SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235466 - 06/05/08 07:50 AM Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
As I was checking posts just now, Fed Ex delivered my latest toy, a beautiful Parker Fly Acoustic. The box was totally destroyed!
I almost lost it! The thing looks like it's been through a war.

The case inside is damaged, but the guitar looks fine. The driver says that the turnstyle at their main hub hasn't been working properly, and wasn't surprised.

Literally every delivery from Fed Ex over the years has been damaged. The drivers will not let anyone else in our building sign for stuff when we're out, so we have to drive across town for a missed delivery.

We use UPS daily....about $2000.00 in shipments a month. In over 20 years, never a lost package or damaged shipment. The drivers are friendly and helpful...not the arrogant type that seems to be common at Fed Ex.

You should see this box. It obviously contained a guitar, not that that mattered, evidently. Talk about a company that dosen't give a damn!

Beautiful guitar, though...

Russ the unhappy Fed Ex customer

#235467 - 06/05/08 08:12 AM Re: Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
Dnj Offline

I have a FEDEX facility nearby that I use all the time .....never had a problem & shipworld wide sometimes also. Can't say the same for UPS......Although USPS does a better job.

#235468 - 06/05/08 09:27 AM Re: Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I agree with Donny, must be a local problem. Fed ex has always been good to me the supervisor has even called me when I'm not home to arrange a delivery. I went there once with big mackie subwoofers and keyboards and speakers and the girls at the desk unloaded the whole truck for me. OK I was on crutches but still nothing but nice.
Ups isn't too bad DHL is the worst.

Hey Russ did you check the psr s900 post
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/017592.html
I left a description of our system there in case you're interested.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 06-05-2008).]

#235469 - 06/05/08 10:32 AM Re: Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc., it doesn't matter which carrier you use they all have problems. Unless you package an item well enough that it can be dropped from at least 6-8 feet or more and survive, you may just receive a package that's destroyed. I've found that most often poor packaging is the culprit when damage happens. Of course the carrier could use better care when handling your package but always expect the worst to be on the safe side.

Most people aren't aware of this but the USPS subcontracts to FedEx and DHL for many of its shipments. If your package is larger than a small box its most likely being transported via FedEx or DHL if you ship it via USPS.

Another little known fact is most shipments that are supposed to be air packages actually travel via train. If the destination location isn't far from the shippers location, on a train it goes! You paid for Air and got the train. Who'd have thought?

#235470 - 06/05/08 01:28 PM Re: Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
captain Russ Offline

We have one full time shipper at my company. She is the packaging/tracking expert. That's why, I think, we don't have damaged shipments from my end. We ship over 300 packages a month...probably more than most people do in a lifetime. And, we get packages daily from all around the world.

After 20 plus years of doing this volume, with not one lost UPs shipment, UPS is my preference.

Use whatever works for you. After the massive damage today, and other damaged Fed Ex shipments, including several from George Kaye, we don't do business with Fed Ex.

Shipping, tracking and avoiding shipping damage is very important to our business.

We don't even talk to the Fed Ex rep, who calls on us frequently.

I'm glad Fed Ex works for some of you.
They don't come close to performing on a daily basis for us. And the damage to the container for my new Parker was inexcusable.

Russ

#235471 - 06/05/08 01:36 PM Re: Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
UPS, Most people aren't aware of this but the USPS subcontracts to FedEx and DHL for many of its shipments. If your package is larger than a small box its most likely being transported via FedEx or DHL if you ship it via USPS.

#235472 - 06/05/08 01:37 PM Re: Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hey Russ ,

What model did you get , just curios , after I read your post I did a search for Parker guitars and on there website they list there acoustics.

The P10E really caught my eye

That looks sweet , but until today , I haven`t heard much about Parker , ( of course I haven`t been looking ! ).

How are they ? and what are there cases like ?

My last guitar was a Guild D55 , how would you compare the Parkers to the older Westerly RI. built Guilds.

Many thanks

Gary 

#235473 - 06/05/08 01:48 PM Re: Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
captain Russ Offline

Gary, I have over 300 stringed instruments, and I would choose a Parker Fly Classic over all others if I had to have one instrument.

My favorite "oldie" is a 1964 Barney Kessel looking Guild double cutaway hollow body (Nigel posted photos a year or two ago-I bought it new when I was in college). I like the Parker Classic better. Coil taps, humbuckers, individual string piezo's and blend, plus beautiful lines...these things have it all!

I got a P6E...relatively inexpensive (little over $1000.00) because it's a narrow body, and I like to alternate between B-3 and guitar from the bench. The neck pick-up gives a great light jazz feel.

Check out the electrics (Fly's) and you'll see a familiar shape and recognize it as one that major players have used.

I'll now probably get the P10 for my office.

Prefer Parker over Guild, Taylor, Godin, Fender...anything else, and I have nearly every make and model you can imagine.

The case is velvet lined, with a velvet instrument cover. Hardware is antique brass.
Quality is excellent...as good as the cases my L-5's come in (no bag for the case, though).

Check Parker...especially the Fly's...out.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-05-2008).]

#235474 - 06/05/08 01:59 PM Re: Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The Fedex/UPS situation here is just about opposite. I get great service from Fedex, and it seems every package I get from UPS is ripped or bent or broken.
Just got some golf shafts today. I was out playing so Fedex left them behind the flower pot by the front door.
DonM

#235475 - 06/05/08 02:24 PM Re: Just now...Fed Ex Delivery...WOW!
captain Russ Offline

I know you've told me that before, Don. We can't even get Fed Ex to allow one of the tennants in our building to sign for shipments. Maby the rules are different for business deliveries.

(By the way, really glad to hear you got "the shaft" today)!

Be well, friend!

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online