SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#237639 - 07/10/08 03:21 AM Re: TC Harmony M
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Thanks Don!
Do we know how lucky we are? I get up at 6 in the morning and there it is Don Masons review, after working all night he still found the time to go home and write a review.
A real pro that never has a bad word to say about anybody or anything.

thanks again Don! take the day off and go play some golf.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 07-10-2008).]

#237640 - 07/10/08 07:08 AM Re: TC Harmony M
Dnj Offline

Thanx for the review Don......cant wait for some demo songs.......

#237641 - 07/10/08 06:10 PM Re: TC Harmony M
mikeathome1 Offline

I was out of town today and when I got home there it was the harmony m waiting at my door a day early.
Probably won't open it until Friday though.

#237642 - 07/10/08 08:08 PM Re: TC Harmony M
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks for your opinion and take on it Don! I'm leaning in the direction of a HarmonyM myself. I actually purchased the new Digitech Vocalist Live Pro a couple of weeks back but I was disappointed with it so I returned it. After hearing the HarmonyM demos on TC-Helicons website it pert near convinced me right then and there that it was going to be a really good, to perhaps even a truly great product as well as a big seller and money maker for TC-Helicon. I'm glad it's turning out that way from your positive firsthand thoughts and opinion about it. My local GC should be getting them in soon hopefully too.

Best,
Mike

#237643 - 07/12/08 12:12 PM Re: TC Harmony M
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Thanks for the review, Don. How do you think it compares with the SD1 or SD5 harmonizer?

Glenn

#237644 - 07/12/08 12:28 PM Re: TC Harmony M
mikeathome1 Offline

Used the harmony M today. what a unit! so easy to operate and sounds great right out of the box.
That tone switch really sweetens up the vocal sound.
I'd say it's a nice little box for the price with some good presets but if you need more choices and control ya gotta spend more.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 07-12-2008).]

#237645 - 07/12/08 01:50 PM Re: TC Harmony M
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It doesn't have the gimmick voices that the SD1 and 5 have, but if you are looking for one or two-part harmony, with excellent effects and vocal processing, it is great.
I wouldn't use one instead of the harmonizer in the SDs, but I do use it with the Midjay.
DonM

#237646 - 07/13/08 03:43 PM Re: TC Harmony M
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I wouldn't use one instead of the harmonizer in the SDs, but I do use it with the Midjay.
DonM

Are you saying that you like the vocalizer in the SD1 "better??" than the HarmonyM unit Don?? If the answer is yes, you just put a big question mark in my possible HarmonyM purchase. Also, how does the HarmonyM compare to the VH's in the Korg's?? If there are better units in some arranger keyboards I will save the dough and just get an in-built VH on my next arranger purchase. Nevertheless, I will definitely try and demo a HarmonyM before making my final decision on whether to get one or not.

Best,
Mike

#237647 - 07/13/08 06:27 PM Re: TC Harmony M
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Mike for what it's worth, unless Yamaha do something really special with the T3, the only two built in harmonisers worth having are the Helicon in the PA series (better in the PA1/2) or the Roland in either the G70 or E80.

Certainly better than the Ketron and Yamaha(current) offerings.

From what I have read, the Harmony-M only gives 2 voices, whereas the Helicon in the PA2 gives you three (in PA800 2)..But I do think the G70 gives you 4. Fran or Diki could confirm that one.

The G70 (which I believe has almost the identical harmoniser that was in the Discover 5) is probably the easiest to use, and is, in my view, pretty much equal to the Korg version as far as soudn quality goes.

One big advantage with the PA2x is that it has built-in 48v phantom power for condensor mics.

Just for the record, I have owned the SD1+, Midjay, the Discover 5, PA1x/PA2x Tyros and the Helicon voiceworks rack. Just noting it to show I have experience with these units.

Dennis

#237648 - 07/14/08 04:33 AM Re: TC Harmony M
keybplayer Offline

Thanks Dennis. Two harmonies in the HarmonyM is a little bit limiting but it depends on a person's needs. Certainly the demos of the HarmonyM on the TC-Helicon website sounded pretty decent alright but I'm re-evaluating whether just two harmonies will cut it for my needs. I would really like to be able to get a choir effect and also a barbershop quartet, etc. In other words at "least" three harmonies but four would even be better. I would consider a Korg Pa2X but I would be losing 8 notes of polyphony (over a keyboard with 128 note polyphony) and when using the VH on the Pa2X I would be losing another 4 notes of polyhony when using a 4 voice VH preset. So that would take it down to 116. And with these ever more cpu and polyphony intensive new arranger keyboards the more polyphony the better. That's another reason I am excited about the Ketron Audya with its 197 notes of polyphony. Ketron may even surprise us by giving it 256 note polyphony. If the VH on the Audya turns out to be excellent - although I have my doubts after listening to previous demos of it - and if Ketron is able to keep the price down so people don't have to take a 2nd mortgage out on their house to buy one, then it may well be worth it to bide my time until the Audya actually ships to market before I consider divvying up the cash for a separate VH. I may be in for a loooooonnnnngggggggg wait though.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 07-14-2008).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online