SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#240459 - 08/22/08 08:49 AM Re: Promotional Calanders?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I think the major selling point from what Gary said is "stop in and place it in his or her hand." I think same with a cd. In my experience anything you blindly send in the mail or leave on a doorstep you might as well save them a step and put it in the trash yourself. IMHO If I meet someone that hands me something it adds a new dimension.

Russ,
in your research did it make a difference if the item was hand delivered with a brief meeting?

#240460 - 08/22/08 08:53 AM Re: Promotional Calanders?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Absolutely, Mike. Good observation. That's what professional peddlers (factory reps, printer salesmen; most reps, in fact) do.

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-22-2008).]

#240461 - 08/22/08 09:00 AM Re: Promotional Calanders?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
There's been a lot of great points made in this discussion...

After I got my music degree, a few years later I returned to College and got a BSBA in Marketing...I remember a Sales professor comment that there where certain industries, usually smaller operations, where the "sales" team could shoot for a different approach entirely.

His message was basically, "do business without it seeming like your doing business."

I think for many of us, taking care of our clients can fit that. Many of us have long term associations that are at the very least "friendly." Marketing to these type accounts, to me involves making sure the audience is happy with my services, but then also making sure the actual official client is also pleased.

Promotional items, for me, I think would be a little something unexpected that these folks will appreciate.

The more this thread grows, I think I'm more looking for something to say thank you as opposed to anything else. In spite of all the nifty little keychains, pens, etc., I think a short, hand written note of appreciation probably out performs all the other things by a long shot...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#240462 - 08/22/08 09:02 AM Re: Promotional Calanders?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think you're right, Bill. Maby use a note pad with your name/logo printed on it?

Russ

#240463 - 08/22/08 01:10 PM Re: Promotional Calanders?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

One of the things I've always done with new clients is to send them a thank you card after I perform the first time. The card is custom made using Print Shop and printed on photo quality, matte paper. I use the same program to custom print my logo on the outside of the envelope as well.

Additionally, at the end of each season, I send each of my existing clients a custom Christmas card, which is also created using Print Shop. Little things such as these really go a long way.

When I was looking for additional work, I printed up special occasion cards and mailed them out to prospective clients. For example, I have one that on the front page is says in bold, balloon print "30 Good Reasons To Have A Party!" For the background there were balloons, streamers, etc.. that provided a great presentation. On the inside of the card was a list of the upcoming holidays and respective dates, all of which are also listed on my calanders. Of course, there is my name and phone number in bold, red print at the bottom of the card for them to call. This card alone generated two dozen jobs the first time I used it.

The cost of the card is about .25 cents to create, it fits into a 6 X 6 envelope and costs .42 cents to mail. The envelopes can be purcased relatively cheap at places such as Cosco's and BJ's. When the don't have them available, I buy them at Staples.

Until recently I sent mailers out on a quarterly basis, but I now have reduced this to twice a year, plus the calanders and Christmas cards.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#240464 - 08/22/08 03:45 PM Re: Promotional Calanders?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Gary do you mail to clients both past and present and to prospects you've never met?
Or just clients.
In the above post how did you choose the prospective clients?

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 08-22-2008).]

#240465 - 08/22/08 07:25 PM Re: Promotional Calanders?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The promo cards are easy to make and inexpensive so I mail them to everyone on my lists. The master list contains the mailing address and name of the person doin the hiring, and it is updated twice a year by phone. If a current AD changes jobs, I try to visit him or her before their last day on the job, find out where they're going to be working next, wish them well and tell them that I'll be in contact with them when they get settled in. Most of the time they are just moving to a workplace that is a bit closer to home, or one that pays more, but more often than not they tend to stay in the business for many years, especially at the upscale locations.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#240466 - 08/22/08 08:34 PM Re: Promotional Calanders?
Dnj Offline

This is all LAAADEEEEEDAAAAAA.......
I've seen so many people waste their money on all this PR stuff, book a few, jobs then go play the gig & that's where it all comes to a grinding halt....ya know why? because they think they are the cats Meow & after one show they are never called back no matter how many calendars, or whatever they send out.....wanna guess why?
I'll leave that up to you to figure out..

#240467 - 08/22/08 09:23 PM Re: Promotional Calanders?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
This is all LAAADEEEEEDAAAAAA.......
I've seen so many people waste their money on all this PR stuff, book a few, jobs then go play the gig & that's where it all comes to a grinding halt....ya know why? because they think they are the cats Meow & after one show they are never called back no matter how many calendars, or whatever they send out.....wanna guess why?
I'll leave that up to you to figure out..

You paint with a pretty broad brush, don't you?

For those guys who wash out-so what? In any business there will be guys who thrive, guys who can't cut it and then several others in the middle.

I don't think anyone around here thinks that giving a pen or a pad to a client is all that's needed.

I agree, guys who can't back it up won't survive because they hand out neat PR stuff.

The value of it...(small merchandise, hand written thank you cards, whatever...) is that it enhances a business relationship. It can make it more personal. Other than thank you cards and some telephone work, I haven't really dabbled in the other items like pens, calenders, etc. I guess because my schedule is already pretty full without it.

I don't think utilizing these type items guarantees success any more than not using them would doom you...

In the end, I don't see how they could hurt you...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#240468 - 08/22/08 09:57 PM Re: Promotional Calanders?
Dnj Offline

I wish I had a broader brush....

In a way I should be happy the more they screw up out there the more there is for the ones that know what they're doing plain & simple.Whats next? Give out Lollipops!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-22-2008).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online