SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#235770 - 06/10/08 07:27 AM Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I have a laptop that I use for mp3's during breaks and also for midi play back w/ an SD2 & Cakewalk Sonar software). I noticed that I spend about 10-15 min. +/- on set up and break down time just for that application. With power cords for both, midi interface, mouse, wait time to turn on and shut down and then neatly pack everything in a laptop bag. It's becoming a pain in the you know where. so I'm thinking about the midjay plus, but I read on the Ketron forum that is has some real bugs with arranger end of it (using it as an actual arranger w/ a midi controller).
Has anyone else used it or own it? plus/ minus, etc.

I think it would be easier since its one single unit, I can output right into the input of my yam s900.

I would want the plus since it has the SD5 styles vs. the orignal that has the SD1 styles.

opinions anyone or new ideas for my current application.......... Thanks

#235771 - 06/10/08 05:54 PM Re: Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My laptop powers up in about 2 minutes ... the same amopunt of time it takes for my PA800 to ready itself. All my connections are cable-tied in a small pocket of the laptop carry case that sits nicely in the top V of my X stand. (does that make sense?)
I love having 80 titles to look at at a time and the ease of using the arrow keys to scrool through songs before I select it with the "enter" key.

I only use the laptop in dance situations, but I really miss the versatilioy when I don't have it. My setup SAVES me time, not adds to it.

#235772 - 06/10/08 06:02 PM Re: Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I'm using xp, It takes 1-2 min to power up, but its more of the hassle of the mouse, (I don't like the touch pad), the sd2, midi interface, audio output for the laptop and the audio output for the sd2. I'm looking for something easier. Uncle Dave do you have a pic so that I can get idea of your setup.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 06-10-2008).]

#235773 - 06/10/08 06:07 PM Re: Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
You might want to consider a small roller ball controller instead of a regular mouse. This eliminates moving the mouse and just rolling the controller. It takes some getting used to, but works very well.

In the old days I had a minijoystic controller that really worked great, but I haven't seen anything like that lately. The IBM and Lenovo laptops have that little joystick, I think.

#235774 - 06/10/08 08:01 PM Re: Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've been on trackballs since the Atari ST days! Give me a static hand position, and a ball the size of a cue-ball (so you don't have to have a really precise thumb motion, you use your index and middle fingers on the ball, and thumb and fourth finger on the buttons) and I can work it all day long with zero fatigue.

I highly recommend the Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro... Wireless, and a plethora of buttons you can configure any way you want. Awesome ergonomics, once you make the move...

#235775 - 06/10/08 08:15 PM Re: Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
[B]. Uncle Dave do you have a pic so that I can get idea of your setup.
B]

you had mail but it bounced back. ...

listen to Uncle Dave

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-11-2008).]

#235776 - 06/11/08 08:44 PM Re: Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
you may want to check the sort of technical help you'll get if you run into serious problems http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum22/HTML/001161.html

Pretty much had to sort out any thing I didn't understand about my sd1 by myself.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mc:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 06-11-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#235777 - 06/11/08 08:59 PM Re: Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
Uncle Dave Offline

There is a pic of my setup at www.boydsongs.com
The kb is out of date, but the stand is the same.

#235778 - 06/12/08 06:32 AM Re: Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
And so,

...what about a Midjay?

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 06-12-2008).]

#235779 - 06/12/08 07:34 PM Re: Looking to replace a laptop w/ midjay
Uncle Dave Offline

My PA800 is just about as practical as a MidJay, but neither can show you the ammount of titles at once, like a laptop screen can. The visual is key for me .... I need help to find songs in a hurry, and the more I see at once, the better!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online