SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#238320 - 07/17/08 02:44 AM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
I do not play outside my home.

The arranger for me gives that warm wonderful feeling you get when you play in a full live orchestra! I recall that pleasure way back when in High School band etc. I always missed it.

Arranger gives me the ability to feel as though I am playing music with others.

Been playing arrangers since they came out. I will always have one or two around the house.

-Linda

#238321 - 07/17/08 09:05 AM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
OK, where do I start? I think back to the days when I was 20 years old, playing in a band that was playing for a singles club night and one night we came in to play only to find out we had been fired and instead of us they had a guy on a Chordovox with a drum machine. Well, the rest of the guys got really pissed off and left. I stayed and listened to him. He was the first OMB I had ever heard and he was really good. I said to myself, I can do that. I went to the music store where I was working and convinced them to sell me a Lowry organ at cost and a drum maching and the rest is history. After playing many configurations over many years with left hand bass, ect, I played my first arranger and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I still get that feeling today. I sit down and I have a full orchestra at my command and it's awesome. I do over 300 jobs per year and it never gets old. I can't wait for the next new board to come out. Long live arrangers!!!

Joe

Joe, your experience parallels my own.
The real joy I get from an arranger is sleeping until 10:00 a.m., then playing a little golf or fishing, then a quick shower and off to PLAY music for a living!! How great is that?
I never worry about the drummer being in a bad mood, or the bass man flirting with the guitar player's girlfriend. I can learn a new song and not have to teach it to anybody else.
I occasionally will use a midi file, but rarely. I enjoy playing the chords with the left hand and lead with the right, and don't give a damn whether anybody thinks it's cheating or uncool. Only times I am ever questioned is by out-of-work "musicians" who are paying to hear me. They don't understand how I am making more $$ than their whole band gets for a "gig".
I LOVE it!
DonM

#238322 - 07/17/08 09:11 AM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I enjoy playing the chords with the left hand and lead with the right, and don't give a damn whether anybody thinks it's cheating or uncool.

Exactly my sentiments, Don...well said.

Ian

#238323 - 07/17/08 09:13 AM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Joe, your experience parallels my own.
The real joy I get from an arranger is sleeping until 10:00 a.m., then playing a little golf or fishing, then a quick shower and off to PLAY music for a living!! How great is that?
I never worry about the drummer being in a bad mood, or the bass man flirting with the guitar player's girlfriend. I can learn a new song and not have to teach it to anybody else.
I occasionally will use a midi file, but rarely. I enjoy playing the chords with the left hand and lead with the right, and don't give a damn whether anybody thinks it's cheating or uncool. Only times I am ever questioned is by out-of-work "musicians" who are paying to hear me. They don't understand how I am making more $$ than their whole band gets for a "gig".
I LOVE it!
DonM

#238324 - 07/17/08 09:30 AM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
I'm a pianist first and have played in many bands. I enjoy playing with an arranger (T2) because it gives me the ability to play music that pleases me and my audience. Creative use allows for variation as well as a consistent professional performance. Would I prefer to always play in a band with four or five other musicians. Sure. Is it practical. No way.

The arranger is a great tool. I think it gets dinged when people use it as a crutch and depends too much on droning patterns and sometimes hokey features.

It's just a tool. You have to be a musician first. There's still no shortcut for practice, study, practice, listening, practice, and practice.

#238325 - 07/17/08 09:31 AM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Love to sit down witrh an arranger several times a day. Great for learning tunes and just having fun. Would rather not gig with them, but do when it's called for. Have an SD-5, Roland GW-8, MS-60 and a Midjay to play with at work and keep another MS-60 on a house job.

Neat little fun tools!

Russ

#238326 - 07/17/08 09:37 AM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
It's much better than playing the spoons, Tyros 2 has a better sound. My bookings have tripled since trading in the spoons. However the spoons are much lighter and are much easier to find a hardshell case to fit them that doesn't weigh a ton

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#238327 - 07/17/08 10:00 AM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I like what Trident said, " Joy? not at all....we are talking bliss here!!!

I echo that sentiment. The arranger opened doors for me musically that would have been closed, had I not picked up an arranger. I could have been playing a few cocktail hour type piano gigs here and there, but the arranger has got me gigs I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Actually it was my wife that bought me as novelty for a birthday a $159 Casio. Since I had a beautiful grand piano sitting in the living room I thought she was out of her mind buying this toy. I was about to return it. But started playing the thing and thought hey this lots of fun. The next 3 years followed with better and better arrangers....and more gigs along the way.

The only joy I don't get from an arranger is the feeling I get when sitting down at an acoustic piano and really being able to play expressively. Yea, you can play and sing with expression using an arranger, but for me who spent those early years playing piano, there is nothing like playing a piano solo with all the dynamics that go along with that instrument.

That being said, I would never trade my arranger for an acoustic piano.

#238328 - 07/17/08 11:34 AM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:
It's much better than playing the spoons, Tyros 2 has a better sound. My bookings have tripled since trading in the spoons. However the spoons are much lighter and are much easier to find a hardshell case to fit them that doesn't weigh a ton

Can you post something done on the spoons.

Donny

Whoops, I mean chas.

#238329 - 07/17/08 12:00 PM Re: How Much JOY does an Arranger Keyboard give you when Playing?
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
I really miss my four piece group (gave that up years ago) -but with my SD1-I don't have to worry about the drummer being late or being to loud-the horn man not wanting to play that mouldy oldie tune-on and on.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online