - 08/26/08 08:34 AM Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
Dnj Offline

Post from YPKO forum
......."returned to the MIAC Show today for a second look at the T3. This time I had a better Digital Camera. I am posting 7 photos….first 3 in this Post (max of 1500kb per post I understand) and the last 4 in a followup post(s)

Unfortunately, today was even noisier than yesterday so it was still difficult to fully evaluate the Sound quality even with headphones on. The built-in Demo in the T3 has a
Comparison of some T2 vs T3 sounds….Piano, Organ and a few more. In general the T3 sounds seem to be more dynamic and even more realistic as far as I could tell (given the surrounding noise). The improved DSP is supposed to enhance (fuller sounding) even the sounds/voices which have not been changed. The Demos sound very good but I suspect they have been heavily edited using Sequencing software…don’t think most players will be able to reproduce those results playing the T3 live. However the two new SA2 buttons should be a great help for expressive playing and Yamaha’s demonstrator Blake used them in a nice demo of the SA2 Breathy Sax despite the fact that he had not had much time to practice with the T3….I can’t wait to hear demos from people like Michel Vonken in Europe!
The SA2 voices were available for Sax , Clarinet, Irish Pipe and Harmonica and they all sounded great. Some of the Piano, Organ, Guitar, Flute and Drum sounds are new/improved.. but they are not listed as SA2 voices. However they still sound very good.
Re The Styles from the T2….they seem to be all there. Some(most?) of them are supposed to have been tweaked/improved a bit but I could not tell with all the surrounding noise.

The on/off Power button is now on the rear panel.

Re Prices…..www.zzounds.com is advertising the T3 in the US for $3900USD …they state that the List price is $4,900 USD

For those who don’t already have a T2, getting a T3 for about the same price as a T2 I think is a pretty good deal….more features and improved quality for the same price(at least in North America). For those already owning a T2 and thinking of upgrading, I guess it comes down to factors such as:
-Price of T3 vs T2 in your country
-How much can you get for a Trade-in of your T2
-What’s your perceived value of the new features and improvements ( 80Gb HD, new improved screen, sliders, USB2, LAN port, rounded shape, SA2 , new styles, new voices etc) For many people it will come down to whether they feel the T3 sounds and plays much better than the T2 (which I feel is still a very good sounding keyboard).
Because of the surrounding noise problem I am sorry I cannot yet give a confident opinion of how much better the T3 sounds over the T2. You all will soon have your chance to try the T3 (hopefully in quieter surroundings) and make up your minds.
Finally some comforting comments. The production model T3 never crashed or hung up while I was there. Everything seemed to work well and hopefully this augers well for the reliability of the T3. My only complaint was the “non-intuitive” way the sliders worked sometimes when changing numerical level values (see comments in my first post). Might be faster to just use the Up/Down buttons like you already do with the T2. However for controlling the Drawbars, the sliders were reliable and worked quite well. Hope you find this Update and pics useful."

Allan http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=15125.0

[

#241026 - 08/26/08 09:10 AM Re: Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I'll reserve my decision on whether or not to buy a Tyros 3 until I actually play one in person. The specifications don't impress me but perhaps the board will in person.

From the reviewers post it seems as if the reviewer wasn't overly impressed with the Tyros 3 and they saw and played the Tyros 3 first hand. As they suggested it's probably going to be a good purchase for someone who doesn't already own a Tyros 2 but for those that do, it may not be enough of an upgrade to make the jump.

On another note... Why is it that so many people complain that the Ketron Audya's list price is too high at $5500 when the Tyros 3's list price is right at $5000? For $500 difference in list price the Audya seems to be offering a hell of a lot more features and from the photos a much better build quality.

I'm sure the smart shopper would be able to purchase a Ketron Audya for near or below the street price of a Tyros 3. Just something to consider given the price point.

#241027 - 08/26/08 09:10 AM Re: Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Sorry, double post

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 08-26-2008).]

#241028 - 08/26/08 11:04 AM Re: Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The price is in the Us so high because youre
dollar is Low ! Ask Bush why :-)
Here in europe we paid double prices for our fuel that we realy need in our smal economic cars .

Impuls

#241029 - 08/26/08 11:05 AM Re: Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
We will be attending the Pakefield Seven Night Keyboard Festival 8th September when the T3 will have it's UK launch.

Myself I will certainly NOT be upgrading my T2. The price in the UK is stated to be £3300. If this is true then Yamaha are on the verge of out pricing themselves with not it's production price but lets price the T3 as high as we think buyers will pay.

#241030 - 08/26/08 11:27 AM Re: Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Read the fine print, Ensnareyou...

That's STREET price on the Audya, LIST price on the Yamaha...

#241031 - 08/26/08 02:50 PM Re: Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
mr9000 Offline

DNGWrote:"The on/off Power button is now on the rear panel"

GAzooks!you mean on the rear where all the jacks are?!

iF SO..Yammy:'Head in arse syndrome" ?

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 08-26-2008).]

#241032 - 08/26/08 04:01 PM Re: Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
Diki Offline

What's wrong with it there? That's where MOST keyboards have it. At least you can't lay a music book down on your arranger and it accidentally switches off...

Mind you, the unprotected USB stick port, right next to the end of the keyboard looks like a really bad idea. One over enthusiastic organ smear up the keyboard, and your precious stick drive, and the connector could be toast. Take a look at the GW-8 to see how it SHOULD be done... a recessed, protected, covered USB port.

Yamaha CAN get it wrong, at times...

#241033 - 08/26/08 04:22 PM Re: Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
What's wrong with it there? That's where MOST keyboards have it. At least you can't lay a music book down on your arranger and it accidentally switches off

You'll have to be more descriptive where you are talking about switch then. I'm under the assumption you are saying in the back where the the power cord is somewhere, which to me is blattantly insane!
As for the power accidently being turned off by a book..i have yet to see a switch that isn't reccessed in the panel,making it virtually impossible.

#241034 - 08/26/08 05:48 PM Re: Will you get rid of your T2 for a newT3 after reading this & why?....
Diki Offline

Try and find a pro keyboard where the power switch is anywhere OTHER than the back of the instrument...

I'm curious. Why do you think having a front panel power switch is a plus? Remember, most modern keyboards have a boot up time of anything from a few seconds to a few MINUTES Why risk an accidental power down if you don't HAVE to?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online