SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#239352 - 08/03/08 01:03 PM Who plays retirement homes?
genesis12 Offline

Loc: Park Ridge, Illinois, USA
My partner and I have been playing music for over 50 years in the Chicagoland area and want to start playing retirement homes. I play the Ketron SD1 and he plays guitar and does the vocals. We've kept pretty busy over the years playing mostly dance music for a variety of posts and lodges but unfortunately the older vets are gradually dying out. Therefore, we're looking to start working retirement homes which we hear is a growing industry. Any suggestions for getting these gigs and the type of venue that goes over well would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gene

#239353 - 08/03/08 03:39 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Greetings Gene,

There are a few of our members that play at Rest Homes. I think Gary "travlin'easy" Diamond still does.

Even though I haven't done any Rest Homes myself I may at some point consider doing it. Because Rest Homes are filled with older people in their 70's, 80's, and 90's, etc. the era of the music most of them listened to was probably a lot of 30's/40's Swing, Jazz, and Big Band. Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, Frank Sinatra, Freddy Martin, Artie Shaw, The King Sisters, Sammy Kay, Vaughn Monroe, to name a few. Another big favorite of Rest Homes is playing and singing Gospel type music.

Don't expect the pay to be generous but if you find favor with the staff of any of the Rest Homes you may be able to aquire an extended contract with them with additional pay incentives.

That said, a lot of people do Rest Homes on an au gratis basis, considering it as giving back to the community or even as a personal ministry.

Either way, you would need to talk to the Director of the Rest Home(s) you are interested in playing at to setup a schedule and answer your questions regarding your engagements if they accept you.

Best,
Mike

#239354 - 08/03/08 05:27 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Gene-

I'm one of the "Nursing Home" guys I guess. If you do a search on nursing homes on Synthzone, I suspect you'll find plenty of very informative threads to review...

Is this for your income or is it a charitable or ministry type venture for you and your partner?

I'll be at this 13 years come Labor Day and in short believe you can make a decent living at it to supplement your weekend schedule. You must be professional, able to interact genuinely to the residents while also proving capable musically.

Our job as entertainers is to stimulate the residents as much as anything else.

The big band stuff is getting to be on the older edge of what the residents want to hear, IMO...

I'd suggest a variety of big band/swing/jazz along with country/oldies/gospel etc. Having something to offer everyone has its advantages. More and more I'm playing tunes from the 60's and 70's with great response.

Good luck, let me know if I can help at all...

Bill

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 08-03-2008).]

#239355 - 08/03/08 06:15 PM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Stick with the 50s, 60s and some 70s stuff, keep it upbeat and you can't go wrong. Sure, they like some Glenn Miller tunes, but not too many slow ones. Check out http://www.elderlivingsource.com/search/IL and you'll find loads of places to look at.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239356 - 08/04/08 06:09 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Gene, are you referring to retirement communities with active seniors or are you using retirement homes as an umbrella term for nursing homes, care facilities and retirement homes? I have not yet gone in this direction and found you question very interesting. For some reason hidden deep in my psyche I have a hard time dealing with nursing homes and infirmary type places. My hat is off to those here who can perform for the nursing homes; I can't do that - yet.
I would like to start at 55+ active communities and maybe see how things work out there. Is that what you meant with your question?

#239357 - 08/04/08 07:09 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Some good points have been brought up. I do both 55+ and nursing homes. I agree that they both like peppy type music, and not as old as one might think. I play a few of the big band, but they also like country,60's and 70's. The point about interaction is imperative at both venues. I can understand the reluctance to play where many are infirmed. I try to keep in mind that your music means so much to them in an otherwise hum drum life. Also, I remember a visiting wife who came up to me, afterwards, and thanked me profusely for coming, as her husband was a music lover, and just because he couldn't show it, didn't mean he wasn't deeply touched. When I first started, I was put off by the atmosphere, and lack of open responce by the infirmed. I got out of myself, and grew out of that real quick after learning not to judge a book by it's cover.

#239358 - 08/04/08 07:13 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I have not yet gone in this direction and found you question very interesting. For some reason hidden deep in my psyche I have a hard time dealing with nursing homes and infirmary type places. My hat is off to those here who can perform for the nursing homes; I can't do that - yet.
I would like to start at 55+ active communities and maybe see how things work out there.

Cassp- I think Gary would agree with me that the Nursing Home clients we serve are among our favorite and most profitable.

The gigs tend to be very straightforward and quite enjoyable. No drunks, no smoke, etc...Its normal for me to do two jobs a day and still be home for dinner, after depositing a reasonable chunk of cash into my bank, lol...

I certainly enjoy my private parties, club dates, band work, etc. but I really prefer to do the nursing homes/retirement communites/senior centers...

Given your background, you should consider trying a few...

Holler if I can help...

Good luck...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 08-04-2008).]

#239359 - 08/05/08 07:02 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From an economic standpoint the nursing home, assisted living, senior center and retirement communities are right up there at the top of the list. The payscale in this part of the world ranges from $100 to $150 an hour, which is about the same pay you would earn for a four hour job in an upscale, Italian Restaurant in Baltimore's Little Italy.

From a satisfaction standpoint, the NH circuit is the best. The audiences usually consist of wonderful people who are extremely appreciative, they look forward to each and every performance, and those who are not bound to wheelchairs and walkers love to dance and enjoy themselves. For these individuals when the entertainer shows up it's party time--even if it's 11:00 a.m..

In some instances, particularly at facilities that specialize in Alzheimers Disease, and most of the patients are in the advanced stages, you are playing to both the patients and staff. And, if you play at these locations monthly, you, unfortunately, see the devastating effects of the disease first hand. The patient that was dancing with the staff a few months ago may be asleep in his or her wheelchair and totally unresponsive the next time you see them. Fortunately, at least in this part of the Mid-Atlantic Region, the caregivers provide outstanding service.

The retirement communities where I perform have very active residents, even those who are well into the 80s and early 90s. Granted, the women outnumber the men by a huge margin, but everyone loves to dance, they are upbeat and positive about life, and they too are always looking forward to your next performance.

There's a huge contrast between performing the niteclub/bar/restaurant circuit and the NH circuit, both in working environment and payscale. I've done both and if given the choice, I'll take the NH circuit--no contest.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239360 - 08/05/08 07:28 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
From an economic standpoint the nursing home, assisted living, senior center and retirement communities are right up there at the top of the list. The payscale in this part of the world ranges from $100 to $150 an hour, which is about the same pay you would earn for a four hour job in an upscale, Italian Restaurant in Baltimore's Little Italy.

From a satisfaction standpoint, the NH circuit is the best. The audiences usually consist of wonderful people who are extremely appreciative, they look forward to each and every performance, and those who are not bound to wheelchairs and walkers love to dance and enjoy themselves. For these individuals when the entertainer shows up it's party time--even if it's 11:00 a.m..

In some instances, particularly at facilities that specialize in Alzheimers Disease, and most of the patients are in the advanced stages, you are playing to both the patients and staff. And, if you play at these locations monthly, you, unfortunately, see the devastating effects of the disease first hand. The patient that was dancing with the staff a few months ago may be asleep in his or her wheelchair and totally unresponsive the next time you see them. Fortunately, at least in this part of the Mid-Atlantic Region, the caregivers provide outstanding service.

The retirement communities where I perform have very active residents, even those who are well into the 80s and early 90s. Granted, the women outnumber the men by a huge margin, but everyone loves to dance, they are upbeat and positive about life, and they too are always looking forward to your next performance.

There's a huge contrast between performing the niteclub/bar/restaurant circuit and the NH circuit, both in working environment and payscale. I've done both and if given the choice, I'll take the NH circuit--no contest.

Good Luck,

Gary

Ditto to everything Gary said, other than the pay rate where I'm located is more like $75 to $125 for the hour.

I love the mid afternoon weekend gigs I do at nursing homes audiences love what I play. With a full time job it's great to pull into a NH home mid afternoon on the weekend, play the hour then be back at home and still be able to have the evening free.

I sometimes play mid afternoon at an NH near where I work, I skip lunch one day then take 2 hour lunch the next day, can't beat it. Of course it helps to have an understanding boss on the day job. Today after I leave the office I have an outdoor birthday party I'm playing at an NH 5:30 to 6:30 PM and can still be home to have dinner with the family.

#239361 - 08/05/08 08:00 AM Re: Who plays retirement homes?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I don't play nursing homes, Assisted Living places, etc. Around here, the only people who play these kinds of jobs do it because they really don't have the skills to do anything else. I have heard good performers in other areas, but the few who work here do it for little money and with negligible talent

What I do is play a job a week and have the client make out a check to an organization that lobbies for nursing home reform. That way, individuals get a tax deduction and corporations feel good about their assistance. I am very active in this organization and am their biggest contributor.

I have been a primary caregiver of relatives in nursing homes for over 14 years. I make daily visits and have been to many. What an eyeopener! When you really take a look at the level of care; from the expensive, "snoot" places, to the one who primarily service Medicaid residents, most are pretty pathetic.

This country desperately needs minimum care standards and much stronger compliance regulations, but the nursing home industry is very strong and fights any attempt at oversight.

I believe my time is better spent trying to fix the problems.

Russ

Note: While this work is not for me, I admire those of us who do it with the care and commitment these folks deserve.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-05-2008).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online