SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#239362 - 08/05/08 08:01 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bill, Gary and Steve,

Your comments are very refreshing and encouraging. I will do my best to get my courage and persona and try a few of these venues. I know my setlist is perfect for these places - yes, I do have lighter rock, pop and standards in there.

This year I've enjoying my summer so much that I have given little thought to playing out because of small trips sprinkled here and there. As things settle down in the fall i shoulod have more time to concentrate on playing. Thanks for all you great insights.

#239363 - 08/05/08 08:23 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Online   content

Tip:........

Don't be naive in this game....Call a few NH's...ask the AD when their TOP Entertainers will be performing there....then go see a few of them (incognito), see what they do.......after that, make sure Your Act is WAY above theirs in every way Vocally & Musically its imperative

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-05-2008).]

#239364 - 08/05/08 08:42 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good point Donny. Lots of entertainers never do this, or they tend to play things they like to play instead of what their audiences want to hear, which is a huge mistake.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239365 - 08/05/08 09:03 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
genesis12 Offline

Loc: Park Ridge, Illinois, USA
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments(especially Bill, Gary and Steve). It's greatly appreciated. This is a terrific group.

To answer some of your questions...We want to supplement our retirement income but, we're also willing to do some charitable work. Whether it be retirement communities or nursing homes doesn't matter.

Do any of you play two piece at these jobs or are you playing solo? How does two piece affect your pay? Also, who sets the pay scale or is it negotiable? When you first contact them, do you give them references that they can call or an audition CD?

Gene

#239366 - 08/05/08 09:09 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Dnj Online   content

Solo.......two peices cut your pay in half ;

#239367 - 08/05/08 12:40 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Hi Gene,

I started the senior home circut by first visiting a few places and checking out their entertainment. In most cases I learned what
entertainers charged by introducing myself, telling them why I was there, and asking questions. In every case, the response was congenial.

I then learned the name of the activity director, the address, and phone number... then called to speak with the AD (keep calling till you make direct contact), introduced myself, and in a few days sent a brief letter similar to the following:

"Dear Kelly,

This is to follow-up on our recent conversation and further introduce myself and my music. I’ve been entertaining for over 30 years and recently started performing at senior facilities. I sing and play the new Ketron arranger keyboard that sounds like anything from a grand piano to a full band. Knowing thousands of songs allows me to perform all styles of music from the 40s, 50s and 60s (plus 70s through today), bringing seniors the enjoyment that only their music provides.

Enclosed is a listing of recent area appearances. Feel free to call any of the them for a reference or to call me for additional information and for available dates."

Of course, the second paragraph can be included only after you've played a few performances.

Keep your fees at the average going rate, or perhaps *slightly* less than average to start out, but then immediately adjust the fee as soon as you can include that second paragraph. Since starting our ~ 6 years ago, I've increased my fees 4 times with no problem. (More frequent, lower increment fee increases are better than trying to make a larger adjustment after several years.) Tell them about the cost of gas and they immediately understand.

For your first performance, your playlist should be dynamite - the best of the best - mostly upbeat songs from the 40s through the 60s, a few country (old country), at least one polka, with the closing song something that'll stick in their mind and keep them humming the rest of the day. Have fun and good luck,

Glenn

#239368 - 08/05/08 01:58 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Ditto to all of the good comments on retirement homes. I got in on the thread a little late so don't have much to add that hasn't been covered except to say that it is some of the most gratifying work I have ever done. And I have pretty much covered the waterfront. Cass, you'd be perfect for it.

Best of luck to all,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#239369 - 08/05/08 02:26 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
zuki Offline

Don't be fooled that quality musicians don't play nursing homes - just ask me

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#239370 - 08/05/08 07:31 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by genesis12:
1) Do any of you play two piece at these jobs or are you playing solo? 2) How does two piece affect your pay? 3) Also, who sets the pay scale or is it negotiable? 4) When you first contact them, do you give them references that they can call or an audition CD?

Gene

1) Most often I'm performing Solo, occasionally I'll bring a Duo and for special facility events, I'll use my quartet...

2) Usually, I add their fee to my base charge. So, if I'm paying a guy, in our area to come in and play sax for an hour, and that's it, I'll try and get him at least $50-$75...

3) Its as negotiable as either one of us wants/needs it to be. If I say $125 for an hour and she counters $100, then the ball is in my court...Usually, I'll reason that do I want to lose $100 over $25? Probably not, but once I concede on price, then its a good time to ask for something in return like multiple bookings.

If I play 2 gigs a year at $125/ea. vs, 6 gigs a year at $100, then the take-home profit is very acceptable. ($250 vs. $600) I don't always insist on top dollar in this market. Generating a healthy amount of repeat business is very valuable.

4) I'll kind of do both...Providing they have internet access, I'll refer them to my website. Once they see my client list, testimonials and schedule-they know I'm legit. If they don't, I'll offer references up. Usually, from utilizing good listening skills, I can find someone else they know in the business who I've done work for...

I've also had some AD's say "I can tell from talking to you you know what you're doing.."

Questions like "how many beds is your facility" when they ask you about price or "What acuity level are most of your residents?" also demonstrate knowledge and experience...

NOTE: Some will certainly think, and perhaps respond that we should have a fixed price and if they don't meet that price-then we don't do business. That's something that each one of us needs to decide for ourselves. I'm very blessed to have a good reputation and not often get turned down on my original price quote. Fact of the matter is not all facilities have the same activities budget for entertainment. Many are census driven (i.e. When budgetary dollars are increased/decreased depending on the percentage of the occupancy of the facility.) One price, IMO, really can't be expected to work for all your clients...(If someone out there does have a rigid fee they always get, I'd suggest they may be under-pricing themselves or not doing this for a living?)

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 08-05-2008).]

#239371 - 08/05/08 10:23 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

======================================================================
QUOTE:

Dnj

Don't be naive in this game....Call a few NH's...ask the AD when their TOP Entertainers will be performing there....then go see a few of them (incognito), see what they do.......after that, make sure Your Act is WAY above theirs in every way Vocally & Musically its imperative
-------------
travlin'easy

Good point Donny. Lots of entertainers never do this, or they tend to play things they like to play instead of what their audiences want to hear, which is a huge mistake.

Gary

END OF QUOTE:
===========================================================================

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 08-08-2008).]

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online