SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#239352 - 08/03/08 01:03 PM Who plays retirement homes?
genesis12 Offline

Loc: Park Ridge, Illinois, USA
My partner and I have been playing music for over 50 years in the Chicagoland area and want to start playing retirement homes. I play the Ketron SD1 and he plays guitar and does the vocals. We've kept pretty busy over the years playing mostly dance music for a variety of posts and lodges but unfortunately the older vets are gradually dying out. Therefore, we're looking to start working retirement homes which we hear is a growing industry. Any suggestions for getting these gigs and the type of venue that goes over well would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gene

#239353 - 08/03/08 03:39 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Greetings Gene,

There are a few of our members that play at Rest Homes. I think Gary "travlin'easy" Diamond still does.

Even though I haven't done any Rest Homes myself I may at some point consider doing it. Because Rest Homes are filled with older people in their 70's, 80's, and 90's, etc. the era of the music most of them listened to was probably a lot of 30's/40's Swing, Jazz, and Big Band. Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, Frank Sinatra, Freddy Martin, Artie Shaw, The King Sisters, Sammy Kay, Vaughn Monroe, to name a few. Another big favorite of Rest Homes is playing and singing Gospel type music.

Don't expect the pay to be generous but if you find favor with the staff of any of the Rest Homes you may be able to aquire an extended contract with them with additional pay incentives.

That said, a lot of people do Rest Homes on an au gratis basis, considering it as giving back to the community or even as a personal ministry.

Either way, you would need to talk to the Director of the Rest Home(s) you are interested in playing at to setup a schedule and answer your questions regarding your engagements if they accept you.

Best,
Mike

#239354 - 08/03/08 05:27 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Gene-

I'm one of the "Nursing Home" guys I guess. If you do a search on nursing homes on Synthzone, I suspect you'll find plenty of very informative threads to review...

Is this for your income or is it a charitable or ministry type venture for you and your partner?

I'll be at this 13 years come Labor Day and in short believe you can make a decent living at it to supplement your weekend schedule. You must be professional, able to interact genuinely to the residents while also proving capable musically.

Our job as entertainers is to stimulate the residents as much as anything else.

The big band stuff is getting to be on the older edge of what the residents want to hear, IMO...

I'd suggest a variety of big band/swing/jazz along with country/oldies/gospel etc. Having something to offer everyone has its advantages. More and more I'm playing tunes from the 60's and 70's with great response.

Good luck, let me know if I can help at all...

Bill

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 08-03-2008).]

#239355 - 08/03/08 06:15 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Stick with the 50s, 60s and some 70s stuff, keep it upbeat and you can't go wrong. Sure, they like some Glenn Miller tunes, but not too many slow ones. Check out http://www.elderlivingsource.com/search/IL and you'll find loads of places to look at.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239356 - 08/04/08 06:09 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Gene, are you referring to retirement communities with active seniors or are you using retirement homes as an umbrella term for nursing homes, care facilities and retirement homes? I have not yet gone in this direction and found you question very interesting. For some reason hidden deep in my psyche I have a hard time dealing with nursing homes and infirmary type places. My hat is off to those here who can perform for the nursing homes; I can't do that - yet.
I would like to start at 55+ active communities and maybe see how things work out there. Is that what you meant with your question?

#239357 - 08/04/08 07:09 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Some good points have been brought up. I do both 55+ and nursing homes. I agree that they both like peppy type music, and not as old as one might think. I play a few of the big band, but they also like country,60's and 70's. The point about interaction is imperative at both venues. I can understand the reluctance to play where many are infirmed. I try to keep in mind that your music means so much to them in an otherwise hum drum life. Also, I remember a visiting wife who came up to me, afterwards, and thanked me profusely for coming, as her husband was a music lover, and just because he couldn't show it, didn't mean he wasn't deeply touched. When I first started, I was put off by the atmosphere, and lack of open responce by the infirmed. I got out of myself, and grew out of that real quick after learning not to judge a book by it's cover.

#239358 - 08/04/08 07:13 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I have not yet gone in this direction and found you question very interesting. For some reason hidden deep in my psyche I have a hard time dealing with nursing homes and infirmary type places. My hat is off to those here who can perform for the nursing homes; I can't do that - yet.
I would like to start at 55+ active communities and maybe see how things work out there.

Cassp- I think Gary would agree with me that the Nursing Home clients we serve are among our favorite and most profitable.

The gigs tend to be very straightforward and quite enjoyable. No drunks, no smoke, etc...Its normal for me to do two jobs a day and still be home for dinner, after depositing a reasonable chunk of cash into my bank, lol...

I certainly enjoy my private parties, club dates, band work, etc. but I really prefer to do the nursing homes/retirement communites/senior centers...

Given your background, you should consider trying a few...

Holler if I can help...

Good luck...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 08-04-2008).]

#239359 - 08/05/08 07:02 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

From an economic standpoint the nursing home, assisted living, senior center and retirement communities are right up there at the top of the list. The payscale in this part of the world ranges from $100 to $150 an hour, which is about the same pay you would earn for a four hour job in an upscale, Italian Restaurant in Baltimore's Little Italy.

From a satisfaction standpoint, the NH circuit is the best. The audiences usually consist of wonderful people who are extremely appreciative, they look forward to each and every performance, and those who are not bound to wheelchairs and walkers love to dance and enjoy themselves. For these individuals when the entertainer shows up it's party time--even if it's 11:00 a.m..

In some instances, particularly at facilities that specialize in Alzheimers Disease, and most of the patients are in the advanced stages, you are playing to both the patients and staff. And, if you play at these locations monthly, you, unfortunately, see the devastating effects of the disease first hand. The patient that was dancing with the staff a few months ago may be asleep in his or her wheelchair and totally unresponsive the next time you see them. Fortunately, at least in this part of the Mid-Atlantic Region, the caregivers provide outstanding service.

The retirement communities where I perform have very active residents, even those who are well into the 80s and early 90s. Granted, the women outnumber the men by a huge margin, but everyone loves to dance, they are upbeat and positive about life, and they too are always looking forward to your next performance.

There's a huge contrast between performing the niteclub/bar/restaurant circuit and the NH circuit, both in working environment and payscale. I've done both and if given the choice, I'll take the NH circuit--no contest.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#239360 - 08/05/08 07:28 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
From an economic standpoint the nursing home, assisted living, senior center and retirement communities are right up there at the top of the list. The payscale in this part of the world ranges from $100 to $150 an hour, which is about the same pay you would earn for a four hour job in an upscale, Italian Restaurant in Baltimore's Little Italy.

From a satisfaction standpoint, the NH circuit is the best. The audiences usually consist of wonderful people who are extremely appreciative, they look forward to each and every performance, and those who are not bound to wheelchairs and walkers love to dance and enjoy themselves. For these individuals when the entertainer shows up it's party time--even if it's 11:00 a.m..

In some instances, particularly at facilities that specialize in Alzheimers Disease, and most of the patients are in the advanced stages, you are playing to both the patients and staff. And, if you play at these locations monthly, you, unfortunately, see the devastating effects of the disease first hand. The patient that was dancing with the staff a few months ago may be asleep in his or her wheelchair and totally unresponsive the next time you see them. Fortunately, at least in this part of the Mid-Atlantic Region, the caregivers provide outstanding service.

The retirement communities where I perform have very active residents, even those who are well into the 80s and early 90s. Granted, the women outnumber the men by a huge margin, but everyone loves to dance, they are upbeat and positive about life, and they too are always looking forward to your next performance.

There's a huge contrast between performing the niteclub/bar/restaurant circuit and the NH circuit, both in working environment and payscale. I've done both and if given the choice, I'll take the NH circuit--no contest.

Good Luck,

Gary

Ditto to everything Gary said, other than the pay rate where I'm located is more like $75 to $125 for the hour.

I love the mid afternoon weekend gigs I do at nursing homes audiences love what I play. With a full time job it's great to pull into a NH home mid afternoon on the weekend, play the hour then be back at home and still be able to have the evening free.

I sometimes play mid afternoon at an NH near where I work, I skip lunch one day then take 2 hour lunch the next day, can't beat it. Of course it helps to have an understanding boss on the day job. Today after I leave the office I have an outdoor birthday party I'm playing at an NH 5:30 to 6:30 PM and can still be home to have dinner with the family.

#239361 - 08/05/08 08:00 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I don't play nursing homes, Assisted Living places, etc. Around here, the only people who play these kinds of jobs do it because they really don't have the skills to do anything else. I have heard good performers in other areas, but the few who work here do it for little money and with negligible talent

What I do is play a job a week and have the client make out a check to an organization that lobbies for nursing home reform. That way, individuals get a tax deduction and corporations feel good about their assistance. I am very active in this organization and am their biggest contributor.

I have been a primary caregiver of relatives in nursing homes for over 14 years. I make daily visits and have been to many. What an eyeopener! When you really take a look at the level of care; from the expensive, "snoot" places, to the one who primarily service Medicaid residents, most are pretty pathetic.

This country desperately needs minimum care standards and much stronger compliance regulations, but the nursing home industry is very strong and fights any attempt at oversight.

I believe my time is better spent trying to fix the problems.

Russ

Note: While this work is not for me, I admire those of us who do it with the care and commitment these folks deserve.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-05-2008).]

#239362 - 08/05/08 08:01 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bill, Gary and Steve,

Your comments are very refreshing and encouraging. I will do my best to get my courage and persona and try a few of these venues. I know my setlist is perfect for these places - yes, I do have lighter rock, pop and standards in there.

This year I've enjoying my summer so much that I have given little thought to playing out because of small trips sprinkled here and there. As things settle down in the fall i shoulod have more time to concentrate on playing. Thanks for all you great insights.

#239363 - 08/05/08 08:23 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Offline

Tip:........

Don't be naive in this game....Call a few NH's...ask the AD when their TOP Entertainers will be performing there....then go see a few of them (incognito), see what they do.......after that, make sure Your Act is WAY above theirs in every way Vocally & Musically its imperative

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-05-2008).]

#239364 - 08/05/08 08:42 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

Good point Donny. Lots of entertainers never do this, or they tend to play things they like to play instead of what their audiences want to hear, which is a huge mistake.

Gary

#239365 - 08/05/08 09:03 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
genesis12 Offline

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments(especially Bill, Gary and Steve). It's greatly appreciated. This is a terrific group.

To answer some of your questions...We want to supplement our retirement income but, we're also willing to do some charitable work. Whether it be retirement communities or nursing homes doesn't matter.

Do any of you play two piece at these jobs or are you playing solo? How does two piece affect your pay? Also, who sets the pay scale or is it negotiable? When you first contact them, do you give them references that they can call or an audition CD?

Gene

#239366 - 08/05/08 09:09 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Offline

Solo.......two peices cut your pay in half ;

#239367 - 08/05/08 12:40 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Hi Gene,

I started the senior home circut by first visiting a few places and checking out their entertainment. In most cases I learned what
entertainers charged by introducing myself, telling them why I was there, and asking questions. In every case, the response was congenial.

I then learned the name of the activity director, the address, and phone number... then called to speak with the AD (keep calling till you make direct contact), introduced myself, and in a few days sent a brief letter similar to the following:

"Dear Kelly,

This is to follow-up on our recent conversation and further introduce myself and my music. I’ve been entertaining for over 30 years and recently started performing at senior facilities. I sing and play the new Ketron arranger keyboard that sounds like anything from a grand piano to a full band. Knowing thousands of songs allows me to perform all styles of music from the 40s, 50s and 60s (plus 70s through today), bringing seniors the enjoyment that only their music provides.

Enclosed is a listing of recent area appearances. Feel free to call any of the them for a reference or to call me for additional information and for available dates."

Of course, the second paragraph can be included only after you've played a few performances.

Keep your fees at the average going rate, or perhaps *slightly* less than average to start out, but then immediately adjust the fee as soon as you can include that second paragraph. Since starting our ~ 6 years ago, I've increased my fees 4 times with no problem. (More frequent, lower increment fee increases are better than trying to make a larger adjustment after several years.) Tell them about the cost of gas and they immediately understand.

For your first performance, your playlist should be dynamite - the best of the best - mostly upbeat songs from the 40s through the 60s, a few country (old country), at least one polka, with the closing song something that'll stick in their mind and keep them humming the rest of the day. Have fun and good luck,

Glenn

#239368 - 08/05/08 01:58 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Ditto to all of the good comments on retirement homes. I got in on the thread a little late so don't have much to add that hasn't been covered except to say that it is some of the most gratifying work I have ever done. And I have pretty much covered the waterfront. Cass, you'd be perfect for it.

Best of luck to all,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#239369 - 08/05/08 02:26 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Don't be fooled that quality musicians don't play nursing homes - just ask me

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#239370 - 08/05/08 07:31 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by genesis12:
1) Do any of you play two piece at these jobs or are you playing solo? 2) How does two piece affect your pay? 3) Also, who sets the pay scale or is it negotiable? 4) When you first contact them, do you give them references that they can call or an audition CD?

Gene

1) Most often I'm performing Solo, occasionally I'll bring a Duo and for special facility events, I'll use my quartet...

2) Usually, I add their fee to my base charge. So, if I'm paying a guy, in our area to come in and play sax for an hour, and that's it, I'll try and get him at least $50-$75...

3) Its as negotiable as either one of us wants/needs it to be. If I say $125 for an hour and she counters $100, then the ball is in my court...Usually, I'll reason that do I want to lose $100 over $25? Probably not, but once I concede on price, then its a good time to ask for something in return like multiple bookings.

If I play 2 gigs a year at $125/ea. vs, 6 gigs a year at $100, then the take-home profit is very acceptable. ($250 vs. $600) I don't always insist on top dollar in this market. Generating a healthy amount of repeat business is very valuable.

4) I'll kind of do both...Providing they have internet access, I'll refer them to my website. Once they see my client list, testimonials and schedule-they know I'm legit. If they don't, I'll offer references up. Usually, from utilizing good listening skills, I can find someone else they know in the business who I've done work for...

I've also had some AD's say "I can tell from talking to you you know what you're doing.."

Questions like "how many beds is your facility" when they ask you about price or "What acuity level are most of your residents?" also demonstrate knowledge and experience...

NOTE: Some will certainly think, and perhaps respond that we should have a fixed price and if they don't meet that price-then we don't do business. That's something that each one of us needs to decide for ourselves. I'm very blessed to have a good reputation and not often get turned down on my original price quote. Fact of the matter is not all facilities have the same activities budget for entertainment. Many are census driven (i.e. When budgetary dollars are increased/decreased depending on the percentage of the occupancy of the facility.) One price, IMO, really can't be expected to work for all your clients...(If someone out there does have a rigid fee they always get, I'd suggest they may be under-pricing themselves or not doing this for a living?)

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 08-05-2008).]

#239371 - 08/05/08 10:23 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

======================================================================
QUOTE:

Dnj

Don't be naive in this game....Call a few NH's...ask the AD when their TOP Entertainers will be performing there....then go see a few of them (incognito), see what they do.......after that, make sure Your Act is WAY above theirs in every way Vocally & Musically its imperative
-------------
travlin'easy

Good point Donny. Lots of entertainers never do this, or they tend to play things they like to play instead of what their audiences want to hear, which is a huge mistake.

Gary

END OF QUOTE:
===========================================================================

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 08-08-2008).]

#239372 - 08/06/08 05:55 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Great reading

Since I'm fairly new to the scene, I can explain my M.O. I dug in and got my first job on 2/07 and now am at 58 jobs for 8/08.

This is my 2nd year on the elderly circuit. I had to pay my dues because no one ever heard of me. I made phone calls ALL DAY. I sent follow up letters, stating the few references I had. I took what I could to get in the door (typically about $75 - $80 the first time around). I wrote thank you letters after each performance and mailed a hard copy to the AD. In my opinion, you really don't need anything to start other than a business card and nice form letter.

If you go in with the goods and give quality entertainment (there's more threads on what to do live), you will get enough bookings in return to make a decent living.

My 2nd year, I've done the very same thing. I never, never quit prospecting for new places, simply because there are ones I need to weed out (sadly, due to the impossible, undependable AD and staff, not the residents who deserve better) and attrition.

My song list is growing and needs to be the constant for success - I'm playing many places monthly now and cannot become stale.

It took me 2 years to get in one local facility. I played it and they called me the next day asking if I wanted to secure (2) Fridays a month, as they're opening a Bistro. You never know

I've picked up on a few private parties from visitors during a performance - a little extra unsuspected goodie

With that, there are still many facilities I can't get in. They've never heard me, will not believe in what I say, are stuck in their ways and really don't care about their residents, imo. This is so annoying

But that's what brings out the bulldog I continue to think of new ideas to reach everyone. Right now, I have enough, but not enough to have the cream established.

It sure is a blessing to play for the elderly. They really need us.

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 08-06-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#239373 - 08/06/08 07:55 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Zuki-

How far North are you coming these days?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239374 - 08/06/08 09:18 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Offline

All this stuff is just that, STUFF! Yes you can draw a bit here & there from it but there is no clone wars going on in the NH entertainment business....you have to carve out YOUR OWN show using YOUR OWN talents....
I just use NH gigs to fill in my busy big job venue schedule.....believe me if your good enough AD's will seek you out, if your just run of the mill its up to you to seek them out which is a job in itself & definitly not worth the time & effort in the end monetarily with time spent, traveling, gas, for the small pay for a
1 hr show so less work more pay is the key is where the profit lies......NH's are a small fraction of the OMB gig circuit to make it you have to be able to be multifaceted for all occasions big time.

Good luck to all who seek

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-06-2008).]

#239375 - 08/06/08 04:07 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Ditto to all of the good comments on retirement homes. I got in on the thread a little late so don't have much to add that hasn't been covered except to say that it is some of the most gratifying work I have ever done. And I have pretty much covered the waterfront. Cass, you'd be perfect for it.

Best of luck to all,

Joe

Cass..make sure you carry identification...so they will let you leave the building..

#239376 - 08/06/08 06:02 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
All this stuff is just that, STUFF! Yes you can draw a bit here & there from it but there is no clone wars going on in the NH entertainment business....you have to carve out YOUR OWN show using YOUR OWN talents....
I just use NH gigs to fill in my busy big job venue schedule.....believe me if your good enough AD's will seek you out, if your just run of the mill its up to you to seek them out which is a job in itself & definitly not worth the time & effort in the end monetarily with time spent, traveling, gas, for the small pay for a
1 hr show so less work more pay is the key is where the profit lies......NH's are a small fraction of the OMB gig circuit to make it you have to be able to be multifaceted for all occasions big time.

Good luck to all who seek

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-06-2008).]

This sounds well and good, but this thread is for someone just starting out. I bet my last dollar that years ago you worked hard and paid your dues to get those ADs to now call you. NO ONE waltzes in a place, blows them away and waits for the phone to ring....I can't imagine not working my tail off, both by continuous marketing and practicing. There are too many others out there seeking an income.

#239377 - 08/06/08 06:07 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Zuki-

How far North are you coming these days?

Hi Bill,

About as far as you travel south I just tell prospects that I kind of do what Bill Corfield does and they say "you're hired"

#239378 - 08/06/08 06:08 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
This sounds well and good, but this thread is for someone just starting out. I bet my last dollar that years ago you worked hard and paid your dues to get those ADs to now call you. NO ONE waltzes in a place, blows them away and waits for the phone to ring....I can't imagine not working my tail off, both by continuous marketing and practicing. There are too many others out there seeking an income.

Also keep in mind NJ/Philly metro area isn't SW Ohio...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239379 - 08/06/08 06:11 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Hi Bill,

About as far as you travel south I just tell prospects that I kind of do what Bill Corfield does and they say "you're hired"

Oh god....That's funny...

I was in Hyde Park this week...We should consider sharing some contacts that make geographical sense sometimes.

At the very least, hook up for lunch or something...

Drop me an email if interested...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239380 - 08/06/08 06:12 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Good one Fran! I almost didn't make it out of one the other day. There's a 95 year old lady there who keeps telling me, "If you ever get tired of your wife, let me know, I've got money." The hell of it is, I think she's serious.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#239381 - 08/06/08 06:32 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Offline

Quote:

Let me tell you a story Zuki.......this afternoon I performed at a facility thats a regular client of mine....I just happened to take another road to go home that was unfamiliar to me ....as I was driving I noticed two brand new facilities within 500 feet of each other that I never been to...I said Hmmmmmm?.....pulled in the driveway, left my SUV running walked in, introduced myself, asked for the AD, gave her my card, she asked me what I did I told her to just go on my website & she did while I was standing there listened a few demos and started to sing along smiling & says this would be perfect for my residents.....turned back to me and booked 4 jobs! Sometimes its a easy as that if you have the goods.....it can also blow up in your face if you dont. I wish you luck out there but try to expand your services to include many different venues if you really want to succeed each will make up deficits down the road that will fill your calender.
A quality Website also will contribute to your tool box big time for many scenarios where you cant show off live.

Good Luck

#239382 - 08/06/08 06:37 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Let me tell you a story Zuki.......this afternoon I performed at a facility thats a regular client of mine....I just happened to take another road to go home that was unfamiliar to me ....as I was driving I noticed two brand new facilities within 500 feet of each other that I never been to...I said Hmmmmmm?.....pulled in the driveway, left my SUV running walked in, introduced myself, asked for the AD, gave her my card, she asked me what I did I told her to just go on my website & she did while I was standing there listened a few demos and started to sing along smiling & says this would be perfect for my residents.....turned back to me and booked 4 jobs! Sometimes its a easy as that if you have the goods.....it can also blow up in your face if you dont. I wish you luck out there but try to expand your services to include many different venues if you really want to succeed each will make up deficits down the road that will fill your calender.
A quality Website also will contribute to your tool box big time for many scenarios where you cant show off live.

Good Luck

Zuki's been doing this just a few years...guys like you, Gary and myself have been doing this for 10-15-20+ years...

I agree completely about a website. It takes a relatively small investment these days to set up a nice, functional one that can really pay off.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239383 - 08/06/08 06:49 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I agree completely about a website. It takes a relatively small investment these days to set up a nice, functional one that can really pay off.

A Website in today's computer world is a must today Bill as you already know ...especially for the times people don't know you or what you do as a musician & your services. It acts as your personal worldwide Business card & just another great tool in your musical arsenal.....it has benefited me is so many way through the years.

Good Luck

#239384 - 08/06/08 07:35 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Donny,

Where or what 'other' venues do you play?

#239385 - 08/06/08 07:37 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Good one Fran! I almost didn't make it out of one the other day. There's a 95 year old lady there who keeps telling me, "If you ever get tired of your wife, let me know, I've got money." The hell of it is, I think she's serious.

Joe

Can you drop me her name and phone number? I want more gear

#239386 - 08/06/08 08:11 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Gene-

Another thing to be prepared for is the "RDG" other wise known as the Resident Death Grip...

Every so often, you'll be shaking hands with people after your gig and someone, usually a woman, doesn't want to let go.

Sometimes you can slide her hand off of yours, sometimes you have to peel off her fingers one by one.

Another technique that I've used is to say "Hey, can you touch your nose with your finger?" 9 out of 10 times, they let go...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239387 - 08/06/08 09:28 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

The good news is that the worst of this job is still better than any other job!

#239388 - 08/06/08 10:38 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Then there's hiring the cheapest acts they can find, and balancing it out with 1-2 top notch acts every month so no one notices...

The trick is becoming one of the top 1-2 top notch acts, eh?

I agree, the turnover in AD's is getting faster and faster. I see so many young ones coming in and then being gone by the time I come back in 2-3 months, its almost commonplace...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239389 - 08/07/08 07:08 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

Lucky,

Yes, things have really changed during the past year, especially with budgets and AD's being changed every couple months. Fortunately, there seems to be more, new facilities being built in this part of the world than anyone can imagine, all of which are potentially new clients.

I've already begin working on my 2009 bookings, and as of this morning, 48 jobs are on the books for 2009--including NYE. Today's job is a new location for me, and I'm relatively sure they'll book once a month for 2009. Same goes for tomorrow's job, which is at an upscale retirement community where I perform every month--they said to bring my 2009 calander. THIS IS THE TIME OF YEAR TO BEGIN BOOKING 2009--NOT NOVEMBER OR DECEMBER. By then, most of the entertainment for 2009 will already be booked and the only thing left is the scraps.

The biggest problem in this part of the nation is there are folks that play for little or nothing, and the ADs hire them based upon price--NOT TALENT! Some can't sing, some can't play, and most cannot do either very well. Unfortunaely, they still nibble away at the ADs overall budget, which leaves very little for their top performers.

Zuki is right in saying you have to constantly market yourself and your product. This is just one of many important aspects of being successful in this business. When Donny walked into the new facility and made contact with the AD he was utilizing one of the most effective marketing tools available--direct contact. He then utilized his sales ability, provided the AD with instant access to view his product, and was fortunate enough to get in on the ground floor.

Gotta go to work,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#239390 - 08/07/08 09:32 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Gary,

You and most of the others here have your fingers right on the pulse. We’re a unique breed, those of us who play these places regularly, and we know how different these jobs are from the standard dance gigs.

#239391 - 08/07/08 01:51 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

Lucky,

I pretty much agree with everything you said. The place I performed today was a first performance, one that came my way because a good friend is very ill and could not do the job. The AD had never heard of me, but she went on the recommendations of my friend. At the end of the job, which went about 20 minutes over the allotted time, she said "I'll call you tomorrow morning and book you for some additional dates if that's OK with you." I love those kind of responses and I'm fairly confident she will have me there on a monthly basis. Plus, I gots lots of handshakes, hugs and kisses from all the ladies attending, both young and old. GOD I LOVE MY JOB!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#239392 - 08/08/08 08:11 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
genesis12 Offline

Dnj,

Can I see your web site?

Thanks,
Gene

#239393 - 08/08/08 10:34 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
http://www.donnypesce.com/

Wow! I got a URL in before Donny!

#239394 - 08/08/08 10:37 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Offline

Diki your too late! I emailed the site privately to Gene this morning
But thank you anyway.

Btw Diki dont you have a website also?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-08-2008).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online