SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#240384 - 08/20/08 08:56 PM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
Lucky2Bhere Offline

It pains me to be the odd man out, but I never had a problem with Best Buy about "restocking fees." Fact is, I recently purchased a computer monitor screen and had to return it 3 times. There were no questions asked, the transaction was done immediately, I was treated with respect and the clerk was quite courteous. I ended up NOT buying the screen so the final transaction was a refund with NO restocking fee.

In contrast, I bought the screen at Circuit City and had to beg them to allow me to return it "free of charge" if I didn't like what I bought. They'll work with you, but "what a struggle."

I'll stick to Best Buy.

Regards the "bait and switch," I used to do volunteer work for our state Consumer Office and am familiar with consumer law. In the Statutes (of most states, I assume) are consumer laws prohibiting that sort of behavior.

What I do is carry around a copy of all consumer laws (photo-statted from the Statute books) and when they try to pull their "bait & switch" or their "no rainchecks" (another violation) or selling you something that is "not fit for the purpose for which it was sold" I pull out my "Statutes" and they go deathly silent.

I haven't lost a case yet out there in the field. I should have said "mine-field" cause that's what it is these days. You need to be equipped when you go shopping no different than you would be if you were marching off to war!

Lucky

#240385 - 08/20/08 09:49 PM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Now THERE'S an idea... I bet if you walked into Best Buy to return something with a grenade launcher and a belt-fed weapon under your arm, you'd have MUCH less problems getting a refund

#240386 - 08/20/08 10:04 PM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
True that...

Those pimpled slackers will be no more knowledgeable about PSR's and EXR's than they would be about Wersi's.

They don't have to be knowledgeable... that's why Yamaha has the "demo" feature on all their PSR and home keyboards. If they didn't have the "demo" button think how many less arrangers they'd sell.

#240387 - 08/20/08 10:09 PM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If they only had a couple of dealers in the whole USA, think how many fewer arrangers they would sell, too!

#240388 - 08/21/08 02:09 AM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
They don't have to be knowledgeable... that's why Yamaha has the "demo" feature on all their PSR and home keyboards. If they didn't have the "demo" button think how many less arrangers they'd sell.

Bull. Any POS that has to rely on the DEMO-button on any arranger, should quit trying to sell arrangers right away. I will have no trouble at all to fire at least 10 "Is It Possible To...."-questions on the salesguy that he can not answer without having knowledge of the keyboards specific features.

#240389 - 08/21/08 02:35 AM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
I am a BestBuy Junkie! Although, I would never purchase a musical instrument through them.

In the state of CT Bestbuy MUST match the price at the store to the sale prices on the website. They have never tried a bait/switch on me. They normally will tell me if it is not in stock what day it will be in stock and what day their truck arrives with the item.

Also, most people do not know this. If you have a rewards zone card (its free bonus points based on purchases) there is no restocking fee on anything!

I only had issues returning one item. It was resolved quickly.

-Linda

#240390 - 08/21/08 03:05 AM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I've been selling Home and Mobile Electronics for about 15 years. I have yet to go into a Best Buy or have a customer say that they were glad they went there.

The amount of expereince and knowledge is no where to be found, if you know what you want and the model, then yes go and buy it there, if you want some useful information to help you decide what's right for you, then your taking a very big chance.

the fact is BB can not and will not pay enough for highly qualified and knowledgable salespeople, usually people of that quality work as smaller mom and pop store where they can make that money or at least be appreciated until they move on.

dont fall for whole the hype, i have people who work at BB come into my store to purchase and have things installed because they dont trust the people there.

sorry but the BB thing gets under my skin

#240391 - 08/21/08 05:16 AM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
To be fair I don't go to Best Buy for the expertise I go for the price. By the time I walk in the door I know what I'm gonna buy and if they have it. I've done research, I don't "shop" just to "shop".

As for the bait and switch I knew a kid that worked there and when they sold the low price "sale" computers they always ask if you want the service plan if you say no they'd go check and guess what? they just sold the last one and that computer is not in stock.

I've had good luck with them but you have to accept them for what they are.
I have returned things no problem.
I even bought the service policy a couple of times because on a laptop the battery is covered and so far they have replaced two batteries and two computers when I got hit by lightning.

Alot of times I'll buy online with store pickup, so I don't have to deal with the salesmen....salesboys...saleskids

I'm afraid the old music store with a knowledgeable and friendly staff is rapidly becoming a thing of the past and we should support the ones we have left.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 08-21-2008).]

#240392 - 08/21/08 05:37 AM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Here's something else you have to consider (this for some can be a good thing). Sure we'll all have our opinion on retailers such as Best Buy carrying music gear, BUT please understand that although some of us may have reservations about the subject..., this move could be a serious blessing for some.

Many of us (myself included) do not have music stores anywhere within a reasonable drive that carry decent keyboards... We do however have Best Buy's all over the place.., and I got one within 20 minutes of my home. This would allow those potential buyers who could not test drive first..., to get their hands on a decent keyboard to demo. Most of us today have to buy our boards sight unseen as we have no choice. We either have to stick with a brand we've been loyal to for years, or take a chance at something new.

If my Best Buy starts carrying keyboards.., my butt will be there checking them out!

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-21-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#240393 - 08/21/08 07:36 AM Re: Need Music Gear ? How About BEST BUY
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
So many people go to their local music store, if they have one, get a demo, ask questions, then go home and order online to save the sales tax and/or a few bucks.
If BB goes into the music gear business, you could do the opposite. Go there, spend an hour or so with the headphones checking things out, then go home and order from George or Frank!
DonM

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online