SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#239372 - 08/06/08 05:55 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Great reading

Since I'm fairly new to the scene, I can explain my M.O. I dug in and got my first job on 2/07 and now am at 58 jobs for 8/08.

This is my 2nd year on the elderly circuit. I had to pay my dues because no one ever heard of me. I made phone calls ALL DAY. I sent follow up letters, stating the few references I had. I took what I could to get in the door (typically about $75 - $80 the first time around). I wrote thank you letters after each performance and mailed a hard copy to the AD. In my opinion, you really don't need anything to start other than a business card and nice form letter.

If you go in with the goods and give quality entertainment (there's more threads on what to do live), you will get enough bookings in return to make a decent living.

My 2nd year, I've done the very same thing. I never, never quit prospecting for new places, simply because there are ones I need to weed out (sadly, due to the impossible, undependable AD and staff, not the residents who deserve better) and attrition.

My song list is growing and needs to be the constant for success - I'm playing many places monthly now and cannot become stale.

It took me 2 years to get in one local facility. I played it and they called me the next day asking if I wanted to secure (2) Fridays a month, as they're opening a Bistro. You never know

I've picked up on a few private parties from visitors during a performance - a little extra unsuspected goodie

With that, there are still many facilities I can't get in. They've never heard me, will not believe in what I say, are stuck in their ways and really don't care about their residents, imo. This is so annoying

But that's what brings out the bulldog I continue to think of new ideas to reach everyone. Right now, I have enough, but not enough to have the cream established.

It sure is a blessing to play for the elderly. They really need us.

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 08-06-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#239373 - 08/06/08 07:55 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Zuki-

How far North are you coming these days?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239374 - 08/06/08 09:18 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Offline

All this stuff is just that, STUFF! Yes you can draw a bit here & there from it but there is no clone wars going on in the NH entertainment business....you have to carve out YOUR OWN show using YOUR OWN talents....
I just use NH gigs to fill in my busy big job venue schedule.....believe me if your good enough AD's will seek you out, if your just run of the mill its up to you to seek them out which is a job in itself & definitly not worth the time & effort in the end monetarily with time spent, traveling, gas, for the small pay for a
1 hr show so less work more pay is the key is where the profit lies......NH's are a small fraction of the OMB gig circuit to make it you have to be able to be multifaceted for all occasions big time.

Good luck to all who seek

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-06-2008).]

#239375 - 08/06/08 04:07 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Ditto to all of the good comments on retirement homes. I got in on the thread a little late so don't have much to add that hasn't been covered except to say that it is some of the most gratifying work I have ever done. And I have pretty much covered the waterfront. Cass, you'd be perfect for it.

Best of luck to all,

Joe

Cass..make sure you carry identification...so they will let you leave the building..

#239376 - 08/06/08 06:02 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
All this stuff is just that, STUFF! Yes you can draw a bit here & there from it but there is no clone wars going on in the NH entertainment business....you have to carve out YOUR OWN show using YOUR OWN talents....
I just use NH gigs to fill in my busy big job venue schedule.....believe me if your good enough AD's will seek you out, if your just run of the mill its up to you to seek them out which is a job in itself & definitly not worth the time & effort in the end monetarily with time spent, traveling, gas, for the small pay for a
1 hr show so less work more pay is the key is where the profit lies......NH's are a small fraction of the OMB gig circuit to make it you have to be able to be multifaceted for all occasions big time.

Good luck to all who seek

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-06-2008).]

This sounds well and good, but this thread is for someone just starting out. I bet my last dollar that years ago you worked hard and paid your dues to get those ADs to now call you. NO ONE waltzes in a place, blows them away and waits for the phone to ring....I can't imagine not working my tail off, both by continuous marketing and practicing. There are too many others out there seeking an income.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#239377 - 08/06/08 06:07 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Zuki-

How far North are you coming these days?

Hi Bill,

About as far as you travel south I just tell prospects that I kind of do what Bill Corfield does and they say "you're hired"

#239378 - 08/06/08 06:08 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
This sounds well and good, but this thread is for someone just starting out. I bet my last dollar that years ago you worked hard and paid your dues to get those ADs to now call you. NO ONE waltzes in a place, blows them away and waits for the phone to ring....I can't imagine not working my tail off, both by continuous marketing and practicing. There are too many others out there seeking an income.

Also keep in mind NJ/Philly metro area isn't SW Ohio...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239379 - 08/06/08 06:11 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Hi Bill,

About as far as you travel south I just tell prospects that I kind of do what Bill Corfield does and they say "you're hired"

Oh god....That's funny...

I was in Hyde Park this week...We should consider sharing some contacts that make geographical sense sometimes.

At the very least, hook up for lunch or something...

Drop me an email if interested...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239380 - 08/06/08 06:12 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Good one Fran! I almost didn't make it out of one the other day. There's a 95 year old lady there who keeps telling me, "If you ever get tired of your wife, let me know, I've got money." The hell of it is, I think she's serious.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#239381 - 08/06/08 06:32 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Offline

Quote:

Let me tell you a story Zuki.......this afternoon I performed at a facility thats a regular client of mine....I just happened to take another road to go home that was unfamiliar to me ....as I was driving I noticed two brand new facilities within 500 feet of each other that I never been to...I said Hmmmmmm?.....pulled in the driveway, left my SUV running walked in, introduced myself, asked for the AD, gave her my card, she asked me what I did I told her to just go on my website & she did while I was standing there listened a few demos and started to sing along smiling & says this would be perfect for my residents.....turned back to me and booked 4 jobs! Sometimes its a easy as that if you have the goods.....it can also blow up in your face if you dont. I wish you luck out there but try to expand your services to include many different venues if you really want to succeed each will make up deficits down the road that will fill your calender.
A quality Website also will contribute to your tool box big time for many scenarios where you cant show off live.

Good Luck

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online