SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#239886 - 08/12/08 05:48 PM OT - Like Sax? David Sanborn Interview/Demo
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hey SZ'ers! Any Dave Sanborn fans out there? Here's a nice 6 minute interview with him and some video of him talking about his playing, his career, and playing his alto.
http://embarqmail.com/video/?vendid=31&vendkey=6244ad4637e47a61552f475fa2ff067f

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#239887 - 08/12/08 10:33 PM Re: OT - Like Sax? David Sanborn Interview/Demo
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
That was nice Randy.

Another big star using rubber bands to hold his horn together.haha What's with that anyway? Al Hirt played an Al Hirt model trumpet by Leblanc with fancy engraving and all and what do you see on the front of his record albums? Rubber bands keeping his spit key closed!

Maynard Ferguson, same idea, only in his case, he used black electrical tape to keep his 3rd valve slide from falling off.

Anyway, good music by David.

#239888 - 08/13/08 05:11 AM Re: OT - Like Sax? David Sanborn Interview/Demo
saxxman Offline

Hi Scott - yeah- I've got a rubber band helping the springs on my soprano. But I think Dave's rubber bands are on the neck where it attach's to essentially lengthen the horn. I think the rubber band he is using is keeping his neck pipe from completely seating, which would make the horn a tad lower. Could be that embrachure.

Great guy, great sound, great career!

Randy

PS - have a great week!

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#239889 - 08/13/08 08:16 AM Re: OT - Like Sax? David Sanborn Interview/Demo
Dnj Offline

#239890 - 08/13/08 12:08 PM Re: OT - Like Sax? David Sanborn Interview/Demo
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The guy has survived as a jazz player, playing what it took to survive. Sometimes, it wasn't jazz, but done with a jazz flavor.

He's a survivor and one of my all-time favorites.

Russ

#239891 - 08/13/08 12:23 PM Re: OT - Like Sax? David Sanborn Interview/Demo
saxxman Offline

Capt Russ - Right on! He's a terrific player indeed and one of my favorites as well.

By the way, thanks again so much for the Jamey Aebersold Quartet CD! I was on the road from 22 June through last weekend and plopped it into the DVD player as soon as I got my accumulated mail. A great concert and Jamey is a great educator! Thanks so much again!

Randy

#239892 - 08/13/08 02:12 PM Re: OT - Like Sax? David Sanborn Interview/Demo
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Randy,I told Jamey that you enjoyed the tape, and he said that we're welcome to visit anytime we're in the area (New Albany, Indiana, about 1/12 hours from here).

By the way, I enjoyed the work Sanborn did on a recent Kenny G (UGH) album. He tore up "Pick Up The Pieces".

That's kind of like it is in the real world. Kenny G, who most people who he worked with say can't count to three is making it big, while David just plugs along with respect from the entire music community and Jamey is recording a cable access performance for a local Jazz Arts Society.

At least both Jamey and David have the rightfully earned respect from their peers.

Kind of sad, though, although both have made more than an adequate living, and live with their choices as to where they want to be in the music business.

GOOD FOR THEM!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online