SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#235101 - 05/30/08 08:02 PM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Cass, Thanks for the encouragement... it depends on the day... sinus problems sometimes!

Don,
I understand. Actually if I just admit it to myself... I need to play more and quit dinking with the technology as much.. But I enjoy it! Also, I really do think I could improve my singing if I just put out the effort and practice a lot...I'll never be Any Williams, but maybe to be able to do a few songs fairly well.

I do have fun with the Vocal Processor on the PA2 and T2. The PA2 is better quality (TC Halicon) but does not have pitch correction.

Sometimes I sound pretty good...just doesn't last long :-)

Lee

#235102 - 05/30/08 09:32 PM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How about, instead of technology, a good vocal coach?

Get professional help, and bad habits get pointed out and squashed far faster than going your own way. Good breathing, good posture, good habits for stamina... a good vocal coach will teach you all this in a fraction of the time it would take to pick it up yourself (if you EVER did).

We are never too old to learn, aren't we...?

#235103 - 05/30/08 09:55 PM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
How about, instead of technology, a good vocal coach?

Lee talk to SCOTT YEE he has been professionally trained by some very good Vocal Coaches.Read his Bio
http://scottyee.com/

scottyee@scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-30-2008).]

#235104 - 05/30/08 11:09 PM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Interesting topic and something I've recently gotten interested in again i.e. a professional vocal harmonizer. I don't need it for pitch correction per se, but if it came with that feature I wouldn't necessarily shy away from it and not get it, but my main objective in getting any PRO VH would be in the harmony aspect of it. I would like to take my solo voice and make a few duplications of it, changing it from a solo vocal into a harmonious blending four piece choir or barbershop quartet et cetera.

VH's are getting better as the technology and science at achieving realistic vocal harmonies advances and there are new products on the market today that look very intriguing. TC-Helicon seems to be at the forefront of VH technology, and along with their current product offerings, are probably without serious contention from its rivals, such as Digitech, etc.

So a sufficiently competent VH is most likely going to be my next serious purchase consideration. Deciding which one to get will require further research on my part as I particularly don't want to be too hasty in my decision and wind up getting something that I end up taking back. Decisions, decisions... TC-Helicon is right up there at the top of the list though.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 05-30-2008).]

#235105 - 05/31/08 02:53 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Mike, don't forget to also check out the Roland VP-550. Loads of fun very versatile. I love mine.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=771

Hit skip, then 'videos'.

Check out Don Lewis, an old clip but still impressive (and easy to duplicate; I know, I've done it, and I'm a lousy singer).

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 05-31-2008).]

#235106 - 05/31/08 12:11 PM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Cass do you prefer the VR over the Roland G70 VH?

I like the G70 VH for its simplicity in programming and pleasing sound. I really haven't used the Digitech enough to make an A/B comparison.

#235107 - 06/01/08 08:19 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Mike, don't forget to also check out the Roland VP-550. Loads of fun very versatile. I love mine.

chas

Yeah, I've heard about the VP-550 although I've never heard it in person yet. I was thinking more along the lines of a module as opposed to another keyboard though chas. I want to be able to use a VH with either my Tyros arranger or my brand spanking new "76" key ROLAND FANTOM G7.

I actually purchased a TC-Helicon "Voice Live" a couple years back but found it somewhat awkward to use, especially for live performance purposes; although that's what TCH was specifically touting it for, i.e., for live use. Two years though is a long time in the realm of electronic technology advancements and what's on the market now should be even more realistic and hopefully more user friendly as well. I will have to check with my local GC (Guitar Center), which should hopefully have a few different models in stock, and I got to get on over to TC-Helicon's web site and see what's cooking over there too. And Digitech's web site as well. Are there any other companies that make a pro VH besides TC and Digitech? I'm open to other company products too, if there are any.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 06-01-2008).]

#235108 - 06/01/08 08:35 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mike I still have a Tune 1000 Harmony Box...It has no presets, and is a vocoder instrument...No on board effects....but what is does...surpassed my Digitech workstation in quality of sound...harmony and lead vocals are clearer than Digitech..

For my money the Roland DisCover5 and G70 are the best..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-01-2008).]

#235109 - 06/02/08 06:48 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hey everyone... thanks for all the great input!

I'm not sure if it will help me. I know it would be fun to try.

Also, I attended the Sweetwater Sound Gearfest this last weekend and it was cool. Digitech was there with a semi with all their products and demoed a lot of them.
No keyboards, they were guitar players.

I spent an hour with one of the guys and had him take me through the Vocalist Live 4. I asked hime to demo the pitch correction. He purposely sang off key a little (seemed like a lot to me)and that baby put him right on and his voice sounded just like him without correction... no digital kind of influence. He was a good singer. He sang off key enough that it would have ruined the performance without the processor. I think I can get pretty close to the amount he was off in most of my singing if I work on it.

You could really tell how it was working as a set of headphones had the uncorrected voice (I held one side to my ear) while the front mix (lots of people listening too) sounded great.

Food for thought for me.

The harmonies and modeling were fun too.

So, now, which one is best....Digitech or TC-Helicon. I always related Digitech more to guitar players?? Any comments on that?

Lee

#235110 - 06/02/08 07:27 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
TC Helicon #1
Digitech #2

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online